Congestion on Walkley Road, bottom of Palm Street.

No parking would work, but it's unfair to people who have terraced houses in this age of cars being a necessity.

Traffic lights either end of the bottleneck would lead to congestion/queueing on Walkley Lane

One way from Walkley Lane to Carr Road and one way up Carr road to top of south road, with traffic lights at Carr road/south road to allow progress is my idea. Nothing is going to be ideal

I'd tend to think that making it one way towards Walkley Lane from Carr Road or Freedom Road bottom would be better. From Hillsborough end you'd therefore access the top end of Walkley via South Road and bottom end via Langsett Road and the lights by the Hillsborough Hotel.

Whats laughable is walkley lane..you cant park on there between certain hours but you can on walkley rd..which is narrower than walkley lane..and perhaps just as busy..something needs to be done

I think a short stretch of double yellows would help the situation; residents may complain but they must witness countless disagreements every day.

That's all that's needed really. Traffic lights or one way systems would cost a fortune and cause more problems than they solve. It just needs is a decent sized passing space about half way along, where people can see what's coming. At the moment, you can't see round the bend to the end of the parked cars, so you have to take the chance sometimes.

I used to live on that stretch. The number of stand offs I witnessed over the years was unbelievable. Most of the time all it took was for one person to back up a few yards or pull onto the pavement, but some were too pig headed to do that. They insisted that because they were on "their side" of the road, and it was technically their right of way that they shouldn't have to move, even if it meant half a dozen cars, who had almost made it to the end, all had to back up.

Several times the police had to sort out the situation, because no-one would back down.

You always knew something was going on when you heard a load of horns beeping, then raised voices. It was a bit of a spectator sport for us residents!

I've driven this road several times a week for many years and only ever had one problem with 'Mr Neanderthal-thickneck-shavedhead-tattoos all over mi biceps' man about 20 years ago. He and his dim-witted girlfriend expected me to drive into the lamp -post to let them pass. Usually, people know the road and are good about letting people through. The problems start when someone has been waiting for ages and decides to 'go for it' regardless of others. I've even been in one of the pulling in slots to let traffic through and some idiot has zoomed past and screwed the whole process up. It must be a nightmare trying to find a parking space on there when there are terraced houses on both sides and one side has double yellows. I had a friend on there years ago when the council asked about making them a car park on the grass at the end - the residents agreed until the council wanted them to pay for it. If people are tenants and not the home-owner I can see why they don't want to pay. Personally, I think the problems started with supertram and the proliferation of bus/tram lanes only that have sprung up. At one time it was simple to get from Hillsborough to Walkley, now it's a 3 mile detour. Traffic that used to use Infirmary Rd has now been shunted on to side roads that were never meant to cope with the amount of traffic there is now.

I moved there in 1999, so the proposal to put in some parking spaces must have been before then. I must say there was a lot less traffic on that stretch when I moved there. It seemed to increase markedly in the early 2000s. Not sure why exactly, because that was long after Supertram came into existence, maybe there were some other restrictions put in around that time?

Trying to remember when it was. My daughter is 40 now and was friends with his daughter - probably when they were between 13 and 16. That would be late 80s / early 90s then?

I've lived on this stretch of road for 35 years & it is much worse now. I have had drivers sounding their horn at me to get out of their way when I've been walking on the pavement! I've called the police a couple of times when situations have got really out of hand. It is dreadful & we asked for consideration to be given to making this one way - either direction would be fine by me - but we got nowhere with that.

Any other ideas gratefully received!

Never been any different, instead of a grassed area and a bench there should have been a parking area provided for residents.

A section in the middle where no one can park to allow passing would solve a lot of the problems very easily.

A section in the middle where no one can park to allow passing would solve a lot of the problems very easily.

that's the solution, and would allow drivers westbound, encroaching on the 'wrong side' to see oncoming traffic!

Sorry residents, but it only needs 2 car spaces less.

that's the solution, and would allow drivers westbound, encroaching on the 'wrong side' to see oncoming traffic!

Sorry residents, but it only needs 2 car spaces less.

It's true. It would only mean losing a couple of spaces, but it would improve things no end, and it'd be much better than losing all the spaces if it were to be double-yellowed all along.

I really liked living there, but I don't miss that road one bit.

Edited by Olive

Is there any mechanism to get the council to consider this?