Should Laws Regarding Gun Ownership Be Tightened Up?

You mean you just cant man up and explain the procedures necessary for a civilian in England to acquire a firearm so the "google is just a cop out.

I did get a firearm during my years in the UK. NATO FN semi-automatic 7.62 caliber 20 round magazine courtesy of HM Forces. Mine for two years

I'll bet they wouldn't let me have a weapon like that now eh? I could be a potential terrorist or mass shooter oooooooh awful thought

I didn't ask you to stick your two cents worth into my comments. If I annoy you just stay away and I'll try not to break down into a blubbering fit

30 seconds of google fu give me... https://www.gov.uk/shotgun-and-firearm-certificates

So you are just lazy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417199/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_v13.pdf

That'll tell you what you need to know as well. Again 30 seconds of google. Lazy mark number 2

To save the whining about having to read because I know it's hard, a self loading rifle over .22 is a prohibited weapon, because there is no need to have one. It's not used for hunting because if you need an SLR for hunting you are perforce a crap shot. One shot, one kill, unless you are bad at aiming. I presume you want one because you are bad at aiming? Learn to shoot better then and stop being lazy.

We didn't ask you to stick your comments in about our country. But you know what - we let you anyway. It's called public debate. If you don't like just push off. No one will miss you.

Six shotguns, nine rifles and three revolvers.

And about thirty air rifles.

How come you've got these legally? Genuine question. I understand how you can legally obtain the others.

I already own a couple of legally purchased firearms so banning them wouldn't affect me.

There would probably be a whole market for smuggled guns if a ban were to take place. With the right amount of money finding where to get one wouldn't be that hard.

No need to ban them. Just tighten up the regulations so nutters and dangerous people can't have access to them. Why would that not work?

How come you've got these legally? Genuine question. I understand how you can legally obtain the others.

Two are antiques so you can hold them off ticket. It's a fallacy that handguns are banned in the UK - you can have them provided that the barrel is over a certain length and that the overall length of the gun is at least 22 inches. As long as it's not concealable it's legal (very roughly speaking)

He already has. Stop being so lazy.

I bet they would actually.

I do hope the families of the latest batch of victims never read your flippant and cynical comment.

He doesn't need your permission.

You do annoy me actually; you defend a system which results in tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths every year. You don't care about human life quite enough to stand up say no.

Face it Halibut, everything and everyone annoys you :D

---------- Post added 04-10-2015 at 17:05 ----------

No need to ban them. Just tighten up the regulations so nutters and dangerous people can't have access to them. Why would that not work?

Much easier said than done. Nearly all the shooters are white guys, perhaps loners, spend hours on the net, form grudges of some sort either against class mates or fellow employees yet on the surface appear to be normal in their everyday interface with others.

Edited by Harleyman

Much easier said than done. Nearly all the shooters are white guys, perhaps loners, spend hours on the net, form grudges of some sort either against class mates or fellow employees yet on the surface appear to be normal in their everyday interface with others.

How then do you know that the person is a "nutter" or that he's "dangerous" There are plenty of people who stick to themselves and that's no reason for refusing to sell that person a firearm if he has a clean record.

Are we going to start profiling potential gun buyers.

Why not, if it saves tens of thousands of lives?

Why not, if it saves tens of thousands of lives?

Tens of thousands??? i dont think so? although profiling at Airports and security would be a good thing?

How then do you know that the person is a "nutter" or that he's "dangerous" There are plenty of people who stick to themselves and that's no reason for refusing to sell that person a firearm if he has a clean record.

"Right then we've done a background check and you come up completely clean but sorry we cannot sell you that pistol you wanted"

"Why"?

"Because we also did a background check on your social life. You currently have no girlfriend, you don't talk much to your work mates and you never have gone with them for a beer after work. Your land lady says you're a very quiet guy and you spend a lot of time on the computer doing god knows what. Sorry mate we ran your profile through the computer and it comes up as "potential nutter and mass murderer"

You soon change your tune!...

If the shooting are in the great majority gang related as I suspect they are, who cares anyway ?

---------- Post added 04-10-2015 at 18:20 ----------

I have to agree with Harley on this, how would you know who's a 'nutter' or dangerous person?

"Right then we've done a background check and you come up completely clean but sorry we cannot sell you that pistol you wanted"

"Why"?

"Because we also did a background check on your social life. You currently have no girlfriend, you don't talk much to your work mates and you never have gone with them for a beer after work. Your land lady says you're a very quiet guy and you spend a lot of time on the computer doing god knows what. Sorry mate we ran your profile through the computer and it comes up as "potential nutter and mass murderer"

What you said actually made sense, until you went way over the top! Just do a background check. Any history of mental health etc. No gun. It might not solve the mass shooting issue, but it will sure as hell make a difference.

---------- Post added 04-10-2015 at 18:23 ----------

I have to agree with Harley on this, how would you know who's a 'nutter' or dangerous person?

Is it not possible to profile people who want to buy a gun? Mental health records etc?

As I said before, it's not perfect and wouldn't stop 'nutters' with no mental health records buying a gun, but it would be a start!

Tens of thousands??? i dont think so? although profiling at Airports and security would be a good thing?

Why ever not? There have been over ten thousand gun deaths in the USA so far this year.

In the UK? A handful.

Two are antiques so you can hold them off ticket. It's a fallacy that handguns are banned in the UK - you can have them provided that the barrel is over a certain length and that the overall length of the gun is at least 22 inches. As long as it's not concealable it's legal (very roughly speaking)

"Very roughly speaking" What's that supposed to mean? Your meandering post above makes it sound like the weapon that fits the approved category is a flintlock type, 18th century musket

Why ever not? There have been over ten thousand gun deaths in the USA so far this year.

In the UK? A handful.

More like hundreds of thousands!