Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

I don't normally have a problem with them. I do however get annoyed when there is one in front of me going side to side so that I can't pass. A few idiots give others a bad name.

The city spent £1000s making all these "cycle tracks" yet most cyclists will ride along side them but not actually use them. That does bug me.

Do you use roads that don't go where you need to go? Or require you to get out and push your car along, or travel at two thirds of your available speed? Or that are full of obstacles?

The road works go the full length of the houses on the left, about 300 yards.

So no chance of a cycle getting through them on a single phase of the green light then?

The problem isn't so much slowing you up, it's when the cars on the other side get a green light and set off and he's still trying to get through...

Regarding people's comments about drivers moaning he would slow up traffic through the road works, I would prefer him to slow me up than risk hitting a pedestrian. If you watch the video, I was giving him plenty of room and staying back. I would have been happy to hold back for the extra 30 seconds it would have put on my journey.

In my humble opinion, he was just being impatient and consequently risked putting pedestrians in danger. I would have been happier if he had kept his speed down on the pavement, but his speeding up showed no concern for others.

He should have gone at jogging pace if he was going to use the pavement though.

---------- Post added 12-07-2015 at 18:37 ----------

The city spent £1000s making all these "cycle tracks" yet most cyclists will ride along side them but not actually use them. That does bug me.

Have you considered why they might do this?

I was honked at aggressively in Rotherham yesterday by a guy on the opposite side of the road ... can only think it is because I was cycling on the shared pedestrian / cycle way and he thought it was a pavement ??

I also had to go through a red light yesterday to go over the road crossing for one of the reasons highlighted above - I missed the green light, so stopped & waited, but the induction loop didn't trigger, so after a couple of cycles (no pun intended) had to go through the light to use the road crossing

I don't normally have a problem with them. I do however get annoyed when there is one in front of me going side to side so that I can't pass. A few idiots give others a bad name.

What do you mean by "side to side"?

Could they be:

Weaving around pot-holes?

Weaving because they are trying to maintain their speed and its hard to maintain perfect balance when doing that, especially if its even slightly uphill?

Also as others have said, often the cycle tracks will take you miles out of your way, or the motorists are driving too close for it to be safe so you ride further out, closer or IN the primary position.

Motorists get ****** about having to take detours that literally just cost them a few pence/minutes more. For a cyclists however a detour could ultimately mean you never get there, as you can't just fill up your stamina at the nearest petrol station.

What people forget, not all cyclists are in perfect health, or you might see them near the END of their trip when they are worn out.

In fact, I started cycling BECAUSE my health is poor and I wanted to try and improve my lung capacity while also not have to deal with the stress of buses, especially having to catch two to get to the Hallamshire Hospital which means setting off an hour or more earlier than it takes on a bilke.

I also had to go through a red light yesterday to go over the road crossing for one of the reasons highlighted above - I missed the green light, so stopped & waited, but the induction loop didn't trigger, so after a couple of cycles (no pun intended) had to go through the light to use the road crossing

Get off, walk round the lights, re-mount. Simple: no law-breaking, no risk to pedestrians and perhaps even faster for the cyclist sometimes?

You cannot do this in a car, so despite the humiliation of having to behave as a pedestrian, a cyclist can still feel morally superior to a car driver.

Get off, walk round the lights, re-mount. Simple: no law-breaking, no risk to pedestrians and perhaps even faster for the cyclist sometimes?

You cannot do this in a car, so despite the humiliation of having to behave as a pedestrian, a cyclist can still feel morally superior to a car driver.

zero pedestrians, dropped kerb next to light ...no danger to car drivers :)

I was honked at aggressively in Rotherham yesterday by a guy on the opposite side of the road ... can only think it is because I was cycling on the shared pedestrian / cycle way and he thought it was a pavement ??

A little tip if you do have to cross a junction that you know sometimes doesn't pick you up

Stop at the induction sensor, if you can see it. Put a foot on the ground and lean the bike over so that the front wheel is over at 45 degrees or more directly over the sensor, rather than being perpendicular to the ground. The big circular rim is much more likely to register.

If you have carbon fibre rims, ignore what I just said

Do you use roads that don't go where you need to go? Or require you to get out and push your car along, or travel at two thirds of your available speed? Or that are full of obstacles?

NO! But I do pay road tax.

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 07:26 ----------

Unless they're going side to side across two whole lanes of traffic, then the fact that you can't pass is probably a sign that it's wouldn't be safe for you to pass there.

Strangely enough, I actually passed my driving test, I DO know when it is or isn't safe to pass a vehicle:roll:

I am always considerate of other road users and I keep well back from any in front of me. This one knew I was signaling to pass but kept moving to the right of the lane then back again and the looking back and grinning. Held up traffic for ages. Then cyclists wonder why drivers get peed off.

Just for the record I do have a bike which I use when I go cycling with my grandson. On the cycle tracks.

It's hard to tell whether you're joking or not. I'm guessing, based on your earlier post, that you're not.

Do you think that this gives you more rights to use the road?

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 08:55 ----------

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 07:26 ----------

Strangely enough, I actually passed my driving test, I DO know when it is or isn't safe to pass a vehicle:roll:

I am always considerate of other road users and I keep well back from any in front of me. This one knew I was signaling to pass but kept moving to the right of the lane then back again and the looking back and grinning. Held up traffic for ages. Then cyclists wonder why drivers get peed off.

Just for the record I do have a bike which I use when I go cycling with my grandson. On the cycle tracks.

I think that saying "I pay road tax" should be made illegal and punishable by attending of a course to tell you why you don't pay road tax - no one does. http://ipayroadtax.com/ goes some way to explain this.

And given that you ride on the cycle tracks you will understand how absolutely awful they are, that is why I do not ride on them. It is also my right to ride on the road and I will continue to do so for my own safety and convenience. I have equal right to be there as you do.

Also, I will ride on the middle of my lane when it is not safe for you to pass and I will pull over to the left when I consider it safe for you to pass. I do not trust people to make that judgement correctly. This is what you call riding "side to side". It is the taught method of riding safely in the new national cycling standard which replaced the cycling proficiency and also just makes sense. If i sit and hug the curb people squeeze through extremely close, I have been clipped by a wing mirror before. If i take control then people give me space.

Edited by TimmyR

No you don't. You pay Vehicle Excise Duty. Just like I do for my car.

Can I have a refund for the days I'm using my bike instead?

Then cyclists wonder why drivers get peed off.

Are you confusing 1 cyclist with all cyclists? Do you have the same problem with motorists?

And if you use cycle tracks you'll know that there are good reasons not to use them sometimes.