Bradford City fire - Chairman linked to 8 previous fires

taxman

A book by a survivor of the disaster has cast doubt on the official enquiry after revealing that there had been at least eight other fires at business premises either owned by, or connected to, Stafford Heginbotham, Bradford’s then-chairman, in the previous 18 years, resulting in huge insurance claims. Fletcher does not make any direct allegations but he does believe Heginbotham’s history with fires, resulting in payouts of around £27m in today’s terms, warranted further investigation. “Could any man really be as unlucky as Heginbotham had been?” he asks.

I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

The author didn't come across very well on Look North he didn't seem to have anything remotely like evidence.

I have to agree - I think it was the question about why would Heginbotham be sitting in the stand if he knew it was about to be set on fire that really threw him.

There are just too many fires in that guy's business history, aren't there?

Apparently, the club were well aware that the area was a fire hazard, as it had been highlighted in H&S inspections previously.

Sometimes you don't have to be the one that drops the match/cigarette to be responsible.

The interesting point was that quick, rushed investigation that was all over in a matter of a few weeks after the disaster - that is also incomprehensible, especially added to the fact that there was no investigation in to the poor state of the club's finances at the time.

By the way, why is this is tucked away in the Sports Section? It's a matter of national interest, with a sports connection but it's about negligence (at best) and should be in the General Section.

Edited by Mr Bloom

Apparently the Bradford chairman had been hit with a bill to modernise his stadium a few days before the fire.

I believe they had to modernise the stadium to comply with the regulations on their promotion, so they will have known about this, a while before you would think.

I believe they had to modernise the stadium to comply with the regulations on their promotion, so they will have known about this, a while before you would think.

Maybe he only found out the financial cost of the modernisation after the club were promoted/when the club was near to promotion?