Should Laws Regarding Gun Ownership Be Tightened Up?

I think the OP is about gun control in UK. US is a different matter - two completely different situations. Uk has one of the strictest gun controls in the world. Only the criminals here have handguns (except of course historical weapons and rifles with a short stock apparently :suspect:. IMO UK is over regulated and US is under regulated.

Americans are not submissive by nature. They protect and enjoy their rights. The whole constitution was written by men who intended that the tyrannies imposed by kings and emperors in Europe should not be in turn imposed on citizens of the new republic.

We all know what the Second Amendment was written for and as new frontiers were reached guns were an absolute necessity for survival. Over time firearms became part of the American culture and that's all there is to it

The gun owner in Montana and Wyoming who uses a firearm for sport or hunting is not going to lie down and have all kinds of new rules imposed on him or her because a few loonies and gang bangers thousands of miles away kill each other. There is already a disdain for the "social mess" as they see it in the big cities. No American president could ever succeed in carrying out a law banning guns or repealing the Second Amendment. The issue is far too divisive in a country already deeply divided by politics.

Well I'm not that bothered really thanks very much.

You sure seem to come back with enough snidey quotes and irrelevant sidelines though. I think you ar actually quite bothered.

I don't see me applying for a firearm in the UK in this life and even if I did they wouldn't probably give me one anyway

I suspect you are right.

but there are illegal firearms in circulation in the UK but not on the scale or type of those in the US.

Now why do you think that is? You think the US are less civilised? You think they are more predilicted to want Big Guns?

Or perhaps gun control UK style actually you know - works - and keeps illegal firearms dont without being onerous on the legal shooting community.

My nephew who is a member of the Cheshire Constabulary was assigned in the past to stop and search duties on the motorways to check for drugs and firearms

So chuffing what?

---------- Post added 05-10-2015 at 00:09 ----------

All the arguments for or against gun ownership in America account to nothing. You can tell us forever that the UK is perfect compared to us, and who is to argue with you, not me. But why do you continue to brag about it? I suppose it makes you feel superior as a country, which you are not. It is our problem to face, and ours alone. While ever there is a fair mix of those who want to ban guns and those who do not, no referendum will ever change anything, and no National party of either persuasion has the guts to change things. So continue if you wish, or talk about something else. I'm heartily sick of reading the crap. If you can't be constructive, shut up.

No ones bragging. Just telling you there is a way to reduce your appalling gun crime figures.

If you don't personally like it, that doesn't mean its not being constructive. If you don't like it, don't read it. Not difficult.

---------- Post added 05-10-2015 at 00:10 ----------

"Very roughly speaking" What's that supposed to mean? Your meandering post above makes it sound like the weapon that fits the approved category is a flintlock type, 18th century musket

Read the links I gave you. Stop being lazy.

You sure seem to come back with enough snidey quotes and irrelevant sidelines though. I think you ar actually quite bothered.

I suspect you are right.

Now why do you think that is? You think the US are less civilised? You think they are more predilicted to want Big Guns?

Or perhaps gun control UK style actually you know - works - and keeps illegal firearms dont without being onerous on the legal shooting community.

So chuffing what?

No ones bragging. Just telling you there is a way to reduce your appalling gun crime figures.

If you don't personally like it, that doesn't mean its not being constructive. If you don't like it, don't read it. Not difficult.

You being too lazy to provide a few details also. But not bad so far. Antiques, barrel length not to exceed 22 inches.

I wouldn't bother applying for a firearm in the UK anyway. There's nothing to hunt. Deer are not my bag and rabbits and pheasants for boy scouts :hihi:

Give me something worthwhile like a 200 pound wild hog with a testy temper and which I can test my Winchester 94 against

---------- Post added 05-10-2015 at 01:21 ----------

I suspect you are right.

So chuffing what?

By gad why are you wasting time on the Sheffield Forum?. A man with your ideas should be in Washington addressing Congress. I can see the headlines now

"Man from Sheffield, England has solution to America's crime problem. President Obama schedules closed door meeting in Oval Office" :hihi:

I've heard all kinds of impractical solutions on this thread such as background checks for mental illness. How ignorant can one get?

Mental illness is not a crime neither is a persons' history of mental illness a matter for public record. Anybody living in a democracy like the UK should know that

Anyway I'm bored with this chit chat with you. Enjoy your flintlock muskets and make sure that the barrel length is well over 22 inches :hihi:

They can do only so much. It would take a whole new bureaucracy to set up a system for mental health checks. At present the restrictions run to criminal history, spousal abuse and possibly, but not sure, dishonourable discharge from the military. Non citizens, except those holding permanent residence visas also disqualified

A firearms retailer can check a person's background just by giving details of that person to law enforcement agencies. The FBI can pull up anyone's name connected with inter-state criminal activities

I do not think that there's any viable way that a person's mental health background could be checked very easily at all. There must be a few thousand mental health institutions scattered across the country so where would you be able to start? There's no central data system unlike

law enforcement and why should there be ? Being treated for mental health problems in an institution is not a crime of any sort and such institutions are bound by confidentiality between doctor and patient laws anyway

---------- Post added 04-10-2015 at 18:01 ----------

Well I'm not that bothered really thanks very much. I don't see me applying for a firearm in the UK in this life and even if I did they wouldn't probably give me one anyway but there are illegal firearms in circulation in the UK but not on the scale or type of those in the US.

