Guinea Pig advice

Hi,

Our son has for a while now expressed an interest in having a Guinea Pig.

The only experience I have of one is about 28 years ago when my cousin had one which lived in the kitchen in a large cage, one day we decided it smelt and decided to give it a bath..... i say bath, we got as far as covering it in about 3/4 of a bottle of fairy before my aunty caught us......to be fair it lived for at least another 3 years!

I obviously now realise that this is not appropriate, however thats about all I know. So I have about 1000 questions before the decision is made.

We have had a rabbit before. Are the principles similar? Will it require flea and worming every month?

Is a cage and run adequate? Can it live outside all year? Would moving it's hutch into the shed during the colder winter months be more appropriate? Are they more suited to live in pairs or alone?

Should we rescue one or find a breeder? I have in the past seen some with smooth coats and some with wavy/funky fur as a beginner is there a variety that would be more suited to us.

We have said that if he is still as eager after our holiday in June then we will get one but I wanted to get some answers. I apologise for the possible silly barage of questions. Thanks in advance.

We have had a rabbit before. Are the principles similar? Will it require flea and worming every month?

no worming and fleeing is required

Is a cage and run adequate? Can it live outside all year? Would moving it's hutch into the shed during the colder winter months be more appropriate? Are they more suited to live in pairs or alone?

is much better if they can be indoors in the winter months and you need to have 2 as they are sociable animals, a large wooden cage and a garden run is ideal, the more room the better

Should we rescue one or find a breeder? I have in the past seen some with smooth coats and some with wavy/funky fur as a beginner is there a variety that would be more suited to us. you can get them from rescue, or pet shops although a lot of people don't like this and any variety is fine

We have said that if he is still as eager after our holiday in June then we will get one but I wanted to get some answers. I apologise for the possible silly barage of questions. Thanks in advance.

Fab! Mary 70 Thanks!

---------- Post added 22-04-2015 at 21:52 ----------

So if they are better in pairs, do they need neutering or should you keep same sex pairs?

Hi sTarlette yes rabbits do require worming with panecur , Please PM peaches on here she can advise you

Hi sTarlette yes rabbits do require worming with panecur , Please PM peaches on here she can advise you

Rabbits do? Only I'm asking about Guinea's :)

I have four guinea pigs, they make good pets, and are quite vocal when excited. I keep mine in the utility room, which is heated in winter. They like company, as in the wild they live in family groups. and two of the same sex is ideal.

I keep mine in sawdust, about 2/3 inches deep, and clean them out once a week. I remove excess green food, which has not been eaten on occasions to prevent it going rotten and smelling. They have a permanent hay rack, so they can nibble all the time, and dried pig food, for extra vitamin C, which they need as they do not make it themselves naturally. I give them greens twice a day - this can get a bit expensive, if you do not buy veg which is in season, but in the summer they will eat clover and dandelions from the garden. You will need to clip their nails, but the vet will do this if you cannot manage it.

I think Pets at Home at Woodseats, is a good place to go for pets, although not everyone likes Pets at Home, but there are plenty of information on the Internet, and you can buy books on Amazon, aimed at the beginner for a few pounds.

They do constantly eat and poo, but they are animal which have real character. I don't find mine smell to much, except when the house is closed up sometimes, and I just put some fresh bedding in and try and keep them clean, especially in the summer.

So if they are better in pairs, do they need neutering or should you keep same sex pairs?

We never neutered our ones (males) and they always behaved, one took on the role of dominant pig and they were very happy together.

Ours used to like a salt stone to lick every now and then, and obviously being rodents they need something to chew on to keep their teeth in check.

Ours preferred to chew the dividing wall of their hutch, but you can get bits and bobs to put in the hutch for them to chew on as well.

Edited by geared

Well done for doing your research first Starlet. If you do decide to get some and you need someone to have your piggies while you're on holiday etc, I'd be happy to have them down here with me and look after them for you :)

If you are going to get guineas then it's important to be aware that there are some foods you shouldn't give them. The main ones are potato, rhubarb and tomato plant leaves!

If you are going to get guineas then it's important to be aware that there are some foods you shouldn't give them. The main ones are potato, rhubarb and tomato plant leaves!

and buttercups

Well done for doing your research first Starlet. If you do decide to get some and you need someone to have your piggies while you're on holiday etc, I'd be happy to have them down here with me and look after them for you :)

Ohhh Angel you are an absolute gem. Thank you! On a complete side note do you know who's the ginger and white cat possibly a tom is that seems to think I need serenading from around 10am and then again from 4.30am!

You can actually feed potato, only if its cooked and mixed with oats. I'm happy for you to come over and see/handle my piggies with your son if you wish, I'm available most of the time and can help you find the right type of piggies for you. Please don't go to P@H, they wont be handled and often havent been treated for mites and lice.