26 years ago Hillsborough

My memory might be deceiving me but I dont think the match was on TV apart from the news as the tragedy began to unfold, it was in the days before semi-finals were televised and was a 3pm Saturday game.

My memory might be deceiving me but I dont think the match was on TV apart from the news as the tragedy began to unfold, it was in the days before semi-finals were televised and was a 3pm Saturday game.

Yes you are right mate it wasn't , but like you say soon as the news unfolded it was on constantly , sat watching it and couldn't believe what I was seeing , I remember taking some flowers down to the ground next morning , very sad.

I had been into Sheffield that afternoon, got home and switched on the tv to see how the match was going only to see reports of an alleged pitch invasion, what followed was beyond comprehension.

I was in the changing rooms in Harringtons, radio was on and the awful news was unfolding...

Yes, top, the cameras were only there for the high lights but the cameras stayed on as the tragedy unfolded - so I am sorry if it sounded wrong, but from the report it just stayed there and as it was all unfolding at my home ground I was transfixed, watching the awfulness of it all.

Was out in the Nottingham area for the day and was not near a tv or radio. Knew something had happened when I saw National Express boards at the Victoria Bus station (was their coach terminal then) displaying emergency phone numbers about some incident in Sheffield which I thought it was unrelated to football. On the way into town I had overheard two Forest supporters on the same bus quite upbeat about winning the replay, which I assumed ended in a draw. I was therefore looking forward to seeing the highlights what I thought might have been a cracking match. Only when I got home I was told not to bother about the highlights.

Struggled to get in the Beehive on Dykes hall rd to meet my mate at 11-15,couple of beers and we set off for Oldham to see our lot play.picked up a programme on leppings lane and set off .Our game kicked off at 3-00pm which was the norm in then days,5 past 3 they put it over the tannoy that the game had been abandoned due to crowd trouble. didn:t know the outcome till we switched the car wireless when travelling over the woodhead pass on our return journey.The Taylor report afterwards certainly has a lot to answer for stating that stadiums should be all seater.{....} him what does he know about what supporters want

Guest sibon

I'd been walking in Monsal Dale with some friends. We had a lovely lunch in the pub and then drove back to Nether Edge.

Then I put the TV on. It took me a very long time to process what I was watching.

Horrendous.

I count myself fortunate that I was in no way shape or form interested in football at this time, just hope with the openness of the inquests the families concerned can finally get some peace.

I remember the first home game after the tragedy (v. Leicester I think) the perimeter fencing at the Leppings Lane end was covered with a blue tarpaulin and a very sombre mood was prevalent.

I thought the first game (after) was a Central League game? v. Barnsley?

The first home 1st team game was v. West Ham, on a Tuesday.

Edited by Joe Momma
x