Southey Green School

Left in 1969, never seen anyone who I was at school with since, they must all be doing time.

I remember the french teachers name as Nortcliffe used to have the only classroom upstairs. The headteachers name I thought was Lupton, very tall guy or am I mistaking him with the junior school. Wally webster was our form teacher, also taught maths, great guy liked him a lot, was fond of uing the cane, his catchphrase which he was fond of using was "BY JINGO"[/b].

A few other teachers names I remember are Mrs. Gregory (geography?), Bishop(english?),Hukin who I believe only retired a couple of years ago as a head of another Sheffield school.

Do you remember the annual compulsary cross country run around the perimeter of Longley Park, there was no escape for anyone, even with a note from your mum.

Now they seem great days, so long ago, its a shame about the area around the school.

Great memories.

I hated that school with a passion.Miss Gregory was an evil witch:rant:

Anyone remember the Head teacher Mrs Pattinson or Pattison from the mid 60s? It was my first year and I fondly remember her ranting up and down the front row of assembly, where we had to sit cross legged on the floor, making us sing "All things bright and beautiful" as she slapped kids around the head at random! She used us as a sort of Xylophone and I remember each kid wailing after his or her slap.

Of course, the more kids she slapped, the more cried, and the less singing there was, and that only made her rant around faster and slap more and more kids.

I was 4th row back so I was out of range, but I made damn sure that I didnt get the first two front rows after that.

Yes I remember her.Come to think of it she looked like mrs Doubtfire.I had many a clout off her.:roll:

hi my dad went to southey school about that time John McCarthy does his name ring a bell? i am trying to get some pictures together from that time for his 60th next february. grateful for anything!!!

I know thw McCarthy's very well, especially Helen.

ukdobby , just thought i would let you know that i too went to southey green school and remember some of the same names as you. oh , and just to let you know, if you still live in rojales, i live in torre de la horadada , i don,t think it is far from you.

My place is still in Rojales,don't live there full time but plan to do in next coiple of years.What yars was you at Southey?

ukdobby, i was at sgh fron 1966 to 1970. i lived on dryden drive , i have three brothers, they went to shirecliffe though. their names are mick, andy and keith weldon. my friends were, diane battersby, maureen sarsons janet and christine wright.carol russell, i remember ricky thompson. pete stancill ,most of the ones that have been mentioned from my years, i remember, strage that, seeing as i can,t think what i did this morning. shaz.

ukdobby, i was at sgh fron 1966 to 1970. i lived on dryden drive , i have three brothers, they went to shirecliffe though. their names are mick, andy and keith weldon. my friends were, diane battersby, maureen sarsons janet and christine wright.carol russell, i remember ricky thompson. pete stancill ,most of the ones that have been mentioned from my years, i remember, strage that, seeing as i can,t think what i did this morning. shaz.

Keith rings a bell I lived on Southey Hill,O'Briens,knew Dave Battersby and Raymond wright akna Snot gobbler phew.I left Southey 1970.

I went to Southey 1963-1967 and my favourite teacher was Mr Bishop, he taught English and had a gentle wit. One poem I remember from him is:

I eat my peas with honey,

I've done it all my life,

It makes the peas taste funny,

But it keeps them on the knife.

I think Mr Bishop was involved in writing a parody on John Masefield's 'Cargos' poem which was all about the area and I would love to know the words. It was about something chugging past the Magnet. Does anyone else remember?

Edited by Tupotoffy

I remeber vaguely something like that, but I think it was 'Sea Fever.' Mr Bishop was a lovely man , rare in those days when teachers were allowed to smack.

Heres a comical poem that the late great Mr Bishop would recite.

Broad is the gate, and wide the path that leads man to his daily bath

But ere you spend that shining hour with plunge and spray, with sluice and shower

Be careful wheresoe'er you be ...

To close the door and turn the key.

I had a friend ... a friend no more

Who failed to bolt the bathroom door.

A maiden Aunt of his, one day

Walked in - as half submerged he lay.

She did not notice nephew John, and turned the boiling water on.

He had no time - nor even scope to camouflage himself with soap

But gave a cry, and flung aside

The sponge, 'neath which he sought to hide.

It fell to earth, I know not where: He beat his breast in his despair -

And then - like Venus from the foam

Sprang into view and made for 'home'.

His Aunt fell fainting to the ground.

Alas we never brought her round,

She died - intestate - in her prime, the victim of another's crime.

And John can NEVER quite forget,

How, by a breach of 'etiquette' - he lost at one fell swoop (or plunge) ...

His Aunt, his honour ... and his sponge!

I went to Southey 1963-1967 and my favourite teacher was Mr Bishop, he taught English and had a gentle wit. One poem I remember from him is:

I eat my peas with honey,

I've done it all my life,

It makes the peas taste funny,

But it keeps them on the knife.

I think Mr Mason was involved in writing a parody on John Masefield's 'Cargos' poem which was all about the area and I would love to know the words. It was about something chugging past the Magnet. Does anyone else remember?

I remember Mr Bishop he was a lovely man. Remember him saying how the poet Percy Shelley's middle name was Bish (Bysshe) and joked he was named after him. I remember we recited Cargoes at a parents evening once

I remember Mr Bishop he was a lovely man. Remember him saying how the poet Percy Shelley's middle name was Bish (Bysshe) and joked he was named after him. I remember we recited Cargos at a parents evening once

Yes, you must be around the same age as me. We did recite the original Cargoes poem, then we did Mr Bishops version which was a very funny pun on the original mentioning all the landmarks around the school. We also recited Dick Turpin at one open evening. Mr Nortcliffe had us singing the French National Anthem, which took a long time to learn, then proceeded to tell the audience that we did not know what it was all about. Talk about being shot down.

Edited by Tupotoffy