Should Sheffield follow Daventry and fine irresponsible dog owners?

Apologies if I've missed this point in the thread, but looking at council website, it says about a relevant Act:

'Also it does not apply to farmland, woodland, marshland, moor, heath or common land. In these areas it is not an offence to fail to clear up after your dog, but, for the benefit of everyone else who uses the area, it is a good idea to do so, and that is what we would like to see.'

Where do you pick up from in Sheffield and the surrounding countryside?

Don't hold your breath for fines, they intend on doing exactly what dog wardens have always done.

"Mr Knight said: 'We want officers to talk to dog owners informally at first. We may also give out bags. But if a dog warden has advised the same person a number of times and they are still leaving dog mess, then they would get a fixed-penalty notice that will have to be paid within seven days. Failure to do so could result in a court prosecution and £1,000 fine"

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 18:35 ----------

No it isn't. Its £100 if you are a repeat offender then £1000 potentially if you don't pay the £100.

Yes, sorry, you're right; the fixed penalty fines are £100 I meant.

I don´t think it is lack of poo bags that stands in the way of people picking it up, in the majority of cases. We will have the same lazy people around, only difference is that they will have a few poo bags in their pocket - that they don´t use.

Enforceable in no way what so ever. Its a civil offence, not a criminal one.

Incorrect. It's a criminal offence.

s.67, para 2 of Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014/12/part/4/chapter/2/crossheading/failure-to-comply-with-orders/enacted

A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

If you refused to pay the fixed penalty fine, and if the local authority pursued prosecution, then you could end up being convicted of refusing to pay that fine in a magistrate's court, and end up with a larger fine.

And if you refuse to pay *that* fine, which is due to the court and not to the local authority, then the court has various options open to it, including getting court bailiffs to pursue the fine, taking money from benefits, wages, etc. Of course, there are lots of steps before getting that far, and even when it does get that far, people do still manage to avoid paying by various means. In fact, the ultimate penalty could potentially be imprisonment, though I'd have thought this would be very rare for a minor offence like this.

But it is a criminal offence to breach a public space protection order.

Edited by Dannyno

It never ceases to amaze me just how much interest people have in dog sh*t.

Nobody enjoys the squelch of dog cr*p under their shoe but come on - some perspective please.

By the amount of utter cr*p being written anyone would think that we humans are the squeakiest of squeaky clean shiny things in the universe!!

Look around - we've damn near destroyed the planet with our cr*p much of which is highly dangerous.

Interestingly, a recent post on S.F about a woman being robbed in front of her small daughter didn't generate half the interest that this post did.

I live in the US and where we are at you must clean up after your pet. There is a fine to pay if you don't clean up after the pet.

Nobody enjoys the squelch of dog cr*p under their shoe but come on - some perspective please.

By the amount of utter cr*p being written anyone would think that we humans are the squeakiest of squeaky clean shiny things in the universe!!

Look around - we've damn near destroyed the planet with our cr*p much of which is highly dangerous.

Interestingly, a recent post on S.F about a woman being robbed in front of her small daughter didn't generate half the interest that this post did.

Perspective?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2242751/Girl-nearly-goes-blind-inadvertently-eating-parasite-dog-mess-travelled-stomach-EYEBALL.html

Eye threat to Manchester toddler who fell in dog mess

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-11012044

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 23:33 ----------

There are lots of threads about even less important issues than this. And yet you haven't posted this kind of comment in any of those. Get some perspective.

that's a great idea about time

Incorrect. It's a criminal offence.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014/12/part/4/chapter/2/crossheading/failure-to-comply-with-orders/enacted

If you refused to pay the fixed penalty fine, and if the local authority pursued prosecution, then you could end up being convicted of refusing to pay that fine in a magistrate's court, and end up with a larger fine.

And if you refuse to pay *that* fine, which is due to the court and not to the local authority, then the court has various options open to it, including getting court bailiffs to pursue the fine, taking money from benefits, wages, etc. Of course, there are lots of steps before getting that far, and even when it does get that far, people do still manage to avoid paying by various means. In fact, the ultimate penalty could potentially be imprisonment, though I'd have thought this would be very rare for a minor offence like this.

But it is a criminal offence to breach a public space protection order.

Well, ill be honest im surprised at that but im always happy to be proved wrong and learn something new.

"Incorrect. It's a criminal offence.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...orders/enacted"

The only bylaw I am aware of regarding this in Sheffield at present is allowing your dog to foul in designated areas and not failing to carry a bag so again how would a fine for not carrying a bag stand up?

I clear up after my dogs but at the end of a walk I can have none or only 1 bag left on me as I have more than one dog then where would I stand?

I know my dogs are empty (so to speak) and their mess is in the bins or I am still carrying it till I get to a bin but would a warden accept this?

If they do do this can the wardens that monitor this also issue on the spot fines (put their pictures on a website etc) to all those who litter, or allow their children to drop litter, in public spaces, and by litter I include dropping food and fag ends both of which have caused injury/illness to my dogs.

And rub their noses in it, the owners as well as the dogs.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

"Incorrect. It's a criminal offence.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...orders/enacted"

The only bylaw I am aware of regarding this in Sheffield at present is allowing your dog to foul in designated areas and not failing to carry a bag so again how would a fine for not carrying a bag stand up?

I clear up after my dogs but at the end of a walk I can have none or only 1 bag left on me as I have more than one dog then where would I stand?

I know my dogs are empty (so to speak) and their mess is in the bins or I am still carrying it till I get to a bin but would a warden accept this?

If they do do this can the wardens that monitor this also issue on the spot fines (put their pictures on a website etc) to all those who litter, or allow their children to drop litter, in public spaces, and by litter I include dropping food and fag ends both of which have caused injury/illness to my dogs.

Remember that we're talking about a new legal "protection order" mechanism which has not yet been implemented anywhere yet - some councils are however moving to consult on doing so.

Councils can already levy fixed penalty fines or prosecute thanks to powers under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005:http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/16/part/6/chapter/1.

Littering is covered by the same legislation: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/16/part/3/crossheading/offence-of-dropping-litter

The problem, from the council's point of view, is that it's probably not that common for a warden or other official to catch someone in the act of committing the offence.

What the new legislation does is allow a more pro-active approach, so you don't need to catch people "in the act". They are not likely to be heavy-handed in applying it, especially to start with. Daventry look to be imagining quite a light-touch, to start with.