Electronic information at tram/bus stops

I've got an old clock with no battery. It's spot on twice a day.

You are too charitable. They simply do not work as intended and the PTE have no idea how to resolve the problem so rather than admitt they are useless better to pretend all is well - after all sometimes they are correct. Who cares about the passengers certainly not the PTE or stagecoach

Fully agree that Stagecoach Supertram don't care about passengers - their "customer care" service certainly doesn't warrant that name! They don't care, don't listen, frequently refuse to investigate reported issues & try to belittle the complainant to make them feel awkward about reporting problems. Absolutely hopeless.

Fully agree that Stagecoach Supertram don't care about passengers - their "customer care" service certainly doesn't warrant that name! They don't care, don't listen, frequently refuse to investigate reported issues & try to belittle the complainant to make them feel awkward about reporting problems. Absolutely hopeless.[/quote

Yet in independent market research they scored extremely high this year amongst customer service and satisfaction so thst doesn’t bore out factually your comment

Maybe you werent satisfied how your issue was handled

Fully agree that Stagecoach Supertram don't care about passengers - their "customer care" service certainly doesn't warrant that name! They don't care, don't listen, frequently refuse to investigate reported issues & try to belittle the complainant to make them feel awkward about reporting problems. Absolutely hopeless.[/quote

Yet in independent market research they scored extremely high this year amongst customer service and satisfaction so thst doesn’t bore out factually your comment

Maybe you werent satisfied how your issue was handled

:hihi::hihi:

I have just returned from 2 month away and note that the PTE have removed the message about the system being under development. Does this mean they are now working as intended showing the minutes until the next tram accurately (with the odd default to timetable) or have the PTE simply given up?

I have just returned from 2 month away and note that the PTE have removed the message about the system being under development. Does this mean they are now working as intended showing the minutes until the next tram accurately (with the odd default to timetable) or have the PTE simply given up?

I can certainly confirm that they're still not working properly - I arrived at Granville Rd at 16:17 today aiming to catch the 16:21 tram towards Herdings. The display indicated "9 mins" (hence running 5 mins late, no surprises there), counted down to "8 mins" then up to "10 mins" at 16:19. At 16:20 it changed to "1 min" then to "Due" at 16:21, which was displayed until 16:23 at which point the information for that tram disappeared altogether.

The tram eventually arrived at 16:28 - 7 minutes late. By the time it got to the next stop (Park Grange Croft) the display at that location was indicating "1 min" as the tram departed.

On the basis of this, I think your second idea that the PTE have simply given up is the most likely position!

Got to agree with the post above . Most of the time they just seem to follow the timetable

No doubt the PTE will try and claim that they are working when they show the timetabled arrival time but that is ridiculous as we can look at the posters which will be just as accurate. When they show the timetable time it simply means we have no idea when or where the next tram is.

I have some sympathy with the fluctuating minutes (above) given the tram may well have been stuck in traffic and it would have suggested it was working but then why did it change between minutes and timetable? clearly then on that experience the thing is not working.

I wonder with new trams and new infrastructure if the dot matrix will work on the new Rotherham section when (if) it opens assuming of course they install them

Can not believe that before the accident that the dot matrix along the tram part do not show the new tram train service at all.

Even worse the brand new dot matrix at Rotherham parkway was

"1st Arrival: from Cathedral" ... (no time given for when it would arrive)

The next train finishes its journey here please do not get on this train. This train is the Stagecoach Supertram from cathedral"

This was still showing when the tram departed

i have been banned from complaining to the director of the PTE as he does not care about the dot matrix showing wrong information because "sometimes it is right" when I got back to Middlewood the dot having been on the crashed tram about an hour after the crash yes the dot matrix made no mention of the crash and disruption and showed the trams as all going to Meadowhall

One day the PTE might just see things from the consumer perspective

Edited by amnicoll
double post merge

Went for a tram this morning and looked at the screen for the time of the next tram

I could not believe it when it displayed "Please refer to Saturday timetables for Today"

Just wonder why they could not display the times for Saturday or would that have been too complicated!!!

Sheffield is little out of date, that's what I like about Sheffield. 

A testimony to the gross incompetence of the PTE buying a system that is unfit for purpose, still better than putting fiction that is often still displayed when they do show the times.

On Thursday morning (27/12) the electronic display boards were displaying the usual weekday timetabled times - despite the Saturday timetable being in operation.  They'd publicised the running to the Saturday timetable on their twitter page & they'd also put notices in the display cases at the stops, but they obviously couldn't be bothered to update the signs.

A lot of public money's been spent on the electronic boards but when they can't even be bothered to make such  a fundamental  update to the information, it seems pretty hopeless.