Southey Green School

Anyone remember the Head teacher Mrs Pattinson or Pattison from the mid 60s? It was my first year and I fondly remember her ranting up and down the front row of assembly, where we had to sit cross legged on the floor, making us sing "All things bright and beautiful" as she slapped kids around the head at random! She used us as a sort of Xylophone and I remember each kid wailing after his or her slap.

Of course, the more kids she slapped, the more cried, and the less singing there was, and that only made her rant around faster and slap more and more kids.

I was 4th row back so I was out of range, but I made damn sure that I didnt get the first two front rows after that.

yes mate, i remember patto well,in fact,she only died recently,musta been in her 90,s,she was always ok with me,the one exception being when julie knight was on the verge of fainting in assembley,stood between mark beyer and myself,patto waded in,knocking mark and me flying,then came into miss tews class later to reprimand us both. do you remember miss hill from the infants??? i remember miss saint,miss turner,mrs worrall,mrs mcgrath,miss tew,mr rann,mr senior,mr roebuck,mr gower,lupton,gillard,prichard,cummings,miss selby,mr pattison,miss griffin,mr drake,miss long,miss messer,who for some religious reason never came to assembly,mrs carney,mrs sykes(cyclops), fred briggs the caretaker,mr powdrill before him,mrs rodley,mrs mortimer(dinner ladies),mrs pagdin,however,i cant recall the teachers name who was the 3rd year teacher in the infants,nor mrs saints maiden name,its old age you know!!!!

God theres some memories there! I remember Mark Beyer and Miss Tew, didnt she always wobble about the place for some reason?

I remember the other teachers, especially Mrs Cummings- she was brilliant as was Mr Gillard and miss selby- didnt she marry a teacher I despised? a bloke also patterson? He was a bully and a half. Mrs Messer was Jewish and never had a christmas tree up in her class, she told me once that she and her family had escaped from Nazi Germany.

Do you remember Mr Shufflebotham? He had one of the wooden sheds with the model airplanes hanging form the cielings if I remember rightly.

I remember Gillard too, he was the last teacher I had before I left to go to chaucer, I remember his nose bleeding every day, Im sure he used to pick the bugger when no one was looking.

Mr Drake, I remember falling and breaking my arm and no one believing it was broken and Drakey grabbed it and gave it a twist to prove it wasnt broken. The look on his face the next day when I went in with a plaster cast on my arm, I thought he was going to die :D

Trying to remember mrs saints maiden name... god I remember when she got married- we all put pennies together to buy her something and the teachers joined in and got her a silver gravy pot thing.

Im buggered if I can remember her maiden name though, thats gonna drive me mad now.

God theres some memories there! I remember Mark Beyer and Miss Tew, didnt she always wobble about the place for some reason?

I remember the other teachers, especially Mrs Cummings- she was brilliant as was Mr Gillard and miss selby- didnt she marry a teacher I despised? a bloke also patterson? He was a bully and a half. Mrs Messer was Jewish and never had a christmas tree up in her class, she told me once that she and her family had escaped from Nazi Germany.

Do you remember Mr Shufflebotham? He had one of the wooden sheds with the model airplanes hanging form the cielings if I remember rightly.

I remember Gillard too, he was the last teacher I had before I left to go to chaucer, I remember his nose bleeding every day, Im sure he used to pick the bugger when no one was looking.

Mr Drake, I remember falling and breaking my arm and no one believing it was broken and Drakey grabbed it and gave it a twist to prove it wasnt broken. The look on his face the next day when I went in with a plaster cast on my arm, I thought he was going to die :D

Trying to remember mrs saints maiden name... god I remember when she got married- we all put pennies together to buy her something and the teachers joined in and got her a silver gravy pot thing.

Im buggered if I can remember her maiden name though, thats gonna drive me mad now.

right again re:- miss selby,she married bully boy patterson,my once swung me round and bounced me down on the stage,a friday afternoon it was,my mother went up,but he had took a class to the skates,anyway,she got him monday morning,as he grabbed me coming into school,uttering the immortal words"I want a word with you!"

my mother grabbed his arm and shouted"YES,and i want a word with YOU! Are YOU this PATTERSON???" then proceeded to humiliate him in front of his very amused class. I remember old shufflebotham and his wife,she took cookery,they were geordies.I always thought messer was a jehovas witness,but the jew thing would fit better,and thinking about it,i would say your right..funny aint it,we used to pass each other in the street,never exchanging a hiya,but spend ages on here reminiscing.

Patterson once dragged me around the classroom by the hair, smashing my head into the desks and cupboards as he went, all because I didnt draw a perfectly straight margin up the side of the page one day. My insane brother in law, you might know him Norman Knight offered to go up to the school and tan his hide for me but my mother wouldnt let him go.

I saw Patterson outside the peace gardens years later when I was 18, I was staggering from one boozer to another and he was standing watching the xmas lights.

The bloke was hard as nails with an eleven year old, but not so hard when a drunken, foaming at the gob 18 year old popped up and tried to bite his face off :D

Its bloody annoying, all those years hardly talking to anyone from the cross because I was so busy, and now I buggered off out of Sheffield there are bloody hundreds Id like to sit and chat to over a pint or 30.

i know,im in the same situation,so old normans your brother in law eh?? i put him sum tats on years ago.

Yeah hes my bro in law, I havent seen the bugger for years but I heared that hes in dock having a heart op, my sis phoned me last night for the first time in a couple of years and told me.

I went to Southey Green School from 1957 - 1961. I remember some of the teachers Boris Cooper for one. Who was the science teacher at that time anyone remember. I used to hate Mrs Carr. Classmates were John Cooper, Peter Bradshaw, Arnold Lilley,

June Hutchinson, Vivienne Pearson. Can anyone remember any of them.

Used to live on Southey Hall Road.

I went to Southey Green School from 1957 - 1961. I remember some of the teachers Boris Cooper for one. Who was the science teacher at that time anyone remember. I used to hate Mrs Carr. Classmates were John Cooper, Peter Bradshaw, Arnold Lilley,

June Hutchinson, Vivienne Pearson. Can anyone remember any of them.

Used to live on Southey Hall Road.

did june live on buchanan in a 4 bedroomed house across from the shops??

No I think June lived on Southey Green Road, at the end near Longley Park

I went there in 1934 and left in 1938, years later i worked as a painter and decorator and the boss gave me the job of painting the railings. My 2 helpers were both retarded so the boss said, " start one at one end and the other at the other end so they don't start throwing paint at each other ". They couldn't be trusted to mash so I went to do it, when I got back they were both covered from head to foot in green paint laughing their heads off.

There used to be a garden in the middle where the teacher told me to keep my pet tortoise during school hours.

Anyone remember a kid called Melvyn Reynolds? He was at Southey in the mid 60s but flitted and I lost touch with him, I often wonder how his life turned out.