Jobless total hits 7 year low as Tories announce 2 million new jobs.

Well the crash came whilst Labour were in charge. It came about because of their lax regulation of the financial sector. They didn't make any attempt to peg bankers bonuses or to clamp down on tax avoidance. What a shame they didn't take the initiative and make the sinners pay. Probably include themselves in those that screwed up the system & should pay to sort it out.

At least the common man can honestly say "It wasnt my fault" alas hes paying the price,and WAY more than his share.

It really is "squeeze the rich time" They lined their pockets at our expense and over indulged themselves,and NOT for the first time,they exert way too much influence over current politicians decisions of all persuasions.

people think its only foreign governments that are corrupt,should look at our own first!

Guest sibon
Sure, I got 2% two years ago and 5% this year.

Well done.

I've got 2% over the lifetime of this Parliament. Not adjusted for inflation.

I'm not atypical either.

---------- Post added 18-04-2015 at 00:10 ----------

Rubbish. If you work less than 16 hours a week you are eligible for JSA. Your original comment was "providing you can live on two hours a week zero hour contracts". This is obviously wrong due to the fact of the information I have provided.

You seem very angry and a bit incoherent.

Maybe a nice nap would help. And a bit of thinking time about who to vote for to relieve your stress.

Rubbish. If you work less than 16 hours a week you are eligible for JSA. Your original comment was "providing you can live on two hours a week zero hour contracts". This is obviously wrong due to the fact of the information I have provided.

When you sign on for JSA you do so from the day you are out of work. If you find out at the end of the week that your employer has given you less than 16 hours a week work, you cannot get JSA back dated to that previous week.

As you never know how many hours you will be working until the week is over

You can not claim for JSA because last week you only worked less than 16 hours. It's not like housing benefit whereas there, you can make a back claim.

When you sign on for JSA you do so from the day you are out of work. If you find out at the end of the week that your employer has given you less than 16 hours a week work, you cannot get JSA back dated to that previous week.

As you never know how many hours you will be working until the week is over

You can not claim for JSA because last week you only worked less than 16 hours. It's not like housing benefit whereas there, you can make a back claim.

What about tax credits? I know little about the current system as I'm retired now. Also, when I was of working age, when either my OH or I was out of work we never qualified for any means tested benefits because the other was always earning. However, it seems ludicrous that anyone should be expected to survive on the income from two hours work.

Wii Universal credit even out these sorts of dips in income? Genuine question.

100% correct and I am not denying this, because this is and always has been the norm for those with a permanent part-time contract which states their part-time hours.

The difference with zero hour contracts is you are basically being offered flexible hours on a weekly basis, a bit like temping, whereby you are totally unaware of the hours you will be working and won't know how many hours worked until the end of the week.

Again, like temping, you can NOT contact the JC at the end of every week to state that you did less then 16 hours work and expect to have your JSA backdated, it doesn't work like that. You can't have backdated JSA and make a claim every week, as the system does not allow for that with flexible/zero hour contracts.

Also, just imagine the amount of claims you would be making every week, then closing on the odd occasions you do more than 16 hours a week. It's bad enough that you wait 3-4 weeks for the paper-work to go through as it is, so can you imagine the mess people would get into making a claim every week when working less than 16 hours on a zero hour contract. The system purposely does not allow for this, but what zero hour contracts do achieve is taking people of the unemployment figures despite finding they do very little hours a week after the first week of work, which I'm sure is to entice them to accept the job offered by the job centre.

These are two of the reasons why there is an increase in food banks.

---------- Post added 18-04-2015 at 09:15 ----------

Wii Universal credit even out these sorts of dips in income? Genuine question.

In one word, No.

Edited by poppet2

I seem to remember a few news articles a couple of months back saying the UC had failed miserably. Of course IDS tried to deny it, but of course he would, it being his pet

"The poor are always with us" as the philosopher said.

Things are much better, think back to 2010, think whats been achieved since in only 5 years.

Dont lets exchange lists, its better, period. And if the country keeps its nerve, votes Cameron back in, those who you are so concerned about can prosper, but only if we have an economy strong enough to afford to do so.

Better, maybe, for those who were always alright. God help them if they ever fall on hard times.

It's a whole lot worse for the most vulnerable in our society who have been hounded, villified and denied the right to the most basic help and sustainance.

Whats the gdp output though?

Wages?

Are people just not signing on, being sanctioned?

How many working people are claiming subsidies?

£13bn was spent on benefits to retail workers...

How many self employed?

This 2 million jobs stat doesnt mean anything...

Better, maybe, for those who were always alright. God help them if they ever fall on hard times.

It's a whole lot worse for the most vulnerable in our society who have been hounded, villified and denied the right to the most basic help and sustainance.

How refreshing to hear someone championing the less fortunate ... God Bless Anna.

Whats the gdp output though?

"The figure was unrevised from the ONS' original estimate. It added that 2014 GDP growth was 2.6 per cent, also unrevised, the UK's highest growth since 2007, which made the UK the fastest-expanding G7 economy in 2014."

So they were denied 13 years of free state education, with further years of fully funded education should they wish?

I am not denying there are vulnerable people out there. However some people makes themselves vulnerable through lack of effort. If you skip school, start a family at 16 and have 3 kids by the time you are 19 with no means of supporting them other than benefits, are you vulnerable?

So they were denied 13 years of free state education, with further years of fully funded education should they wish?

I am not denying there are vulnerable people out there. However some people makes themselves vulnerable through lack of effort. If you skip school, start a family at 16 and have 3 kids by the time you are 19 with no means of supporting them other than benefits, are you vulnerable?

Yes you are