Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

That's an interesting article, but it ignores some physical factors about the 'rules' followed by people in cars etc. The main one is of course, that bikes are thinner than cars and don't have to sit behind a queue when there's room to overtake (on the outside, at the crown of the road, naturally). That's characterised by the article as not playing fair, but if there was a very thin car, a driver could do that too. There's no natural reason or point to a cyclist tamely waiting in a stationary queue when they can keep riding the outside up to the traffic lights (where they will of course, stop and wait for them to change). To put it another way, the cyclist hasn't deliberately taken anything from the car driver by exploiting the size of their vehicle to their advantage. People in cars gain things that cyclists don't, e.g. faster acceleration and general speed. I personally don't hold that against them, and do my best to stay out of the way so they can zoom past me.

Very much agree with you. The article is slanted to the motorist perspective, but if you are looking at the 'moral point of view' psychologically, the motorist 'moral point of view' is in the ascendent in society whereas the very logical cyclist 'moral point of view' based on being not so threatening, skinny and speedy is still discounted in the 'who is allowed on the road - I pay my road tax' discourse'. No matter how many times you tell them road tax no longer exists. The article is biased in favour of the motorist but throws up a very interesting psychological analysis of the car/bike divide.

Complete and utter tosh lol

Explain to me why that's tosh.

I cycle and drive and have 1st experience of this. Do you cycle.

I don't think that the question in the thread title can be answered, until we have worked out why people who wouldn't normally say "boo" to each other, let alone a goose, turn into ranting maniacs towards each other from within the confines of a car

Explain to me why that's tosh.

You dont need me to explain why its complete and utter tosh. Its self evident, Read it back a few times till the penny drops.

I don't think that the question in the thread title can be answered, until we have worked out why people who wouldn't normally say "boo" to each other, let alone a goose, turn into ranting maniacs towards each other from within the confines of a car

You buy a car you're sold a pup. Just about every car advert going has cars whizzing round empty mountain roads. You part with more money than for any purchase other than a house to buy into this dream. Sadly that's exactly what it is- a dream. Reality of driving is sitting stuck in traffic most of time. People are jarred off as they pay a lot of money to do that. Nothing like their expectations so they turn very angry.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I don't think that's the cause. I've never bought a car based on an advert, a car's not a fun or aspirational purchase for me - it's a means to an end. I buy a car to enable me to get to work and to drive myself and the family around, to get places not to enjoy the leisure of driving. The frustration comes from that necessity - if I'm late for work I probably have to work harder or later, if I'm late back then I lose a chunk of my evening so I want to keep that driving time as low as possible. If I'm stuck on the M1 or behind some idiot going half the speed limit ("it's a maximum, not a target" oh just shut up), I get wound up as I'm focused on the consequences of a situation beyond my control. Or I try to take control of the situation which can mean some dubious driving practices. In my experience that's more likely the reason drivers get wound up, not because we all thought it would be like zooming around the Pyrenees. Personally I don't mind cars, bikes or motorbikes as long as they don't hold me up. It's all about getting from A to B.

Something I've noticed car drivers doing to other car drivers - when a driver slows down and indicates to turn off at a junction, or stops to wait for the other lane of traffic to clear. A faster car approaches from behind and instead of slowing a bit, waiting a second or two for the turning car to go, and/or overtaking, they speed up, swerve round them, sounding their horn as they go. How dare somebody prevent them from travelling at the maximum by turning left/right! I think that road users in general but car drivers in particular have been programmed to think that speed is always of the essence. That if they don't travel at the fastest they can manage, something important in life will be forever lost. But actually, it won't.

You dont need me to explain why its complete and utter tosh. Its self evident, Read it back a few times till the penny drops.

Your entitled to your opinion. Even when you are wrong but don't worry about it. I'll smile just to make your day. ?

Your entitled to your opinion.

Yes i know :)

In answer to the original question, I'd lay quite a lot of blame on UK media, particularly the petrolhead fraternity of 'Top Gear'.

I cycle most days, but I love topgear :o

Youd better hope you have witnesses around then if this bloke does manage to wrestle you in the cobbles and takes your proof.

I would happily report the assault too :)

I would happily report the assault too :)

I hope youre quicker reporting the assault than you were replying to the thread:hihi: