Should Laws Regarding Gun Ownership Be Tightened Up?

That doesn't necessarily mean guns were used more..a proportion of the crimes could have been for possessing something on Tuesday that it had been legal to have on the Monday.. if you see my point..

They could have been, but (from memory) I don't think they were.

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 13:37 ----------

Pistol target shooting.

second amendment

The biggest clue to the solution is in word amendment which is included in the constitution, unlike from my cold dead hands.

How many 11 year olds killed any 8 year olds with a car or kitchen knife yesterday?

the point i was trying to make was any kids can go into the knife drawer at home and take a knife out and do stupid things?? i guess every house has at least one sharp dangerous knife, no skill needed either?

as for cars there are many car joy riders and TWOC ers that are barely out of infant/junior school, barnsley and Liverpool if i remember in the news recently:(

Seeing as Harley, once again, went back to crying that you can't repeal the second amendment or ban guns (even though nobody had argued they should) in post #254 and seeing how he's always saying we (Sheffield Forum members) think we have all the answers, I propose this idea...

What legitimate purpose would you want a gun for?

Target shooting - No problem sir, here's a .22 single shot pistol or .22 single shot rifle, enjoy your shooting

Hunting - No problem sir, here's a .308 rifle with 3 round capacity magazine, enjoy your shooting

In this alternate reality, the above gun types are the only legally available guns in America. By limiting guns this way guns are not banned and the 2nd amendment is left intact.

I'd be interested to hear any arguments against the above other than 'people won't like it'.

The 2nd amendment implies that the people already have the unfettered right to keep and bear arms, and that such right "shall not be infringed". Restricting the type of arms does infringe that... hence I think you'd need to amend the Constitution which takes a super majority of 2/3rds in both Houses AND then 3/4's of the State legislatures have to ratify it. The Constitution is very difficult to amend with bipartisan politics.

The biggest clue to the solution is in word amendment which is included in the constitution, unlike from my cold dead hands.

I know that and you obviously know that, my proposal was for those who think further amendments can't be made.

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 14:41 ----------

The 2nd amendment implies that the people already have the unfettered right to keep and bear arms, and that such right "shall not be infringed". Restricting the type of arms does infringe that... hence I think you'd need to amend the Constitution which takes a super majority of 2/3rds in both Houses AND then 3/4's of the State legislatures have to ratify it. The Constitution is very difficult to amend with bipartisan politics.

If that were the case, any and all gun laws/restrictions put in place since the 2nd amendment was written, must be invalid.

No, the reality is that the 2nd amendment doesn't say people have the right to bear any and all kinds of arms of their choice. Giving people a choice of arms to use doesn't infringe on their right to bear arms. It only infringes on their right to have an unlimited choice of arms (a right which they don't have).

Edited by RootsBooster

the point i was trying to make was any kids can go into the knife drawer at home and take a knife out and do stupid things?? i guess every house has at least one sharp dangerous knife, no skill needed either?

as for cars there are many car joy riders and TWOC ers that are barely out of infant/junior school, barnsley and Liverpool if i remember in the news recently:(

Killing people with a knife requires more skill than with a gun...

...and you're comparing these to gun massacres? :huh:

I know that and you obviously know that, my proposal was for those who think further amendments can't be made.

Does the amendment need amending? It just mentions the right to bear arms. Currently the American public cannot access all the arms available so a restriction is already in place, all that needs to happen is for that restriction to be increased.

Although a conscious decision for American to turn their back on universal gun ownership by changing the constitution would be far less divisive.

Does the amendment need amending? It just mentions the right to bear arms. Currently the American public cannot access all the arms available so a restriction is already in place, all that needs to happen is for that restriction to be increased.

Although a conscious decision for American to turn their back on universal gun ownership by changing the constitution would be far less divisive.

No, it doesn't need amending. History has already shown that the changes can be made without touching the 2nd amendment. But for those who say you can't mess with the 2nd amendment, you can. Like Eric Arthur said, the clue's in the name.

This is a serious question Harley, I'm curious as to what you'd think if some of your children were shot in school or college. Do you think there's any level of murder that would make you rethink your standpoint.

I'm kinda certain that you'd think it was an appropriate risk to take for the liberty to bear arms.

It's just far too late. There are too many guns in circulation, registered or unregistered. . Even if firearms were banned tomorrow there would still be around 80 million in circulation and there's no way possible that they could be confiscated except when used in a crime so there you have it. If I voluntarily turned mine in would it make the slightest difference?

Don't think I don't worry sometimes about my three precious grand daughters who will one day soon be off to college. God yes I do and so do their parents. There's also the worry that happens during their first days of driving, the worry that they'll be safe from sexual predators. It could go on and on. The only comfort that we as parents and grandparents have is that these atrocities are still a rarity and chances still way, way against it happening to them and that's the best hope we have

Edited by Harleyman

No, it doesn't need amending. History has already shown that the changes can be made without touching the 2nd amendment. But for those who say you can't mess with the 2nd amendment, you can. Like Eric Arthur said, the clue's in the name.

It does seem to be that majority in America currently believes that ever increasing rampage massacres are a price worth paying for private gun ownership.

Surely a time has to come when they'll say enough is enough?

It does seem to be that majority in America currently believes that ever increasing rampage massacres are a price worth paying for private gun ownership.

Surely a time has to come when they'll say enough is enough?

According to Harley, it's too late.

Guns never wear out or get damaged, due to the complete absence of any forces or friction acting upon them when they are used (that's sarcasm by the way) and it's impossible to NOT make new guns to replace them.