Bus drivers - make mine a pleasant day !!

Why do we (well some of us) thank the bus driver. It's a practice that has only arisen during the last twenty or so years. Even when we had sociable conductors, I don't remember people thanking them. Surely they should be thanking us for paying the extortionate fares and being joggled about in a seat designed to fit a 12, year old.

Im older than 20 and have always done it. Its common courtesy like you would say thank you to a till operator when they hand you your change.

Why do we (well some of us) thank the bus driver. It's a practice that has only arisen during the last twenty or so years. Even when we had sociable conductors, I don't remember people thanking them. Surely they should be thanking us for paying the extortionate fares and being joggled about in a seat designed to fit a 12, year old.

Because its nice to be nice!

Done you thank the cashier when you buy something at a shop then? they should be thanking us for buying something but I have no problem thanking them even if I get nothing back from them.

bus drivers are human like everyone else, I make sure I say thanks to anyone that says it to me, even the ones that dint I still do although it can get quite tedious if it's a large amount of people are getting off. Maybe that driver was having a bad day or had some bad news that made him not feel so sociable that day. It could be he was an arse, if that's the case no point getting worked up about it, it's his problem if he has an attitude problem

Because in spite of the fact that we are being screwed over by the prices and the drivers are miserable its common courtesy to say thank you.

There is a wider issue on here. Given the number of strikes we have had in the past with First Bus, touch wood we havent had any for a while the drivers are unhappy being in work and paid a wage. In fact it may be the last strike where they walked out because one of their comrades had his hand in the till. It was that bad that First had to tell everyone about this on their website.

Interesting that you have raised this first point because a month ago First drivers threatened strike action over pay, but since then no-one has heard anything. Wouldn't surprise me if we hear something this week given that First in Bradford are to strike for 48 hours next week over the same thing.

Unfortunately, a lot don't help themselves- for example, on Saturday early evening, (7pm) we went out to get the 53 from Lowedges, got there in plenty of time, and eventually got a bus 45 minutes later - the 7.05 went up and came back light, the 7.25 went up and never came back, and when we eventually did get on the 7.45 (having by then had to ring to push back dinner reservations) we asked what had happened to the previous buses - the drivers response was " I don't know my radio isn't working" which unfortunately was an untruth as we could hear it... We knew it wasn't that drivers fault, but if he'd just said what was actually wrong, he'd have gotten a lot less aggro from what very very quickly became a very full bus by the end of lowedges road

I tend to get stagecoach buses where possible now - the staff are a lot friendlier, actually pull up to the bus stop, lower the bus (as I'm on crutches so the big steps are difficult) and are generally much better natured. It's not an easy job being a bus driver at all, I'd imagine, but the gap between the two companies, clearly shows there's an issue at First.

Very few times if they only said it in reply but it's obviously too much trouble for some of them.

I mostly get a thank-you in reply to me saying thanks when I get off the bus. Don't forget as well that potentially 100s of passengers get off their bus every shift, often in quite large groups at single stops (i.e. when morning commuters get to town); it would probably drive them insane to respond every single time someone says thanks.

By the way, let's not get too caught up in how 'friendly' our bus drivers are, particularly since not every person who doesn't smile can automatically be assumed to be a miserable sod; many of us on this planet find out-going, energetic confident friendless in the face of strangers or the public a little hard-going - if a fairly quiet, introverted person is driving my bus, I'll value them driving it safely and in a timely manner over how clear and concise their 'hello' and 'thank you' were.

---------- Post added 20-04-2015 at 23:57 ----------

its common courtesy to say thank you.

Agreed, and further to that, and to the OP's request, whilst it's undoubtedly nice to receive a nice response from fellow people, most of what makes us happy inside is our own actions. :)

Edited by AndrewC