Southey Green School

Ann betting on was in my class,her twin was John who went Firth Park Grammer.

Ann betting on was in my class,her twin was John who went Firth Park Grammer.

I got the names mixed up before. Anne and John bettison were the twins I used to play with as we all lived on Southey hill. I was about 5 or 6 yrs older than they were. It was Ann and graham Baxter I went to school with

I got the names mixed up before. Anne and John bettison were the twins I used to play with as we all lived on Southey hill. I was about 5 or 6 yrs older than they were. It was Ann and graham Baxter I went to school with

I also lived on Southey hill,no 17'went to FirthPark with John.

Remember the above lasses except Sue Martin,they were in my year but not class,Lesley Wilson,Pat Haywood,Christine Harrison and Ann Bettison were also the same year,as for lads Derek Siddons,Tony Marshal Paul Rumbelow and Trev Dawson,think I have the names right,it was a long time ago.

I know we have spoken before , we were at school at the same time , I live in torre de la horadada spain , and remember all these names . do you remember Maurice pass .

I know we have spoken before , we were at school at the same time , I live in torre de la horadada spain , and remember all these names . do you remember Maurice pass .

The name rings a bell,I live in Rojales just up the road from you.

Hi Sandra can't bring you to mind but that maybe an age thing ! It's a small world we live on the Westfield estate between Morrisons and Crystal Peaks. Been married for 44 yrs with 2 sons a daughter 5 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild all boys and yes they keep us on our toes!(love it) Iam going to do my utmost to find the pic of netball team and put names to faces. Do you remember Helga Barlow or Elaine Wilkinson Peter Garside or John Fox ? will be in touch if I get more info Kathrine
Elaine Wilkinson lived on Collinson,her and Kath Benson used to babysit for us as kids.

Hi Chrissy, I remember you. Do you remember when we went to Torquay on holiday ? I live in Loughborough now, left Sheffield in 1969 after getting married. Lived in Canada for quite a few years. Are you in touch with anyone from school ? Hope you and your family are well

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 18:10 ----------

Hi Alan, I do remember you. You used to sit at the front of the class with 'Titus' Oates and Michael Doughty. I'm Linda Morris (now Williams) I can remember Stewart Hopkins, June Hutchinson, Vivienne Pearson, Lewis Major, Michael Morris,but not many more. Are you still in Sheffield. I left in 1969 after getting married. Lived in Canada for quite a few years, now in Loughborough.

Would be good to hear from you.

hi Linda,the names i remember are christine atherton,christine wilde,john cooper and the ones you mentioned.i left the UK in july 1969 and emigrated to Australia on the £10 scheme.one marriage later and 9yrs later i returned to sunny sheffield.i now live in Chapeltown.

Hiya Linda.

Your name "Linda Morris" sounds familier

Was you in Mrs Rowleys class 4B in 1961. I was in her class left Easter 1961. My name is Edward Fothergill. Sat near the window with Len Powell, Fred Hird, Lawrence Wilde. also in the class was, Jean Godbehere, Margaret Harrison. Eileen Crookes, John Cooper, Gerald Cotton.

Hiya Linda.

Your name "Linda Morris" sounds familier

Was you in Mrs Rowleys class 4B in 1961. I was in her class left Easter 1961. My name is Edward Fothergill. Sat near the window with Len Powell, Fred Hird, Lawrence Wilde. also in the class was, Jean Godbehere, Margaret Harrison. Eileen Crookes, John Cooper, Gerald Cotton.

Hi, I recall two of those names. Len Powell. I`m not absolutely certain, but I think he lived i

on Southey green Rd. Just along from the gennel. On the first section off Elm Lane. I also remember Fred Hird. I`m pretty certain he lived behind Southey green school off Crowder Ave. An auntie of mine, by marriage, lived just past the school. And her mother, Mrs Billingham we called her, also lived nearby, on Northlands, or Norlands rd?

Hi Vanner. Yes Len Powell did live on Southey Green Road. His house was about halfway between Southey school and Longley park I think. Don't know wher fred Hird lived.

Did you go to Southey Green?

Hi Vanner. Yes Len Powell did live on Southey Green Road. His house was about halfway between Southey school and Longley park I think. Don't know wher fred Hird lived.

Did you go to Southey Green?

Yes. I think it would have been in 1957 I started. I was in the annexe in the grounds for the first couple of years at least. I remember Miss Tarpy? And Mr Gower definately. He used to have a selection of canes. If any boy got out of hand in Miss Tarpy`s class, then she would bring in Mr Gower to chastise them and restore order etc. There was a rumour that they were want to esconce themselves from time to time in the stationary cupboard, which was located between the classrooms. I know that she became engaged to a chap from South America. And went there to marry/settle.I don`t remember many from the annexe. Only one name springs to mind, David Scott? And that`s only because Miss Tarpy called on Mr Gower`s services. Young David received a caning. Some names come to mind. But not from any particular class I was in. Tony Robinson? He managed to get hold of a copy of Lady Chatterleys Lover. Terry Benson. John Brown, at the time something of a thug. Apologies if that`s you:roll:. Alan Markhall? Knocked around with him for a while. He went to work at the Omega Psalter Lane. Thence to America I believe. Mick Taylor, terrific lad. Unfortunately he was killed at age 17? when a van drove onto the pavement and ran him down. So I heard. The name David Kane comes to mind. Sometimes when people mention a name I do recall the person. As in the case of Len Powell. Do you remember Mr Hedley`s favourite trick? Line up all the lads in the yard, ask for quiet, after a minute or so of silence inevitably there would be mutterings etc. Of course Mr Hedley would pounce on this and ask the miscreant to come out to the front. That`s going to happen. Upshot being that all the lads in the yard had to line up in the gym, and he went down the lines slippering everyone.

I forgot to mention that I went to Longley Infant and Juniors as it used to be called in those days. We lived on Crowder Crescent. Then moved to Southey Hall Rd. So when I was due to go into the Senior school mum decided to get me into Southey Green Secondary as it was much closer. I was supposed to go to Shirecliffe.

Sorry if I`m rambling. Tend to do that now and again these days!

The name rings a bell,I live in Rojales just up the road from you.

I went to Southey Green school but I think much earlier than you, 1935 -39'

Incidently I used to live in Benalmadena, Costa Del Sol where abouts is your place. I wish I was back in Spain instead of Florida.