Should Laws Regarding Gun Ownership Be Tightened Up?

It's not legal to buy a brand new fully automatic AK-47 though.

Doesn't that depend on which state you're in?

If I remember correctly, you're allowed to buy a bazooka (in the US) as long as you don't keep the ammunition within a certain distance of the weapon. Or something like that.

I'm still reeling from the news that any potential Colonel Kilgore could buy a fully functioning flamethrower in the USA, to be able to take in any more revelations. :o

I'm still reeling from the news that any potential Colonel Kilgore could buy a fully functioning flamethrower in the USA, to be able to take in any more revelations. :o

I'm not sure that it would be illegal to buy one in the UK either. I'm unsure if it would fall under the Firearms act in the UK....

Nearly but not quite.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The first part is the interesting part because it shows that the 2nd Amendment is a historic reference that has no relevance in 2015. The USA in 2015 is a free state with a standing army. There is no need of a separate militia, especially when the standing army has nuclear weapons at its disposal.

The 2nd Amendment could just be dispensed with.

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 15:50 ----------

Have you not got any backbone? Do you really give up that easily? Is that the attitude that built a great nation?

You're a quitter. You're a scaredy cat quitter just like all those other people who say that you need guns. You're a bunch of lily-livered quitters who can't get to first base because you're quitters.

Britain was rammed full of guns in 1946. We got rid of them because we're grown ups, not a load of scaredy cat quitters.

:)

You are just displaying your complete ignorance on this matter. You state that Britain was "crammed full of guns in 1946" which even if it were true the guns were most likely captured German. Japanese and Italian military issue souvenirs brought back by the lads and without the ammo to fire them.

The UK government has much more power to legislate much more quickly and with far less opposition on just about any matter concerning it's citizenry than does the US. The set up between a parliamentary authority and an American type Republican authority are planets apart.

If Obama decided to push ahead and draft a bill to amend the 2nd Amendment and radically restrict the type of weapons available to consumers it would probably die in Congress almost immediately because at present Congress is a majority Republican Party Congress and with a very vocal far right pro gun group. Even if by some miracle it did pass in Congress the bill would then have to go to the Senate for approval and could very well just die there and the whole bill dumped back on Obama's desk dead as a door nail. On the other hand if the bill did get through Congress and the Senate it would then have to go to the Supreme Court which interprets the legality of all matters concerning the Constitution.

At the same time there would be an immense backlash from Congressmen and Senators who represent States where gun ownership is very strong. Throw in the NRA who would file a batch of lawsuits so long that it would take literally years and untold millions of dollars to settle and then the national divide between pro gun and anti-gun factions, another major issue which could very well have very unpleasant consequences.

So when you insult me I am merely answering your comments with what's involved as a dim hope that it might shine a little light in the dark, blank inner recesses of what passes for your brain.

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 18:01 ----------

It's not legal to buy a brand new fully automatic AK-47 though.

But it's the weapon of choice among the worst of inner city gangs so where did they get them from ? :o

Now give me another reason why gun control works so well

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 18:18 ----------

So school massacres are part of the culture and nothing will ever stop that.

Probably not to be honest unless schools and colleges are prepared to spend lots and lots of money on hiring and training armed guards and setting up perimeters on school grounds and campuses with security checks involved.

But then again the mentality asserts itself as "Why are we going to spend all this money when budgets are tight in the one in a million chance that it could happen here"

At present most good sized colleges have a few unarmed security staff but the loonies are probably aware of that and there is no restriction of entry onto the college grounds

Edited by Harleyman

QED. You're a quitter in a nation of scardey cat quitters.

And you're another waste of space... commonly know as a troll. Get lost

Mr Harley - there have been 294 mass shootings (in which 4 or more die) this year, 45 shootings at schools, just under 10,000 people killed, 20,000 injured in shootings - that is this year.

(Gun Violence Archive)

994 mass shootings since Obama was re-elected.

You have a problem with ready access to firearms in the country you live in.

You constantly say nothing can be done - the lobby groups are too powerful- does that mean they pay too much to the politicians to spout the nonsense they do in defence of the ready access of citizens to firearms.

Rather than try to explain why nothing can be done at which you seem adept - which frankly is an embarrassment given how many people are being killed each and every year -and I would hope you would agree with that observation.

If you do not then you are prepared to accept as 'collatoral damage' the deaths annually in exchange for an adherence to and unthinking devotion to the constitution - and I don't think you do take that view.

And you're another waste of space... commonly know as a troll. Get lost

Rubbish. You keep giving different variations on the same pathetic excuses so I'm pointing out how the bleating sounds in plain language. The truth is that you, the USA, like guns like a child likes a bow and arrow set. It's childish.

Here's a constructive question, what do you think of the majority of Americans who want strict gun control? Do you support them?

Mr Harley - there have been 294 mass shootings (in which 4 or more die) this year, 45 shootings at schools, just under 10,000 people killed, 20,000 injured in shootings - that is this year.

(Gun Violence Archive)

You constantly say nothing can be done - the lobby groups are too powerful- does that mean they pay too much to the politicians to spout the nonsense they do in defence of the ready access of citizens to firearms.

Rather than try to explain why nothing can be done at which you seem adept - which frankly is an embarrassment given how many people are being killed each and every year -and I would hope you would agree with that observation.

If you do not then you are prepared to accept as 'collatoral damage' the deaths annually in exchange for an adherence to and unthinking devotion to the constitution - and I don't think you do take that view.

even more scary

The Gun Violence Archive, a not-for-profit organisation that compiles data on gun violence in the US, says 559 children aged 11 or under have been killed or injured in the United States in gun violence so far this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34450841

How many children have to die before people think its time to act?

559 children under 11 in less than a year, thats just shocking

(Gun Violence Archive)

I can only explain the situation as I see it from living here so long. If they had really wanted to do something about gun control they should have done it 80 years ago when the population was much smaller and guns fewer in number. Maybe the average American living in that age of gangsters and bootlegging might have been more agreeable to changing the second amendment and controlling the types of guns allowed

Instead it's been allowed to get out of control and yes lobbyists do influence Congress people. As a foreigner I never understand exactly why lobbying is allowed. it seemed a form of bribery to me. Lobbyists fund election campaigns as well as big corporations. If you look at it enough you could say that it's all F.Ud :hihi: but what does it matter what I think. I just live with it

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 19:27 ----------

even more scary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34450841

How many children have to die before people think its time to act?

559 children under 11 in less than a year, thats just shocking

I agree it just horrible. But it's a horrible world. How many kids have died in the wars in the middle east? How many have died trying to reach Europe?

Two years ago there were around 50 thousand kids from south America on the US -Mexican border. Their parents had sent them off on foot to reach the US hoping that they would be taken and in turn so would their parents.

Thousands were taken in, housed, clothed and cared for. It's not all bad

I agree it just horrible. But it's a horrible world. How many kids have died in the wars in the middle east? How many have died trying to reach Europe?

Two years ago there were around 50 thousand kids from south America on the US -Mexican border. Their parents had sent them off on foot to reach the US hoping that they would be taken and in turn so would their parents.

Thousands were taken in, housed, clothed and cared for. It's not all bad

Again, that awful, smug, pathetic complacency. 'Aw shucks it's just a bunch of dead people, what can you do?'.

Grow a spine springs to mind...