Southey Green School

I went to Southey Green school but I think much earlier than you, 1935 -39'

Incidently I used to live in Benalmadena, Costa Del Sol where abouts is your place. I wish I was back in Spain instead of Florida.

50k south of Alicante,Florida ok,mind you sat on front this am with dog,shorts and a t shirt on.

50k south of Alicante,Florida ok,mind you sat on front this am with dog,shorts and a t shirt on.

Yes I know where you are, I lived on a boat in the Med. for 11 years and wintered in a marina in Mar Menor and used to drive from there to Granada via Murcia then down to Benelmadena. Is it still cheap living there ?

Yes I know where you are, I lived on a boat in the Med. for 11 years and wintered in a marina in Mar Menor and used to drive from there to Granada via Murcia then down to Benelmadena. Is it still cheap living there ?

Not as cheap as it was but manageable.Going down to Granada onWednesday.

Do you mean "Jacksons Playground" across the road from St. Leonards Church?

-----------------------------------

I didn't know that playground had a name. The swings were fun.

Earlier on probably on a piece of land next to it were one (or two)

prefab buildings & the British Legion used to hold dances there.

Does anyone else remember that ?

Sue

=================================

I remember Hedley very well. In my class there was a lad called Wilde. When we were in P.E, if we were making a noise, Hedley would shout out loud, WILDE, Wilde would reply yes sir, back would come, "so am I, line up down the middle. Out would come the slipper. No matter where you were in the line it stung. John Brown was in my class big bully. Terry Benson another bully was in the annexe. I started Southey in 57 left Easter 61. In my last year I was the milk monitor. Used to count all the milk. Then put the bottles in the milk trays, ready for the classrooms.

---------- Post added 11-11-2013 at 20:53 ----------

Hey Vanner. Just been reading through some of the posts in here. You say you were upstairs in your last year at Southey. I was also upstairs in 1961, 4B Miss/Mrs Rowleys class. Maybe we were in the same class.

Not as cheap as it was but manageable.Going down to Granada onWednesday.

Shall we start a thread about Spain. I feel more home sick for Spain than I do for the U.K.

---------- Post added 12-11-2013 at 16:39 ----------

When I went to Southey Green school it consisted of a group of classrooms round a small garden. One of the staff grew veggies and stuff and when the wether permitted we went and picked spuds and stuff.When King George died in 1936 we all got a pen knife or was it for the coronation.

I know this is an old thread, and it may be that nobody is interested in it any more.

I attended Southey Green (I think it was called Southey Green High School at the time). I went there when the secondary school at Meynell Road closed. It must have been about 61 or 62. I left in 1967. I remember Mr Lupton the head. Does anyone remember Stephen Hawk (Hawkeye), Dion Fothergill (I think he went to Australia), or was that Stephen Powell; its a long time ago. Does anyone also remember Ian Benson or Tony Dunwell.

Hi JEB1 Dion Fothergill you mentioned was my brother (My name is Edward Fothergill)

Unfortunately Dion passed away in Canada in 2000. We used to live in Deerlands Ave.

Dion moved to Blackpool with mum around 1970 he met and married a girl from Blackpool. They moved to Canada around 74/75. I left southey Green in 1961. My teacher was Mrs Rowley

Hello Blackhill

This is sad news. Dion was a friend of mine at school we were in the same class for a couple of years.

I hope he did OK for himself. Did he have a family? I don't remember Mrs Rowley. I seem to remember Mr Nortcliffe (the french teacher) got married to Miss Roebuck.

I went passed the old school a couple of years ago. It looks a lot smaller than it did to me when I was a boy. It does look run down now, what a shame it was a very good school considering it wasn't a grammar school.

Dion had two children boy and girl. His wife came back to Blackpool with the children. Dion stayed in Canada. They divorced. He got married again. Dion worked on the production line at Ford Motor Company up until he passed away with cancer. He played the guitar (self taught) and wrote a few songs, they were never published. I have all his songs and music. Although he wasn't a brilliant singer he got by.

I know this is an old thread, and it may be that nobody is interested in it any more.

I attended Southey Green (I think it was called Southey Green High School at the time). I went there when the secondary school at Meynell Road closed. It must have been about 61 or 62. I left in 1967. I remember Mr Lupton the head. Does anyone remember Stephen Hawk (Hawkeye), Dion Fothergill (I think he went to Australia), or was that Stephen Powell; its a long time ago. Does anyone also remember Ian Benson or Tony Dunwell.

I knew Hawkeye. I was in the same class as his sister, Diane, I also know Tony Dunwell, lived in Adlington road. Some Benson s lived over the gardens from us,Terry ,Kath,Tony and Michael.

I knew Hawkeye. I was in the same class as his sister, Diane, I also know Tony Dunwell, lived in Adlington road. Some Benson s lived over the gardens from us,Terry ,Kath,Tony and Michael.

Sure Mick was in my class,did they live on Launce.