Labour Graves Park leaflet

I have just received a leaflet from the Labour Party outlining "New Investment in Graves Park".

Surely this leaflet is some kind of bad joke.

The plan is to sell a cottage that belongs to the Graves Park Charity and use the proceeds for one of several schemes laid out on the leaflet. They are asking local people to aid and abet this idea by ticking which scheme they would prefer. All are schemes that the council is obliged to fund from its own pocket, not those of the charity.

Unfortunately the land is not the council's to sell. It belongs to the Graves Park Charity. (remember St Lukes). The deeds of the charity say that should any land be sold from the park that it must be used to buy other land of equal or higher amenity value to the park. It does not say that money can be used as a substitute for the council's obligation to maintain the park.

The leaflet claims..Cobnar Cottage is located outsidethe park walls as if this makes a difference. There are walls all over the park and they do not indicate the park's boundaries. If they did Norton Hall would be part of the park.

The leaflet also states that the cottage in need of repair. Indeed it is. This is despite the council having an obligation to maintain the cottage. So neglect of duty is being used as an excuse to sell property that the council does not even own but is obliged to maintain.

What a pity that this leaflet isn't printed on softer paper so that I could put it to some use. Instead I have forwarded it to the Charity Commission so that they are aware of yet another attempted abuse by the charities trustees.

Edited by barpen

why are the council in a position to try to sell a cottage that they do not own?

I have just received a leaflet from the Labour Party outlining "New Investment in Graves Park".

Surely this leaflet is some kind of bad joke.

The plan is to sell a cottage that belongs to the Graves Park Charity and use the proceeds for one of several schemes laid out on the leaflet. They are asking local people to aid and abet this idea by ticking which scheme they would prefer. All are schemes that the council is obliged to fund from its own pocket, not those of the charity.

Unfortunately the land is not the council's to sell. It belongs to the Graves Park Charity. (remember St Lukes). The deeds of the charity say that should any land be sold from the park that it must be used to buy other land of equal or higher amenity value to the park. It does not say that money can be used as a substitute for the council's obligation to maintain the park.

The leaflet claims..Cobnar Cottage is located outsidethe park walls as if this makes a difference. There are walls all over the park and they do not indicate the park's boundaries. If they did Norton Hall would be part of the park.

The leaflet also states that the cottage in need of repair. Indeed it is. This is despite the council having an obligation to maintain the cottage. So neglect of duty is being used as an excuse to sell property that the council does not even own but is obliged to maintain.

What a pity that this leaflet isn't printed on softer paper so that I could put it to some use. Instead I have forwarded it to the Charity Commission so that they are aware of yet another attempted abuse by the charities trustees.

If this is true, then it is disgraceful.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1203456

I think there are another couple of threads similar.

This is totally different. This is about a party political leaflet telling the local electorate about a range of improvements and asking the electorate to choose how they would like this windfall spent. Unfortunately this windfall actually is the property of a registered charity. It doesn't belong to the council, and it certainly doesn't belong to the Labour Party.

From the council, or from the Labour party?

It is a Labour Part election leaflet.

So is it an election leaflet offering something that they cannot deliver? No change there then.

Is it leased property or freehold ?

Is it leased property or freehold ?

The property is freehold and owned 100% by the Graves Park Charity.

It's an old and fairly vacuous/sterile line in political debates but..."spending other people's money" somehow seems quite apt here :hihi:

From neither, robbing a charity to pay for work they should have done themselves.