Tactical voting in Sheffield

Will the Tories in Sheffield Hallam now vote Lib dem to keep out the Labour candidate ? Could well happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-2015-32313846

I live in that constituency and it does appear to be a race between Lib Dem and Labour. The Torys haven't put up a strong candidate and I have not received much if any information from them. Labour on the other hand have been knocking on doors and pushing trash through my door for weeks.

I live in that constituency and it does appear to be a race between Lib Dem and Labour. The Torys haven't put up a strong candidate and I have not received much if any information from them. Labour on the other hand have been knocking on doors and pushing trash through my door for weeks.

Yep and have put up a weak candidate because they want their votes to go to the lib dems and not split it,

I just can't see Labour coming in from a distant 3rd to take it by a whisker. If perchance they do then there will be a lot of other decidedly strange results on May 7th.

Hallam has always been known for tactical voting, squeezing the Labour vote was the reason why Allan and the Liberals took it in the first place. There were not many seats where the Labour vote fell between 1992-97, and none at all where it fell by the huge margin of nearly 7% like the Hallam Labour vote did in that election. There is a bit of a residual Labour vote there, this is South Yorkshire after all. But Clegg will hang on and the Tories look like they will come 3rd with many of them voting tactically to keep Labour out.

I just can't see Labour coming in from a distant 3rd to take it by a whisker. If perchance they do then there will be a lot of other decidedly strange results on May 7th.

Hallam has always been known for tactical voting, squeezing the Labour vote was the reason why Allan and the Liberals took it in the first place. There were not many seats where the Labour vote fell between 1992-97, and none at all where it fell by the huge margin of nearly 7% like the Hallam Labour vote did in that election. There is a bit of a residual Labour vote there, this is South Yorkshire after all. But Clegg will hang on and the Tories look like they will come 3rd with many of them voting tactically to keep Labour out.

This is exactly what I think too. Labour have thrown a lot of money at unseating Clegg. An amount I would be interested in knowing personally. They are doing everything they can to unseat Clegg and even though he will lose some votes, the Tory tactical voting will bolster his support and keep him in his seat.

I think it's a silly and quite vain move personally.

Putting so much effort (and money) in to attempt to un-seat the leader of the party, it says alot of for Labour at the moment I think.

When you consider they have got a genuine problem up in Scotland they should be concentrating on, but instead they're ploughing time, money and effort into trying to take a Lib Dem safe seat.

Putting so much effort (and money) in to attempt to un-seat the leader of the party, it says alot of for Labour at the moment I think.

When you consider they have got a genuine problem up in Scotland they should be concentrating on, but instead they're ploughing time, money and effort into trying to take a Lib Dem safe seat.

They have certainly been saving up their pocket money since 2010 it seems.

They have certainly been saving up their pocket money since 2010 it seems.

I don't know if they have, I think they're taking a massive gamble and I can't understand why.

They're challenging for seats without putting real effort into protecting their core-support areas.

What do they plan to do if SNP take 20-30 seats off them??

Chuff all chance of winning an election that way.

There are other ways of looking at this. As a Labour supporter in Hallam, I welcome the opportunity at last to vote for my first preference and know that it could make a difference. And for Labour to gain a foothold in Hallam would be really significant, when you think how many years it was a safe Tory seat.

If the situation changes over the next 2 weeks, it may still be necessary to vote tactically for the Liberals. In my view the economically illiterate Conservatives must not be let loose; their response to the BANKING/FINANCIAL crisis has been totally inadequate; we must not forget that in 2008 Osborne and Cameron were still saying that there was too much regulation of the banks and financial sector.

JohnE

It's more a case of boots on the ground, you'll get a lot of eager volunteers in Sheffield and they're hardly likely to want to go up to Scotland and probably wouldn't be welcome by some Scots anyway. In the current electoral atmosphere it's the only seat in Sheffield that has a realistic opportunity of changing hands so it's unsurprising that both Labour and Lib Dems are going all in. Even in South Yorkshire as a whole UKIP are on the march but polls don't show them getting anywhere near the Labour incumbents with UKIP topping out at 22%.