Labour Graves Park leaflet

If its alright by you I'll have the contact details for whom you are going to send the information to.

I don't really trust someone with a track record of white knighting SCC.

You try and help someone and all you get is grief. :rolleyes:

I don't need your kind of help thanks O'Brien.

I don't need your kind of help thanks O'Brien.

I see, you've mistaken me for someone called O'Brien. Apology accepted.

Cobnar Cottage is up for auction with Mark Jenkinson in their January sale.

There is a petition opposing the sale. The Friends of Graves Park have also proposed an alternative and are willing to fund it.

"The latest proposed solution is that a stonemason has volunteered to live in the cottage and restore it to its former glory, using his skills. The Friends of Graves Park have agreed to fund his work (he would give his labour for free and would only need funding for raw materials). The stonemason would also like to run training for young people and workshops for the public. The cottage would remain within the Graves Park trust and in public ownership. This is the perfect solution to the fate of the cottage. The Council, however, see no value in a stonemason working in Graves Park and have rejected this proposal. They are determined to sell the cottage."

I just thought I’d pop in to read all the apologies from the barrack-room lawyers - who so fervently asserted their views about the legal position viz a viz Graves Park Trustees, Sheffield City Council, the Charity Commission and the Friends of Graves Park – in the light of the judgement. See:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/friends-of-graves-park-lose-court-case-against-sheffield-council-1-9612914 

I’ve now read the High Court judgement, in which the Judge simply throws out the Friends’ case and, carefully, but effectively, demonstrates that it was legally weak at every point.

In fact, it was so lacking legal merit that he refused leave to appeal.

What I find astonishing is that the Friends were so lacking judgement that they wasted £40,000 on a futile legal case which could and should have been spent to great benefit in the park.  

What I am not astonished about is that the barrack-room lawyers, who supported them, have failed to acknowledge that they were wrong or apologised to those they so traduced at the time.

Come on guys...you know who you are.

On 16/04/2015 at 12:08, Gunstar_Hero said:

Sheffield Council especially Labour are desperate to sell of Graves park. They only view it as prime building land its truly a disgrace that they treat it this way. Its a fantastic park and it should be embraced

Strange that they don't try to sell off parts of the Botanical Gardens or Endcliffe Park imo. I mean, how much would people pay for a plot of THAT land to stick a house on?

But perhaps its simply because the wealthy in those areas would kick up such a stink that the Labour council wouldn't dare and so are reduced to the lesser parks (in value/economic terms, certainly not in recreational terms) around Sheffield...?

And they do this in an election year too. They must be awfully confident.

10 hours ago, Fougasse said:

Strange that they don't try to sell off parts of the Botanical Gardens or Endcliffe Park imo. I mean, how much would people pay for a plot of THAT land to stick a house on?

But perhaps its simply because the wealthy in those areas would kick up such a stink that the Labour council wouldn't dare and so are reduced to the lesser parks (in value/economic terms, certainly not in recreational terms) around Sheffield...?

And they do this in an election year too. They must be awfully confident.

they didnt sell any land at graves to build a house on, it was an exisiting structure that was beyond econmical repair from the councils view, outside the park and was renovated using the same footprint.

On 24/02/2019 at 21:46, Localman said:

I just thought I’d pop in to read all the apologies from the barrack-room lawyers - who so fervently asserted their views about the legal position viz a viz Graves Park Trustees, Sheffield City Council, the Charity Commission and the Friends of Graves Park – in the light of the judgement. See:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/friends-of-graves-park-lose-court-case-against-sheffield-council-1-9612914 

I’ve now read the High Court judgement, in which the Judge simply throws out the Friends’ case and, carefully, but effectively, demonstrates that it was legally weak at every point.

In fact, it was so lacking legal merit that he refused leave to appeal.

What I find astonishing is that the Friends were so lacking judgement that they wasted £40,000 on a futile legal case which could and should have been spent to great benefit in the park.  

What I am not astonished about is that the barrack-room lawyers, who supported them, have failed to acknowledge that they were wrong or apologised to those they so traduced at the time.

Come on guys...you know who you are.

What is legal is not always what is just, or morally right. 

On 27 February 2019 at 03:13, Lex Luthor said:

What is legal is not always what is just, or morally right. 

It's the Liebour council, how many times they have claimed credit for other people's efforts  in their  leaflets,

Hillsborough has had a few, they make everyone think they are doing the hard work, we get this  in Hillsborough,  there was a thread on the Hillsborough Park a dedicated running track, the Pond and no doubt when the Coach House is done it'll be a Liebour achievement after all they will and have turned up for a photo shoot.

despite it being Ageuk and private charities funds that will bring it to life. Councils have always neglected parks, the Walled Garden would now be a council car park, if locals hadn't had acted in the 90s raised and did the volunteering work.

On 15/04/2015 at 16:11, barpen said:

I have just received a leaflet from the Labour Party outlining "New Investment in Graves Park".

Surely this leaflet is some kind of bad joke.

The plan is to sell a cottage that belongs to the Graves Park Charity and use the proceeds for one of several schemes laid out on the leaflet. They are asking local people to aid and abet this idea by ticking which scheme they would prefer. All are schemes that the council is obliged to fund from its own pocket, not those of the charity.

Unfortunately the land is not the council's to sell. It belongs to the Graves Park Charity. (remember St Lukes). The deeds of the charity say that should any land be sold from the park that it must be used to buy other land of equal or higher amenity value to the park. It does not say that money can be used as a substitute for the council's obligation to maintain the park.

The leaflet claims..Cobnar Cottage is located outsidethe park walls as if this makes a difference. There are walls all over the park and they do not indicate the park's boundaries. If they did Norton Hall would be part of the park.

The leaflet also states that the cottage in need of repair. Indeed it is. This is despite the council having an obligation to maintain the cottage. So neglect of duty is being used as an excuse to sell property that the council does not even own but is obliged to maintain.

What a pity that this leaflet isn't printed on softer paper so that I could put it to some use. Instead I have forwarded it to the Charity Commission so that they are aware of yet another attempted abuse by the charities trustees.

well said ... and sending it to the charitry commission   good idea I hope it works.

what is it that the council have got against greaves park?

next local election ask your council candidates about their views on greaves park...    though do recall it is not the councillors that run the council and make decisions on behalf of us all that we don't actually want it is the council employees

31 minutes ago, fill said:

well said ... and sending it to the charitry commission   good idea I hope it works.

what is it that the council have got against greaves park?

next local election ask your council candidates about their views on greaves park...    though do recall it is not the councillors that run the council and make decisions on behalf of us all that we don't actually want it is the council employees

To be fair, the Graves Park ward has three Lib Dem councillors who do work to protect the park. Hard battle against a Labour majority led council though.