35bn trident costs..what a waste of money

2 minutes ago, andysm said:

100% nonsense. Where did you read this rubbish, Russia Today or Sputnik News?

I'm intrigued as to why you think it is rubbish?

9 minutes ago, apelike said:

I'm intrigued as to why you think it is rubbish?

The Russian jets did not disable the Donald Cook.  

Edited by Arnold_Lane

6 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

The Russian jets did not disable the Donald Cook.  

Thank you as it is the first time I have heard of it and had not realised it was that sort of attack despite it saying a couple of Sukhoi-24's... Must pay more attention! :hihi: 

9 hours ago, L00b said:

That interview of a Trident sub captain offers a contrary opinion, from someone who's been there and got the t-shirt, which explains ins and outs of the launch decision-making process (which is a political decision first, that is then validated and implemented by the boys in blue or khakis).

I'll take that opinion as carrying much more weight and authority than yours, until and unless you can offer some form of evidence supporting your opinion, which trumps that of a Trident sub captain.

Additionally there are at least 2 documented instances of military officers refusing to launch nuclear missles when protocols dictated that they should have done, one covered in the documentary "The Man Who Saved the World [2014]" covering how Stanislav Petrov stood aganst protocols and the other officers present who were pressing for him to launch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Saved_the_World

The Man Who Saved the World is a 2013 feature-length Danish documentary film by film maker Peter Anthony about Stanislav Petrov, a former lieutenant colonel of the Soviet Air Defence Forces and his role in preventing the 1983 Soviet nuclear false alarm incident from leading to nuclear holocaust.

And very lucky for us all that he did refuse to launch, as, if he had, our world would not exist.

So, just because one, maybe two, Russian submarine captains (and maybe a rogue British sub officer - who knows?) refused to press the nuclear launch button, why does that make it unlikely that present day British captains of nuclear submarines would do the same thing? And since they are selected for the job they now do, what connection is there with young people in general (who haven't been selected or trained for launching British nuclear weapons)? 

Edited by woolyhead

2 hours ago, woolyhead said:

So, just because one, maybe two, Russian submarine captains (and maybe a rogue British sub officer - who knows?) refused to press the nuclear launch button, why does that make it unlikely that present day British captains of nuclear submarines would do the same thing? And since they are selected for the job they now do, what connection is there with young people in general (who haven't been selected or trained for launching British nuclear weapons)? 

I can make no sense of what you're asking above.

But previously you seemed to be arguing that military trained personel would always launch nuclear missiles when orders or protocols demand?  The existence of 2 solid instances of military trained personel not launching the missles when orders/protocol demanded, disproves that generalisation.

Hi Onewheeldave. What I'm asking was contained in my post. Here it is again.....why does that make it unlikely that present day British captains of nuclear submarines would do the same thing? 

Edited by woolyhead

36 minutes ago, woolyhead said:

Hi Onewheeldave. What I'm asking was contained in my post. Here it is again.....why does that make it unlikely that present day British captains of nuclear submarines would do the same thing? 

It doesn't, if anything it makes it somewhat likely that at least some of them would also refuse to launch the missiles, given that equivalent officers elsewhere have refused to launch them.

2 hours ago, woolyhead said:

They probably would do the same thing and question it. I'd bet there are more cheques and balances firing nuclear weapons now than there was in the 80s.