Advice on stopping a yappy terrier from yapping

My Jack Russell is a lovely boy, very well behaved but recently taken to the habit of barking at EVERYTHING!

This in turn sets my spaniel off and the house becomes one big orchestra of barks.

So far I have tried to tell him to Shhh, wait a few moments then treat him. I've taken him out of the room/garden or where ever he's showing off and put him in another room to calm down (definitely hasn't worked with that one!!) I've rattled a tin of coins to snap him out of it but this just makes him bark even more! I've shouted at him! I've tried barking back at him! nothing works - and he's now adopted the name NO! as that is all I'm constantly shouting at him. Everything I have tried has literally made no difference at all and the worst part is he thinks it's all just a game!

I knew terriers were very local, but SERIOUSLY! he's waaay too talkative for my liking.

Help and advice please folks :help:

My Friend works with dogs and uses a squeezy bottle of water.

If they don't stop barking on command they get a slash of water in the face.

Seems to work quite well for him.

My Friend works with dogs and uses a squeezy bottle of water.

If they don't stop barking on command they get a slash of water in the face.

Seems to work quite well for him.

Don't know if I like the idea of chucking water in his face? what if he gives me the puppy eyes! I'll be done for.

water usually works dont say anything to the dog just squirt and walk away

water usually works dont say anything to the dog just squirt and walk away

I'm actually chuckling at the thought of squirting him with a face full of water and just walking off with him sat there thinking 'what the hell'

A spray bottle might be better so it's just a spritz of water rather than a full squirt! Good luck :)

Another alternative is to teach them to bark on command. If you teach them to 'speak' then they usually take a hand signal or a thank you as a time to stop barking.

Just a quick update..

I have tried the squirting water trick! to no avail... Once again he thought it was a game, tail wagging and barking ensued..

On another note! the spaniel made a run for it to her bed and instantly stopped barking even though I didn't aim the water at her!

Back to the drawing board.

Stand in front of what they are barking at with your back to the door, window or whatever it is . Face them but don't talk or give them eye contact just remain calm and don't react . When they see you are calm and their barking is getting no response they tend to shut up. But you keep having to repeat this untill they get the message . I'm still working on this with mine the only down side is it takes time and patience and the ability to stay calm when you have nutty dogs barking their heads off .

Edited by rubydo1

Stand in front of what they are barking at with your back to the door, window or whatever it is . Face them but don't talk or give them eye contact just remain calm and don't react . When they see you are calm and their barking is getting no response they tend to shut up. But you keep having to repeat this untill they get the message . I'm still working on this with mine the only down side is it takes time and patience and the ability to stay calm when you have nutty dogs barking their heads off .

Well I think part of the issue (probably a big part) is that the little terrier starts barking and then this sets the springer off but she just tends to bark at him for barking! and then he starts barking back at her!

My springer only instigates any barking activity if there is a knock on the door! that's it... the rest of the time it's because he's set her off and then it becomes complete chaos!

Will give it a try though, thanks :thumbsup: