How to make a meat and potato pie

hi I need your help.my mother god bless her made a mean yorkshire meat and potato pie and the pie crust was always thick and moist. when I try to make one unlike mothers it's like eating a biscuit, I have tried different wa, like using shortcrust frozen short crust made my own with plain flour water and lard, that didn't work either I have used plain flour, and self raising flour again bad pie crust.

can anyone one write the recipe for a meat and potato pie crust mix. she would make a pie Monday it had a thick crust on it and would last 3 days. my dad used to call it a Yorkshire meat and potato pie with a thick crust that was moist under neath please help me make a pie like Ma's x :help:

My late mom always made delicious meat & potato pies just as you describe. I've never been able to make them anything like her. So what I do now is use suet dumpling mix for a thick crust. When baked in the oven this becomes light and fluffy but crispy on top.......

Not an original Yorkshire meat & potato pie but very yummy.

Edited by francypants

Try self raising flour and use baking margarine or butter. Half fat to the amount of flour, I guarantee you success. Oh and please treat it all gently, don't keep mauling it and over rolling it.

That's the secret, pastry needs air. Handle it too harshly , there's a chance you are working out all the air..

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 22:44 ----------

Don't keep rolling and rolling..

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 22:54 ----------

In fact, try shaping with your floured hands.

Are you sure that it was a shortcrust pastry? It could have been a hot water suet crust pastry, which holds itself together really well with wet ingredients.

Here you go this is the old fashioned pie crust and it's good

8oz of self-raising flour

4oz of lard

Small pinch of salt optional

Method

Rub lard into flour using your fingertips to make bread crumbs

No set amount of water just slowly add water and use a knife to mix a stiff dough no need to over mix it! then use your hand to form a ball not to sticky though ! Now roll out on a floured surface that's it.

Ps if you over mix or roll it you will ruin it.

Edited by allwednesday

cheers for all your help guys will let you all know how it goes thanks again x:)

make sure you have enough gravy in with the meat & potatoes to steam the underside of the crust to help keep it moist

I always braise my meat first, it makes better gravy, part boil my taters, and use half fat to SR flour for pastry, use water sparingly, too much will spoil it just enough to hold it together

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 16:02 ----------

Are you sure that it was a shortcrust pastry? It could have been a hot water suet crust pastry, which holds itself together really well with wet ingredients.

I think you'll find that's the pastry recipe for pork pie crust

Here you go this is the old fashioned pie crust and it's good

8oz of self-raising flour

4oz of lard

Small pinch of salt optional

Method

Rub lard into flour using your fingertips to make bread crumbs

No set amount of water just slowly add water and use a knife to mix a stiff dough no need to over mix it! then use your hand to form a ball not to sticky though ! Now roll out on a floured surface that's it.

Ps if you over mix or roll it you will ruin it.

This works, I've managed to re-create my nan's meat and tatty pie on a few occasions (before this was posted, but knew her recipe.)

Ps. don't forget the Hendo's with the gravy :D