Extension of Right To Buy Scheme

This has been happening for years. I remember a man from the council coming to my parents house back in the early 90's to look at buying it back. They where not paying market price though.

The reason being, as is the same with Sheffield roads, is councils have not invested in maintaining or building up their stock and so they find they have a shortfall and have to buy their way out of the hole they put themselves in.

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 12:12 ----------

Blame the local councils then for wasting the money.

This isn't a uniquely Sheffield or Yorkshire problem, it's nationwide....So let's all just blame everybody...eh?....I've yet to hear Mr Cameron make any sort of speech where he's not referring to something or someone that happened years ago and 'blaming them'....Obviously nobody has whispered in his ear that negative campaigning doesn't work....It just switches people off.

This isn't a uniquely Sheffield or Yorkshire problem, it's nationwide....So let's all just blame everybody...eh?....I've yet to hear Mr Cameron make any sort of speech where he's not referring to something or someone that happened years ago and 'blaming them'....Obviously nobody has whispered in his ear that negative campaigning doesn't work....It just switches people off.

Do you have the stats for the total number of social housing available in each constituency/region and how many people are on the waiting lists?

If they can sell of a "better" council home and build 2 more with the cash is that a problem? Genuine question Pete..

Ummmm...It's a bit more complex than that....lets say I have a modest run of the mill council house, and decide to buy it. Presumably the council then have to sell off a bigger better council house....Presumably that's gonna be occupied..Possibly by someone who may not want to buy it....So are they going to be forced to move, so the council can sell it?....Maybe it's a big house with a big family living there?....Don't the councils need bigger properties?....None of it makes sense to me....

Also of course....It 'didn't' happen the last time...as was proved earlier in the thread....What confidence can we have that houses will be built on a one for one basis (buy one build one)?

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 12:25 ----------

Do you have the stats for the total number of social housing available in each constituency/region and how many people are on the waiting lists?

Nope...Do you?

Ummmm...It's a bit more complex than that....lets say I have a modest run of the mill council house, and decide to buy it. Presumably the council then have to sell off a bigger better council house....Presumably that's gonna be occupied..Possibly by someone who may not want to buy it....So are they going to be forced to move, so the council can sell it?....Maybe it's a big house with a big family living there?....Don't the councils need bigger properties?....None of it makes sense to me....

Also of course....It 'didn't' happen the last time...as was proved earlier in the thread....What confidence can we have that houses will be built on a one for one basis (buy one build one)?

Second point first..apparently the legislation will say that they must be built on a one for one..don't blame me, it's what's in the media :)

First point...it says they must sell the most valuable houses when they become empty

"The move would be funded by new rules forcing councils to sell properties ranked in the most expensive third of their type in the local area, once they become vacant, with every house purchased replaced "on a one-for-one basis". "

So it doesn't look like people will be forced to move...again,I'm just reporting what's in the news..

Second point first..apparently the legislation will say that they must be built on a one for one..don't blame me, it's what's in the media :)

First point...it says they must sell the most valuable houses when they become empty

"The move would be funded by new rules forcing councils to sell properties ranked in the most expensive third of their type in the local area, once they become vacant, with every house purchased replaced "on a one-for-one basis". "

So it doesn't look like people will be forced to move...again,I'm just reporting what's in the news..

Well....I'm not pointing fingers at you...But I simply don't believe it will happen....We all know that the 'best' houses rarely become vacant, simply because they're the best...The mechanics of it, simply won't work.

Nope...Do you?

Im not the one making the claim

This isn't a uniquely Sheffield or Yorkshire problem, it's nationwide....So let's all just blame everybody...eh?.

If you are so sure this is a national problem, you must at least be privy to some statistical evidence, unless you are just a person making a unsubstantiated claim.

Im not the one making the claim

If you are so sure this is a national problem, you must at least be privy to some statistical evidence, unless you are just a person making a unsubstantiated claim.

So you think it's unique to Sheffield? The mind boggles.

Hang on I'll make a quick freedom of information request to every council in the land, then I can provide you with the figures :suspect:

So, Cameron announces the extension of the Right To Buy policy today.

Now, giving housing association tenants the right to buy at a dramatically reduced rate.

And this alongside a new commitment to build a few thousand new homes up and down the country.

How does he propose this will all be funded? By councils being forced to sell off their more valuable housing stock.

Well, the private landlords will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Well its good to see that David "I want to be maggie thatcher" Camaloon is helping increase homelessness. Is his next step to find a few miners to oppress and start a war with argentina?

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 15:04 ----------

According to the Tory manifesto the houses bought under the new scheme would have to be replaced on a one for one basis..

And we all know how reliable manifestos are dont we :)

So you think it's unique to Sheffield? The mind boggles.

Hang on I'll make a quick freedom of information request to every council in the land, then I can provide you with the figures :suspect:

I didn't say that. I asked if you have the stats you are so obviously referring too as you seem to know all about the national issue. If you don't know the facts why are you making a claim its a national issue. Did a bloke down t'pub tell you? I suppse it must be true in that case.

And we all know how reliable manifestos are dont we :)

Labours looks like it was written on the bag of a fag packet 5 minutes before it was announced, it's sad to see the party run by such mongs at the moment. :(

I didn't say that. I asked if you have the stats you are so obviously referring too as you seem to know all about the national issue. If you don't know the facts why are you making a claim its a national issue. Did a bloke down t'pub tell you? I suppse it must be true in that case.

Nope....I just seem to be more aware than you....

Here's a little light reading..... ;)

Nope....I just seem to be more aware than you....

Here's a little light reading..... ;)

I don't see the statistical evidence of this being a national issue. On a whole we don not build enough houses, that is the only verdict from your link.

But as this proposal is to boost house building by 400,000 homes by 2020 in addition to the average of 150,000 homes currently being built. This would put the number of houses built for the period to 100,000 less than the required for the period or there is a shortfall of 20,000 homes to be built per year. That is a heck of a lot better then under Labour.