Sick Notes - fake or real?

Hi Guys,

Do you know if there is a way to check is a "statement of Fitness for work" or "sick Note" is genuine. Cant seem to find anything on google

Phone the prescriber, it should have a contact number/address of the person that prescribed it

Assuming your talking about someone elses sicknote and not yours? No, i wouldnt have thought its possible to find out if its fake. The data protections act should apply shouldnt it?

Phone the prescriber, it should have a contact number/address of the person that prescribed it

There is a number, I will try that. The signature on the paper isn't right. the who form looks printed/photocopied

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 11:42 ----------

Assuming your talking about someone elses sicknote and not yours? No, i wouldnt have thought its possible to find out if its fake. The data protections act should apply shouldnt it?

Thats what I though. All I want to know is did the doctor actually produce and sign the note though. I don't want to know anything about the employee.

Looking on google has made me realize how easy it is to produce/buy a fake note

Hi Guys,

Do you know if there is a way to check is a "statement of Fitness for work" or "sick Note" is genuine. Cant seem to find anything on google

Patient-doctor confidentiality might stop you finding out

Patient-doctor confidentiality might stop you finding out

agreed

as an employer I find it hard to believe how easy it is to get a note and not be able to authenticate it.......

agreed

as an employer I find it hard to believe how easy it is to get a note and not be able to authenticate it.......

If you think your staff are taking the mick then sack them. Im on the lookout for work, give me their job :)

agreed

Rightly so its to stop employers snooping up on employees. Laws and policy is put there for a reason. Put it this way, i dont think many employees would appreciate their bosd prying into their private affairs and having a relationship with their doctor. Where does it end.

Rightly so its to stop employers snooping up on employees. Laws and policy is put there for a reason. Put it this way, i dont think many employees would appreciate their bosd prying into their private affairs and having a relationship with their doctor. Where does it end.

not quite sure authenticating a sick note is prying...

not quite sure authenticating a sick note is prying...

Some people probably think its ok to fake a day or 3 off work and hand in some shady scrap of paper. They know they are protected from being found out which is a sad state of affairs really.

Some people probably think its ok to fake a day or 3 off work and hand in some shady scrap of paper. They know they are protected from being found out which is a sad state of affairs really.

agreed. I'm sure some of my staff have faked a few days here and there but this one has been going on over a month now and I just feel enough is enough.

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 12:24 ----------

You need consent from the employee...otherwise the doctors wont even speak to you..

http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/ethical_guidance/confidentiality.asp

thanks for this. I feel a little powerless but hate being made the fool