Southey Green School

I went to Southey 1963-1967 and my favourite teacher was Mr Bishop, he taught English and had a gentle wit. One poem I remember from him is:

I eat my peas with honey,

I've done it all my life,

It makes the peas taste funny,

But it keeps them on the knife.

I think Mr Bishop was involved in writing a parody on John Masefield's 'Cargos' poem which was all about the area and I would love to know the words. It was about something chugging past the Magnet. Does anyone else remember?

Yes, that was our dad! Paul Henry Bishop, PHB, first teaching at Prince Edwards, then Southey Green and Earl Marshall, and maybe somewhere else in the early days. He was a genuinely good man, a family man, and he had time for anyone, so it's nice to hear him being fondly remembered.

He was born and grew up in Sheffield, went to King Teds, and joined the Navy for WWII. He had his mother's knack for English Language, German, French, Dutch, Italian and some Danish. Oh and of course Latin. In 1946/47 because of his languages, having left the Navy, he was asked to join the Allied Commission in Austria to help repatriate all the Jews and other displaced persons from the concentration camps back to their native countries. Many of the people he came across, Danish, German, and Austrian in particular, became lifelong friends, and because he loved collecting stamps, his contact group widened incredibly. Then he was an interpreter for foreign competitors at the 1948 Olympic Games in London. After that he took a short course in general teaching at Sheffield Teacher Training College, and started his next career!

He was teaching at Prince Edwards when Dorothy Branch was brought into his room by the Headteacher, to be introduced to her as "This is Paul Bishop, He'll be working in the room opposite yours." They were married by the following summer. Dad then worked at Southey Green and eventually Earl Marshall School before retiring, when he developed his life-long hobby of stamp collecting into a business. For years he had been involved in running the School Library Association, the Sheffield Family History Society and the Philatelic Association, and he continued with the latter two. He was always a busy man, but would stop and talk to anyone, often making yet another 'friend for life'...I remember a Kurdish man, a pianist who'd been in Auschwitz, an American and an Iraqi who went to University in the 60's with him when he did his English degree, and so many others. He wrote to them all for years. You wouldn't believe how many Christmas cards we used to get! When he died in '93 aged 69, he left a gaping hole in our lives so it's lovely to find him mentioned on this forum. :)

---------- Post added 09-11-2015 at 10:13 ----------

Heres a comical poem that the late great Mr Bishop would recite.

Broad is the gate, and wide the path that leads man to his daily bath

But ere you spend that shining hour with plunge and spray, with sluice and shower

Be careful wheresoe'er you be ...

To close the door and turn the key.

I had a friend ... a friend no more

Who failed to bolt the bathroom door.

A maiden Aunt of his, one day

Walked in - as half submerged he lay.

She did not notice nephew John, and turned the boiling water on.

He had no time - nor even scope to camouflage himself with soap

But gave a cry, and flung aside

The sponge, 'neath which he sought to hide.

It fell to earth, I know not where: He beat his breast in his despair -

And then - like Venus from the foam

Sprang into view and made for 'home'.

His Aunt fell fainting to the ground.

Alas we never brought her round,

She died - intestate - in her prime, the victim of another's crime.

And John can NEVER quite forget,

How, by a breach of 'etiquette' - he lost at one fell swoop (or plunge) ...

His Aunt, his honour ... and his sponge!

Yes, that was our dad! Paul Henry Bishop, PHB, first teaching at Prince Edwards, then Southey Green and Earl Marshall, and maybe somewhere else in the early days. He was a genuinely good man, a family man, and he had time for anyone, so it's nice to hear him being fondly remembered.

He was born and grew up in Sheffield, went to King Teds, and joined the Navy for WWII. He had his mother's knack for English Language, German, French, Dutch, Italian and some Danish. Oh and of course Latin. In 1946/47 because of his languages, having left the Navy, he was asked to join the Allied Commission in Austria to help repatriate all the Jews and other displaced persons from the concentration camps back to their native countries. Many of the people he came across, Danish, German, and Austrian in particular, became lifelong friends, and because he loved collecting stamps, his contact group widened incredibly. Then he was an interpreter for foreign competitors at the 1948 Olympic Games in London. After that he took a short course in general teaching at Sheffield Teacher Training College, and started his next career!

He was teaching at Prince Edwards when Dorothy Branch was brought into his room by the Headteacher, to be introduced to her as "This is Paul Bishop, He'll be working in the room opposite yours." They were married by the following summer. Dad then worked at Southey Green and eventually Earl Marshall School before retiring, when he developed his life-long hobby of stamp collecting into a business. For years he had been involved in running the School Library Association, the Sheffield Family History Society and the Philatelic Association, and he continued with the latter two. He was always a busy man, but would stop and talk to anyone, often making yet another 'friend for life'...I remember a Kurdish man, a pianist who'd been in Auschwitz, an American and an Iraqi who went to University in the 60's with him when he did his English degree, and so many others. He wrote to them all for years. You wouldn't believe how many Christmas cards we used to get! When he died in '93 aged 69, he left a gaping hole in our lives so it's lovely to find him mentioned on this forum.

