Efexor -venlafaxine anti depressants

does any one take venlaxine efexor and been on it a long time or a short period what expieriances have you had,side effects etc.do you want to come off it because you feel like you have been on it too long or worried about long term effects.ive been on it for five years and want to lower my dose cause im on top dose.eventually want to come off it.

Have a chat with your doctor, only you wnad he/she know what's right. But you need to start somewhere to ask your doctor to lower the dose.

my doctor told me to take two one day then three the next then if i feel comfortable after a month drop down to two then take it from there.

staffie, you really need to speak to whoever prescribes your Venlafaxine. They will be able to give you a proper written reduction plan to follow.

If you try to reduce your dose too quickly, you could end up feeling worse than you ever did, so it is always best to get professional advice.

The main problem with Venlafaxine (as far as I'm aware) is that it has a very short half life so it's very easy to reduce your levels too far and then it's problematic to stabalise. Be aware that you almost certainly have some problems as you reduce (probably things like headache and disorientation as you step down levels) and maybe some emotional disturbances and even things like panic attacks as your brain chemistry settles down. Oh and it will probably take longer than you think - think in the order of months not weeks or days. As other people have said DEFINATELY consult your doctor before you start to reduce.

Apparantly these are strong anti-depressants and you need good advice about coming off them. I have heard they are trying to get people weaned off them.

I took then for about a year, and my daughter for five years. But, I was only on a low dose, while my daughter was on a much higher dose.

I am now taking another antidepressant and my daughter has changed to yet another brand, whilst recieving cognitive counselling ... which helps you understand the nature of the illness and how it can best be managed, if it cannot be cured.

I had very few adverse symptoms, but did feel quite numb emotionally whilst I was taking them.

My advice for coming off them... very, very slowly, look out for and downward spiral in mood ..also ask your doctor about cognitive counselling.

It's not about chewing over problems or anxities, but retraining your mind to think more positively.

Also bear in mind that everyone is different and that my experiences probabaly won't reflect yours. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I used to be on the maximun dose of this particular medication. One day I decided that I didn't want to be reliant on them any more, and slowly weaned myself off them. I did this over a couple of months and didn't feel any immediate effects. But after a few months, my mood was at an all time low. I started back on them on the lowest dose, and still am today. This is a happier medium for me. However, if I forget to take my tablets for a few days on the trot I start to feel light headed/dizzy and find it very difficult to concentrate and focus. If I'm having a particularly bad time of it I can barely stand. It's a very weird sensation. Just be careful, and good luck :)

thankyou all for good advice.

I have been on venlafaxine for 3 1/2 years. My doc took me off them late last year and tried me on 2 different one's, I had bad side effects from each one and am now back on venlafaxine. I have twice gone without them for up to 5 days and things get really wierd. The first time I actually felt as if I'd taken drugs, My life at the time was pretty settled. The second time I did it I became very deppressed and could'nt function normally, At that time I had other problems and was feeling quite emotional anyway. My advise would be to make sure you are mentally ready and nothing in your life that you can be aware of will cause you any setback. We who have been through this illness know that we can be the only one's to know when we are ready to wean ourselves off medication with whatever outside help we can get. Good luck for the future.

I have been on venlafaxine for 3 1/2 years. My doc took me off them late last year and tried me on 2 different one's, I had bad side effects from each one and am now back on venlafaxine. I have twice gone without them for up to 5 days and things get really wierd. The first time I actually felt as if I'd taken drugs, My life at the time was pretty settled. The second time I did it I became very deppressed and could'nt function normally, At that time I had other problems and was feeling quite emotional anyway. My advise would be to make sure you are mentally ready and nothing in your life that you can be aware of will cause you any setback. We who have been through this illness know that we can be the only one's to know when we are ready to wean ourselves off medication with whatever outside help we can get. Good luck for the future.

its nice to know that theres other people out there that have had or having same problem.thankyou very much for good advice,i wish you good luck too,cheers virgoman.

I know someone who used to be on Efexor for a while but weaned herself of them. Read lots of bad reports about it being the hardest antidepressant to get off and most people wished they'd never started with it.

hiya all this is staffie,reduced my tablets down over last week,i know ive got to do it .feeling very shaky and tearful.it is only the beggining i know .sometimes you feel like you are on your own.ive got a long way to go.