My nephew who is a member of the Cheshire Constabulary was assigned in the past to stop and search duties on the motorways to check for drugs and firearms

You make it sound like there's absolutely nothing that can be done!? Like the best thing we can do is ignore it and hope it never happens again?!

8,500 is short of 10,000, but lets not quibble America is a huge place compared to the uk and nearly all the deaths will be from illegally held guns so whats your point??

When are you claiming 8,500 were killed by guns in the UK?

Which deaths are you claiming as a result of legally held guns?

Have you any idea what you're talking about?

---------- Post added 05-10-2015 at 07:44 ----------

You being too lazy to provide a few details also. But not bad so far. Antiques, barrel length not to exceed 22 inches.

I wouldn't bother applying for a firearm in the UK anyway. There's nothing to hunt. Deer are not my bag and rabbits and pheasants for boy scouts :hihi:

Give me something worthwhile like a 200 pound wild hog with a testy temper and which I can test my Winchester 94 against

---------- Post added 05-10-2015 at 01:21 ----------

By gad why are you wasting time on the Sheffield Forum?. A man with your ideas should be in Washington addressing Congress. I can see the headlines now

"Man from Sheffield, England has solution to America's crime problem. President Obama schedules closed door meeting in Oval Office" :hihi:

I've heard all kinds of impractical solutions on this thread such as background checks for mental illness. How ignorant can one get?

Mental illness is not a crime neither is a persons' history of mental illness a matter for public record. Anybody living in a democracy like the UK should know that

Anyway I'm bored with this chit chat with you. Enjoy your flintlock muskets and make sure that the barrel length is well over 22 inches :hihi:

Harley continues to laugh and sneer tens of thousands of mothers weep for their dead children.

Complacent, arrogant, and ultimately, careless.

And when you tell him he still cannot get it right.... nothing said about a 22" barrel was there.... :roll:

---------- Post added 05-10-2015 at 08:28 ----------

You make it sound like there's absolutely nothing that can be done!? Like the best thing we can do is ignore it and hope it never happens again?!

Harley doesn't care remember?

All he cares about is making sure that America is "superior" to us in his world view so he can sneer at as. That's why he denigrates everything in the UK that he thinks is superior - to reinforce his own ego. Of course he doesn't care about those who are dead - he reckons he is above them.

When are you claiming 8,500 were killed by guns in the UK?

Which deaths are you claiming as a result of legally held guns?

Have you any idea what you're talking about?

---------- Post added 05-10-2015 at 07:44 ----------

i havent claimed 8500 killed by guns in the UK IF YOU READ INSTEAD OF BABBLING IT WAS THE NUMBER KILLED IN THE USA THIS YEAR!!! not the tens of thousands you claimed:roll:

i wasnt claiming any by legally held guns although i am sure there are some, police, suicides etc, but not that many.

ha ha pot calling kettle:loopy:

Americans are not submissive by nature. They protect and enjoy their rights. The whole constitution was written by men who intended that the tyrannies imposed by kings and emperors in Europe should not be in turn imposed on citizens of the new republic.

We all know what the Second Amendment was written for and as new frontiers were reached guns were an absolute necessity for survival. Over time firearms became part of the American culture and that's all there is to it

The gun owner in Montana and Wyoming who uses a firearm for sport or hunting is not going to lie down and have all kinds of new rules imposed on him or her because a few loonies and gang bangers thousands of miles away kill each other. There is already a disdain for the "social mess" as they see it in the big cities. No American president could ever succeed in carrying out a law banning guns or repealing the Second Amendment. The issue is far too divisive in a country already deeply divided by politics.

Why on Earth do you always revert back to this?

Who is it that you're arguing with that wants guns banning or the second amendment repealing?

This argument is just a comfort blanket that you run back to once you've put your fingers in your ears.

---------- Post added 05-10-2015 at 08:56 ----------

Harley continues to laugh and sneer tens of thousands of mothers weep for their dead children.

Complacent, arrogant, and ultimately, careless.

You forgot 'ultra-macho'...

Edited by RootsBooster

I dunno a 200 pound wild hog seems a bit weedy. I mean it sounds ultra macho but it's not that big. Mind you big enough for Harley as hogs don't care about bluff and bluster...

I take it that you're not that much of a good shot, then? :hihi::P

Americans are not submissive by nature.

That is very true. By nature they are a bit childish and immature.

"Ooo, look at my gun, it's like a penis but bigger and makes a big noise and frightens the baddies."