Mugging in the genel at the side of Rawson pub 12/04 *Man arrested*

As John s6 says the guy is pleading not guilty but is being held in custody.... I will update as & when I know more.

He was listed for a preliminary hearing at the Crown Court (case number T20157229) on 1st May, the date that was set back in April when he first appeared before magistrates. He will remain in custody until trial, if he's pleading not guilty.

OK, I don't really understand how the courts work, I assumed it would have been sorted by now. Thanks for the info!

No the items as yet have not been recovered.

Just an update.... The guys pleaded not guilty so it's going to trial mid September.

He will probably not get imprisoned at all if he says hes suffering from mental illness (the latest get out of jail free card).

Yep it annoys me when that happens. It happens a lot. A guy knocked seven bells out of a bus driver and he got off because of mental illness. A woman stole a handbag off a woman (who I believe is the widow of the person killed in Grenoside, I could be wrong) and again mental health card played.

Really pleased he got a stiff sentence.

Pleased and shocked. Well the sentencing system confuses me. I was expecting him to get a matter of months.

Thankfully for once justice has been served.

I really think it's about time we started to treat these people as the Dutch do and supply them with their drug of choice under controlled conditions. They found a dramatic drop in acquisitive attacks after doing this.

This is the best way forward - cheaper in the long run, cuts crime and makes it easier to support people to tackle their addiction (like we do with smoking and alcohol).

Sadly some people are just closed minded and with a Tory government hell bent on austerity for austerities sake there seems no hope.

It's great they've caught the person responsible and hopefully he will be off the streets for a while. Sadly once the fuss has died down we'll see the police disappear again as they can't afford to put bobbies on the beat.

What would be really awesome is if he had to serve the full 9 years handed to him!

What an absolute scutterbag

This is the best way forward - cheaper in the long run, cuts crime and makes it easier to support people to tackle their addiction (like we do with smoking and alcohol).

Sadly some people are just closed minded and with a Tory government hell bent on austerity for austerities sake there seems no hope.

It would be much cheaper to go down this route rather than spending all that resource on Police/Courts/Judges. Never mind that this kid now has a roof over his head for 9 (ok 4.5) years at our expense.

I've seen nothing in the reports about him being an addict, just a thieving scumbag.