Scarifier to borrow

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had an electric scarifier or manual roll one that they would be willing to lend me to do a small lawn? We are in S11.

Depending how good the results I will prob buy one as I've read you are meant to do it twice a year.

Thanks for any replies :-)

John

I would say its more important to aerate rather than scarify once your lawn is in reasonable condition. We used to scarify our lawn but not much came out. We weed and feed in spring and put an autumn feed on later in the year. We have just had the lawn aerated as our dogs compact it during wet weather in winter.

We have previously hired a heavy duty aerator but did buy an attachment for the lawn mower to scarify. We never leave clippings on the lawn and don't get too much moss if we weed (and feed) in spring so there isn't much rubbish to pull out of the lawn.

We occasionally brush lawn sand on to help with drainage (it washes down into the aeration holes).

It's only a small lawn, turf prob been down 4-5 years. Looks good and lovely green from the house but when standing on it looks pretty thin/sparse. I've put down iron sulphate as a moss killer and Vermont weed killer. Raked about a quarter and got a lot of thatch out but even in area I raked I can still see dead stuff so thought scarifier might be more thorough. Planning on raking the rest and then aerating with a pitch fork before overseeding. Trying to persuade my better half to let me buy an electric or manual scarifier. A losing battle at the moment!

Wow! You really do have a problem! Our lawn is north facing and a large part of it is shaded during the day, especially in late autumn through to late spring but ours isn't nowhere near as bad as that.

Do you have the grass box on the mower when you cut? Leaving clippings on the lawn causes the thatch.

Do you have the mower blades set low? Setting them to cut the grass too low weakens the grass and allows more moss to grow.

Once you have aerated the lawn top dress with lawn sand and perhaps some cheap compost from time to time. This will go down into the holes and improve drainage and prevent so much moss growing. It will help the feed to get to the grass roots.

We used to have small lawns so had a cheap, narrow cut, electric mower which we bought scarifier attachments for. I don't know what mower you have but you can do a search and see how cheap scarifier attachments are for some mowers. You might find one suitable for your mower.

I have a Suffolk punch petrol mower with scarifier attachment surplus to requirements in excellent condition if anyone interested!

How much is it?

how much is it?
.............£175