Oliver Coppard to win sheffield hallam?

Spineless isnt what we require in our local politicians.

---------- Post added 29-04-2015 at 15:36 ----------

Betrayal was tuition fees followed by forgemasters loan.

Plus the pervasive sense that Clegg is uninterested in Sheffield. People feel that we don't see much of him, and when he was here that notable time we had the embarrassing Ring of Steel to protect him from the people - as though we were marauding, dangerous Northerners. The Liberal Democrats will benefit in the long term if Clegg loses in Hallam. They need some time to regroup and rediscover their political heart.

We should organise a Sheffield Forum special Election Night Party on May 7th.

We could hold it a suitable establishment in the Hallam constituency (what do you mean you don't live in Hallam? :-P)

All the main contributors on this thread would be invited. Each would wear an appropriately coloured rosette bearing their Forum name.

The winners would get to throw bar snacks at the depressed losers...

From Wikipedia:

However in 2011, following the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, the company decided to no longer try to finance a 15,000 ton forging press due to uncertainty about the future of nuclear energy.

And from the Financial Times: Sheffield Forgemasters poised to shun funds

So if they had borrowed the £80m and built the press, they'd have been saddled with an £80m debt and not enough new business coming in to pay for it. Labour's blatant attempt to influence people with a loan they had no funding for could well have caused Forgemasters financial problems.

We should organise a Sheffield Forum special Election Night Party on May 7th.

We could hold it a suitable establishment in the Hallam constituency (what do you mean you don't live in Hallam? :-P)

All the main contributors on this thread would be invited. Each would wear an appropriately coloured rosette bearing their Forum name.

The winners would get to throw bar snacks at the depressed losers...

In the event of a Coppard win for Hallam, though I am a Labour supporter I don't think I would have the heart to throw snacks at the Conservative and Lib Dem voters. Politics aside I think it might bring on a real crisis for the Conservatives to find themselves living in a Labour constituency. Some of them find it difficult to believe that anyone speaking up for Labour on the Forum is from Hallam, or else they accuse you of being Coppard himself in disguise. Plus, they seem so angry all the time I am not sure it would be wise as Labour voter to turn up

From Wikipedia:

And from the Financial Times: Sheffield Forgemasters poised to shun funds

So if they had borrowed the £80m and built the press, they'd have been saddled with an £80m debt and not enough new business coming in to pay for it. Labour's blatant attempt to influence people with a loan they had no funding for could well have caused Forgemasters financial problems.

Clegg wasnt to know that.

---------- Post added 29-04-2015 at 16:20 ----------

Its about trust. I wouldnt want a politician that will sell us down the river at the first opportunity.

---------- Post added 29-04-2015 at 16:22 ----------

Plus the pervasive sense that Clegg is uninterested in Sheffield. People feel that we don't see much of him, and when he was here that notable time we had the embarrassing Ring of Steel to protect him from the people - as though we were marauding, dangerous Northerners. The Liberal Democrats will benefit in the long term if Clegg loses in Hallam. They need some time to regroup and rediscover their political heart.

Seen him sniffling around dore..thats his happy place.

Flippineck, he's been in Sheffield loads during the parliamentary term. I'd've liked him to be around more during the election campaign for hustings, but he's been leading a national campaign. If Ed Milliband was your MP would you be as aggrieved that he'd not spent much time in his constituency during a general election campaign?

And in terms of his ring of steel, he's deputy Prime Minister and has to deal with people like you who feel irrationally aggrieved about him reneging on promises he didn't make - I'm not surprised he has a security detail.

Looks like lots of torries could vote for lib dem according to Lord Ashcrofts latest poll...

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 17s18 seconds ago

Sheffield Hallam constituency poll (Ashcroft):

LAB - 37%

LDEM - 36%

CON - 15%

UKIP - 7%

GRN - 4%

Clegg wasnt to know that.

No. I was just pointing out that the protestations about it being so harmful to a Sheffield company are false.

Only Labour supporters aren't suspicious of the timing of them promising a loan they had no plan for funding just before an election they expected to lose.

Looks like lots of torries could vote for lib dem according to Lord Ashcrofts latest poll...

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 17s18 seconds ago

Sheffield Hallam constituency poll (Ashcroft):

LAB - 37%

LDEM - 36%

CON - 15%

UKIP - 7%

GRN - 4%

Yeah, given that they know that

a) they'll be represented by either Clegg or Coppard

b) a Tory government is most likely to be delivered through the Lib Dems

c) point b is more likely to happen through Clegg than Farron

d) it's so close that a vote for Clegg will actually have real significance for this election (unlike a vote for Walker)

...I think a good proportion of that 15% will put their cross against Clegg.

Yeah, given that they know that

a) they'll be represented by either Clegg or Coppard

b) a Tory government is most likely to be delivered through the Lib Dems

c) point b is more likely to happen through Clegg than Farron

d) it's so close that a vote for Clegg will actually have real significance for this election (unlike a vote for Walker)

...I think a good proportion of that 15% will put their cross against Clegg.

Lord ashcroft polled con voters who say actually they are less likely to vote for clegg.

And in terms of his ring of steel, he's deputy Prime Minister and has to deal with people like you who feel irrationally aggrieved about him reneging on promises he didn't make - I'm not surprised he has a security detail.

The security is pretty much mandatory, do you remember the photos of David Cameron riding his bicycle into work but being followed by a car and security details, even if a minister wants his freedom he can't have it.