Labour Graves Park leaflet

Sheffield Council especially Labour are desperate to sell of Graves park. They only view it as prime building land its truly a disgrace that they treat it this way. Its a fantastic park and it should be embraced

Sheffield Council especially Labour are desperate to sell of Graves park. They only view it as prime building land its truly a disgrace that they treat it this way. Its a fantastic park and it should be embraced

I have no personal knowledge of the situation, just what I read in various SF threads, but it just seems incredible to me that what appears to be the same issue keeps cropping up in different guises over and over again. Part of the Council (not sure if that is the case here, it may just be the local Labour party) want to do something with part of the park that they have no authority to do. As a result, local concerned residents have to react and advise the Charities Commission, so that the Council can be put back in their place.

It's a pity there can't be some sort of injunction taken out to actually stop the Council from trying to do this. An injunction would stop them in their tracks, and improve the behavior of those officers who otherwise would keep on advocating such sell offs.

Well they attempted to sell off Norton Nursery to become a housing estate. They spent a fortone in the attempt before the Charity Commission pointed out that the land belonged to the Graves Park Charity and could not be sold.

Then they tried to sell part of the playing fields in Graves Park to a private individual who wanted a garden extension. They spent a fortone in the attempt before the Charity Commission pointed out that the land belonged to the Graves Park Charity and could not be sold.

Then they tried to sell land out of the park to be used as a driveway at Chantry Cottage. They spent a fortone in the attempt before the Charity Commission pointed out that the land belonged to the Graves Park Charity and could not be sold.

Then they tried to sell off 8 or 10 acres to St Lukes for them to use to build a hospice. Both parties involved spent a fortone in the attempt before the Charity Commission pointed out that the land belonged to the Graves Park Charity and could not be sold.

Now they are trying to sell off a cottage that is in the park. The Charity Commission are now aware and have told the council to submit a scheme of their proposed disposal. I think we can see where this is going.

The common factor is the money wasted by the council in flogging the same dead horse over and over again. Any fool can make a costly mistake but it takes a certain type of idiot to keep making the same mistake over and over again. Stick your hand in the fire it burns, but you really need to be thick to keep trying in case it doesn't burn next time.

Edited by barpen

I have read that the scc are to give away all the parks to the national trust ,so they don't have to pay for there upkeep.

I have read that the scc are to give away all the parks to the national trust ,so they don't have to pay for there upkeep.

Read where?

Silly news weekly??

That would be really great. It is clear that the council cabinet are not fit to run the Graves Park Charity. I don't suppose The National Trust would stand for the council shipping in bags of dog crap, old fridges, and shopping trolleys from around the city and storing it in Graves Park if they were in charge.

That sounds like utter hogwash to me. Why would the NT want urban parks?

I read that SCC want to build a ladder to the moon.

The Graves Park issue cost Labour control of the council a few years ago. Please tell me they are not daft enough to throw a chance of control of the council away again.

The Graves Park issue cost Labour control of the council a few years ago.

Any evidence of that? Labour last lost control of SCC in 2007 due to the unpopularity of the Blair government.

Any evidence of that? Labour last lost control of SCC in 2007 due to the unpopularity of the Blair government.

Yes, the Graves Park Sheffield Forum thread and letters to the Star at the time. Where the Lib Dems, who were the only councillors to stand up for Graves Park, were given overall control of the council, and Nick Clegg will always have Coun Auckland to thank for that.

Edited by Mr Bloom