---------- Post added 09-11-2015 at 10:14 ----------

I remember Mr Bishop he was a lovely man. Remember him saying how the poet Percy Shelley's middle name was Bish (Bysshe) and joked he was named after him. I remember we recited Cargoes at a parents evening once

He was teaching at Prince Edwards when Dorothy Branch was brought into his room by the Headteacher, to be introduced to her as "This is Paul Bishop, He'll be working in the room opposite yours." They were married by the following summer. Dad then worked at Southey Green and eventually Earl Marshall School before retiring, when he developed his life-long hobby of stamp collecting into a business. For years he had been involved in running the School Library Association, the Sheffield Family History Society and the Philatelic Association, and he continued with the latter two. He was always a busy man, but would stop and talk to anyone, often making yet another 'friend for life'...I remember a Kurdish man, a pianist who'd been in Auschwitz, an American and an Iraqi who went to University in the 60's with him when he did his English degree, and so many others. He wrote to them all for years. You wouldn't believe how many Christmas cards we used to get! When he died in '93 aged 69, he left a gaping hole in our lives so it's lovely to find him mentioned on this forum.

Edited by studioman

Hello studioman,I have fond memories of your dad,he was the only teacher I actually liked,I hated the rest.I can remember taking him to the place I found a plant fossil and taking it to the museum.He was a nice bloke and good teacher,I can't think of any occasion he lost his temper or clipped anyone.

Recognise Mrs Carr Mr Senior Mr Gowers and Mr Kay ..good memories..

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/sydneyozz/thumbImage.jpg

Remember Derek Hedley centre right tall chap, football teacher also top area tennis player,

played Longley Park and Hillsborough Park.

Hugh Green woodwork back right nice quiet chap.

Mr Hazel technical drawing .

Mr Kay headmaster front centre.

Mr Gowers.

(Billy) Bownes.

Boris Cooper horrible science teacher. Next to Mr Kay.

Mr Smith back centre.comic.

Edited by Southey owl

I was not at Southey, but my dad Paul Bishop taught there. I remember all those names, was Miss Marshall there too? And was 'Hugh' Green actually Ernie Green (EJG) who went on to King Ted's as a Woodwork & Tech drawing teacher? If so, he was a really nice gentle, quiet bloke with a southern twang to his voice, who saw me through school and into my 39yr career as a Design Technology teacher. I know he passed away some years ago if it's the same guy, and I think it might well have been.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/sydneyozz/thumbImage.jpg

Remember Derek Hedley centre right tall chap, football teacher also top area tennis player,

played Longley Park and Hillsborough Park.

Hugh Green woodwork back right nice quiet chap.

Mr Hazel technical drawing .

Mr Kay headmaster front centre.

Mr Gowers.

(Billy) Bownes.

Boris Cooper horrible science teacher. Next to Mr Kay.

Mr Smith back centre.comic.

I remember Headley pal,miss tew,mrs Patterson,nortcliffe and Lupton,memories not what it was but there was a younger sports teacher with headley,hate to say it but think they called him mr blades.

I remember Headley pal,miss tew,mrs Patterson,nortcliffe and Lupton,memories not what it was but there was a younger sports teacher with headley,hate to say it but think they called him mr blades.

It was hazelwood,he was a short bloke and as nasty as the bully headley,mr blades was the games master at firth park,he was a decent bloke unlike the other two.

Remember dentist " butcher" Magee corner Crowder /Southey Hill up from the shops right side.

Dr Donnelly opposite Magee Southey Hill up from shops left side.

Anyone remember Bramalls' opposite St Bernards church ? About 27/29 Southey Hill.

Mrs Bramall made toffee apples bonfire night , did a roaring trade.

Mr and Mrs "B" had 2 sons, eldest Jack played football Southey Green school /Sheffield boys.

Jack was a defender,left back he was tall ,towered above boys of his age well over 6 ft.

Signed for Wednesday ,didn't make first team, played many Central Lge games.

Eventually went on to play for Ecclesfield Black Bull, might have played for Angel Grenoside.

Edited by Southey owl

Yes Mr Bishop was a wonderful teacher......one of the only ones I liked, oh and probably Mr Nortcliffe. Never knew what an interesting life Mr Bishop had!

I left Lindsey Road School in 1957 to go to Southey Green. left in 1962. Teachers I remember are:

Mr (pop) Kay. Mr Cooper (Boris . Science) Miss Marshall (Art. My first teacher at Southey). Mrs Carr ( History I think), Miss Waight (music) Mr Hedley (sport) Mr Cawthorne (metal work) Mr Green (woodwork) cannot remember teachers name who taught domestic science to girls. But she was tall and had very sharp features. Cannot recall Mr Bishop but name rings a bell. Mrs Rowley (my last teacher 4B). During my last year there I was the milk monitor.

Remember dentist " butcher" Magee corner Crowder /Southey Hill up from the shops right side.

Dr Donnelly opposite Magee Southey Hill up from shops left side.

Anyone remember Bramalls' opposite St Bernards church ? About 27/29 Southey Hill.

Mrs Bramall made toffee apples bonfire night , did a roaring trade.

Mr and Mrs "B" had 2 sons, eldest Jack played football Southey Green school /Sheffield boys.

Jack was a defender,left back he was tall ,towered above boys of his age well over 6 ft.

Signed for Wednesday ,didn't make first team, played many Central Lge games.

Eventually went on to play for Ecclesfield Black Bull, might have played for Angel Grenoside.

I was born and bred at number 17 pal,bang across from Macgee and 3 doors up from Donnellys,neighbours were Dodds and Rumbelows,can't remember Bramalls,know Taylors were at 23 and fat Ken at no 25.

The name Rumbelow is familiar, I knew of a Barry Rumbelow , big family but can't put

a face to him.Seem to think they moved off Longley estate.