Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

In the relative short time I've properly lived in Sheffield, I've witnessed a disproportionate amount of abuse and aggressive deliberate dangerous driving from motorists towards cyclists. As a motorist only I find this extremely shocking and wondered where all this animosity comes from, and why anyone even bothers to commute by bicycle in Sheffield?

Guest sibon
In the relative short time I've properly lived in Sheffield, I've witnessed a disproportionate amount of abuse and aggressive deliberate dangerous driving from motorists towards cyclists. As a motorist only I find this extremely shocking and wondered where all this animosity comes from, and why anyone even bothers to commute by bicycle in Sheffield?

Car users would be much more forgiving if those pesky cyclists actually paid road tax.

The general state of the cities roads, design and disrepair. The thousands of unnecessary road signs, traffic lights etc make driving in Sheffield very stressful.

Add on to that having to second guess what a person on a bicycle is about to do next and I guess its too much for some.

According to new signage put out by the council on Nursery St vehicles are not to overtake cyclists. This would make my daily commute take rather a lot longer.

Personally I've never seen any animosity towards cyclists, thankfully

Car users would be much more forgiving if those pesky cyclists actually paid road tax.

Noughty! Noughty! [sic]

Guest sibon

Noughty! Noughty! [sic]

Did I mention that they all run red lights too?

I've mostly lived in north suburban London which apparently is known as one of the main epicentres of bad driving, which is probably due to so many appalling designed junctions, very little cycle infrastructure and nasty over-zealous parking wardens.

However Sheffield is known as one of the friendliest cities and is supposed to be one the most sought after Uni's for graduates to study town-planning. But you're probably right, the disproportionate amount of terrible planned junctions with anti-car, anti-cycle and anti-pedestrian friendly planning is more than a shocking embarrassment and must be a factor in all this hostility towards cyclists. Shame on SCC :(

Myself personally think that most but not all cyclists in Sheffield have this 'hit me if you dare' attitude towards motorists and I have witnessed some real aggressive behaviour from cyclists banging on car roofs and kicking the sides of cars etc, although I have to say have never had a problem myself personally years ago when I was taught to drive my instructor always said to 'allow a cyclist his wobble' and I have always gone on that advice.

lets take a trip down memory lane...

My view is this, most drivers are decent people. Some are not. Cyclists are vulnerable and visible and so become the targets of the aggression of morons in cars. Particularly the ones who are stuck in traffic.

There is no doubt that cycling is the fastest form of transport during busy periods and the smugness this brings is more than enough to help me deal with the actions of the morons.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 07:12 ----------

Myself personally think that most but not all cyclists in Sheffield have this 'hit me if you dare' attitude towards motorists and I have witnessed some real aggressive behaviour from cyclists banging on car roofs and kicking the sides of cars etc, although I have to say have never had a problem myself personally years ago when I was taught to drive my instructor always said to 'allow a cyclist his wobble' and I have always gone on that advice.

Can you blame a cyclist for trying to kick back when someone is threatening their safety?

Edited by TimmyR

2nd post and this idiocy pops up. :suspect:

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 07:29 ----------

I cycle most days and it's quite rare that I come across a problem driver, a bad driver is more common, but still not every day.

Most are fine some are a danger themselves and others

This was yesterday, minor incident;

Only minor because I shouted and the car stopped before running into me. Inattention from an elderly driver!

Your right completely. My OH is a cyclist and although she doesnt volunteer to pay road tax I think they should. Why should someone get away without paying tax.