Extension of Right To Buy Scheme

This not only creates a wealth of low prices housing, it also takes away the burden of maintenance from the councils and housing associations.

The main point being .. it takes stock from social housing that will never be replaced meaning more money for private landlords.

The main point being .. it takes stock from social housing that will never be replaced meaning more money for private landlords.

It will never be replaced because the cash from the sales is piddled up the wall.

The original idea was sell off the old stock and use the proceeds to build new.

Old housing stock is abit of a headache for councils, it needs regular maintenance and periodic overhauls. both which need an army of workmen to attend to.

New builds require much less maintenance and won't need an overhaul for a good decade unless there is damage.

Problem is all the money from the sale of the housing stock was chucked away on other projects and few new housing was built.

It will never be replaced because the cash from the sales is piddled up the wall.

The original idea was sell off the old stock and use the proceeds to build new.

Old housing stock is abit of a headache for councils, it needs regular maintenance and periodic overhauls. both which need an army of workmen to attend to.

New builds require much less maintenance and won't need an overhaul for a good decade unless there is damage.

Problem is all the money from the sale of the housing stock was chucked away on other projects and few new housing was built.

I can't remember exactly, but wasn't there some kind of clause where the government wouldn't allow the councils to spend the proceeds from the sale of council houses to build new ones?....Or it might just be my imagination :huh:

I can't remember exactly, but wasn't there some kind of clause where the government wouldn't allow the councils to spend the proceeds from the sale of council houses to build new ones?....Or it might just be my imagination :huh:

I'm not sure, would have to look into it now you mention it.

I thought the opposite but could be well wrong.

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 11:46 ----------

No you're quite right, I'm all confused.

Half the proceeds of the sales were paid to the local authorities, but they were restricted to spending the money to reduce their debt until it was cleared, rather than being able to spend it on building more homes.

The effect was to reduce the council housing stock, especially in areas where property prices were high such as London and the south-east of England. This trend was exacerbated by a government imposed ban on local authorities using their revenues from council house sales to fund new housing

Edited by geared

I'm not sure, would have to look into it now you mention it.

I thought the opposite but could be well wrong.

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 11:46 ----------

No you're quite right, I'm all confused.

Speaks volumes doesn't it?.....I'm pleased I actually remembered that <smug grin>....hahaha

there's nothing wrong with selling these houses as long as the money is ploughed back into building more houses.

The discount needs looking at. Maybe there is other help you could give the home buyer rather than a discount. Or maybe make the time in residence longer before you qualify.

there's nothing wrong with selling these houses as long as the money is ploughed back into building more houses.

The discount needs looking at. Maybe there is other help you could give the home buyer rather than a discount. Or maybe make the time in residence longer before you qualify.

Yes, but....(gawd..sound like a teen)....Going on past evidence, that definitely wasn't the case!

Yes, but....(gawd..sound like a teen)....Going on past evidence, that definitely wasn't the case!

According to the Tory manifesto the houses bought under the new scheme would have to be replaced on a one for one basis..

Did any see "Rooms, Rogues and Renters" on BBC2 last night. Some councils are now having to rent back the houses sold under the right to buy from private landlords to house people. They are even buying back some houses at market price after having sold them at a massive discount.

Its on BBC iplayer if you didn't see it, its a real eye opener.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05nv2zw/rooms-rogues-and-renters

According to the Tory manifesto the houses bought under the new scheme would have to be replaced on a one for one basis..

Funded how?.....Oh that's right...selling off even more of the 'better' council homes....Will they also have to be replaced one for one?

Did any see "Rooms, Rogues and Renters" on BBC2 last night. Some councils are now having to rent back the houses sold under the right to buy from private landlords to house people. They are even buying back some houses at market price after having sold them at a massive discount.

Its on BBC iplayer if you didn't see it, its a real eye opener.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05nv2zw/rooms-rogues-and-renters

This has been happening for years. I remember a man from the council coming to my parents house back in the early 90's to look at buying it back. They where not paying market price though.

The reason being, as is the same with Sheffield roads, is councils have not invested in maintaining or building up their stock and so they find they have a shortfall and have to buy their way out of the hole they put themselves in.

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 12:12 ----------

Blame the local councils then for wasting the money.

Funded how?.....Oh that's right...selling off even more of the 'better' council homes....Will they also have to be replaced one for one?

If they can sell of a "better" council home and build 2 more with the cash is that a problem? Genuine question Pete..