Oliver Coppard to win sheffield hallam?

The Lib-Dems are so worried about Hallam that their candidate in Central, Joe Otten, is canvassing for Clegg rather than for himself;

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/02/nick-clegg-future-lib-dem-hanging-in-the-balance

Otten is nothing more than a paper candidate in Central, despite coming only a few votes from taking the seat in 2010 the Lib Dems aren't campaigning there.

In the words of your great leader: "Calm down dear".

I won't be booking your services if you just tell clients to calm down!

I won't be booking your services if you just tell clients to calm down!

Fortunately you are not a Client, you are, however, a very good representative of what Theresa May called "the nasty party".

I'm sure that your namesake, Lord Ashcroft will be thrilled to read your critique of his polling methods. He's actually pretty good you know.

For what it is worth, I think that Clegg will win. There are a lot of Tory votes out there that will switch to Clegg to keep Labour out. If you look at the Ashcroft poll, there is nothing between Labour and the Lib Dems, but Labour don't have the potential tactical votes.

Coppard has fought an impressive campaign though.

Ashcroft's polls are deliberately biased towards Labour. The whole point of them is to mobilise tories and liberals into turning out.

I don't like Coppard. I think it's that city boy geezery thing he's got going on that rubs me the wrong way.

Ashcroft's polls are deliberately biased towards Labour. The whole point of them is to mobilise tories and liberals into turning out.

That's a bold claim, if you look at the Sheffield Hallam polls they have Lib Dems and Labour neck and neck. It will encourage everyone to turn out.

His national poll has the Tories 6 points up while the BBC poll of polls has them only one point up.

I don't know about that but I suspect mentioning it on a local forum will certainly galvanise the anti Labour vote. It certainly did down our local. Clegg might be buying a pint for ubermaus on May 8th.

A survation poll by the Mail on Sunday has Labour three points ahead.

I don't like Coppard. I think it's that city boy geezery thing he's got going on that rubs me the wrong way.

For me, it's his smug, self-satisfied smirk. It will be very nice to see it wiped off his face when Hallam is announced early Friday morning.

What the hell does this mean? He hardly seems like a geezer :loopy:

For me, it's his smug, self-satisfied smirk. It will be very nice to see it wiped off his face when Hallam is announced early Friday morning.

I think the smug thing applies equally to both main contenders for Hallam

I think the smug thing applies equally to both main contenders for Hallam

Every parliamentary candidate has to appear smug. Anything other that total self confidence and they are toast.

The Lib-Dems are so worried about Hallam that their candidate in Central, Joe Otten, is canvassing for Clegg rather than for himself

Partially true, but misleading.

Joe Otten is canvassing in the Sheffield Parliamentary constituency of Hallam. However, he's the Lib Dem candidate for Dore & Totley Ward on Sheffield City Council where he's been a councilor for several years. Nick is covering the country, and Hallam. Joe is covering Central, and Dore & Totley, so he is canvassing for himself.

He may lose both contests, but he's unlikely to win both.