Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

If anyone wants to see how often red lights are ignored by motorists just go down Corporation Street and watch the traffic at the lights at either side of Alma Road (near the Tesco Express). I have lost count of the times these lights are ignored. It seems red on this section of the road is optional.

All the cyclists I seem to see are the ones that break the law.

Can someone answer this for me? Are cyclists allowed both ways down a one-way street with no cycle lanes?

Reason I ask is because a few days ago as I was turning into a one-way street and there was a female cyclist coming down. I was going at normal speed and indicated but when I saw her I politely stopped to let her past so I was sort of half turned into the street. When she saw me she panicked, god knows why, pressed her brakes and almost fell off her bike. I am guessing she was a newish rider. Behind her, who I am assuming was her boyfriend decided to stop next to me and said "You could indicate you know". At which point I told him firstly I was indicating and secondly him and his partner were coming down a tight gap on a one-way street the wrong way. To this he replied "Cyclists can".

So this is the reason I am asking. It was quite cheeky of the man to challenge me as I had stopped to let them past. These are the type that give cyclists a bad name, it's not my fault his partner doesn't know how to use the brakes on her bike :loopy:

No they can't.

Which street was it?

Glen road in nether edge towards the bottom where it is very tight.

Here's where I disagree with you. It is a minority of cyclists who break the law (red lights, pavement riding, dangerous maneuvers etc). Just as it is a minority of motorists who also break the law (red lights, speeding, dangerous driving).

Actually, surveys indicate that a majority of motorists break the law.

I pass the bottom of Glen Road twice a day (mostly on my bike) and I don't think there is anything allowing cyclists to go down there against the one way system. If there is a sign allowing it, it's not on google streetview thingy. I will check on my way home tonight. It appears that guy was in the wrong then.

Richard

Actually, surveys indicate that a majority of motorists break the law.

Surveys indicate that 105% of all surveys produce inaccurate results

This Glen Rd?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.358907,-1.487968,3a,75y,119.92h,65.7t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s8zwN4lE1GNMpTF7ExE7tpA!2e0!6m1!1e1

No, not this one, I found the correct one.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 13:48 ----------

I'd say that the repeated no entry signs here where cycles CAN access it via a cycle path make it quite clear that it's one way for cycles as well.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.358026,-1.484618,3a,75y,34.17h,75.28t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1syuu-M4nbnJc3NmcZK1l1Yw!2e0

All the cyclists I seem to see are the ones that break the law.

Well, here's the thing

The only cyclist I remember from yesterday morning is the one that hopped up the kerb to try to bypass a red light, the lights changed and he ended up not being able to join the road again, actually losing ground

The only driver I remember from yesterday evening was the one that wanted to go up Netherthorpe Road/Hoyle Street from Cornish Street (https://goo.gl/maps/4O2O6) - so pulled the wrong side of the traffic island and waited until oncoming traffic faced a red light and darted across with A61 Penistone Road traffic approaching on green

I don't remember any other cyclists or drivers...the vast majority of which were using the roads safely and correctly

However Sheffield is known as one of the friendliest cities and is supposed to be one the most sought after Uni's for graduates to study town-planning.

Sheffield is friendly.

I really hope you are wrong about the town planning unless its to learn what mistakes to avoid.

I do wonder at times what kind of dump sheffield will be transformed into before the people who tell the existing planners what to do are done away with.

Well, here's the thing

The only cyclist I remember from yesterday morning is the one that hopped up the kerb to try to bypass a red light, the lights changed and he ended up not being able to join the road again, actually losing ground

The only driver I remember from yesterday evening was the one that wanted to go up Netherthorpe Road/Hoyle Street from Cornish Street (https://goo.gl/maps/4O2O6) - so pulled the wrong side of the traffic island and waited until oncoming traffic faced a red light and darted across with A61 Penistone Road traffic approaching on green

I don't remember any other cyclists or drivers...the vast majority of which were using the roads safely and correctly

I've seen the Cornish Street manoeuvre before, it's really poor driving.

Edited by SnailyBoy

I've the Cornish Street manoeuvre before, it's really poor driving.

You missed your verb - was it "seen" or "committed"? ;-)