Southey Green School

Guest poppins
Originally posted by pietro

Whilst searching for some old photo's, I came across a book entitled

"A Home Of Our Own"

Longley and Southey Estates 60 yeas of Community Life.

This was published in 1988 by the Longley and Southey local history group and is a brief history of the area from the 1920's onwards.

Below are the last few paragraphs relating to Southey Green School which incidently opened in August 1931.

"Mr. Raymond Kay retired in 1964 after forty years service as a Sheffield teacher. Twenty of those years were spent as headmaster at Southey Green.

M. Lupton became the new headmaster and took over the responsibility of four hundred and seventy four pupils. By that date the school had become a High school and Mr.Webster, the deputy- head, organised a Youth Action Group for boys and girls in the fourth year, they performed an admirable servive for local penshioners by shopping, painting and gardening for them.

Plans were finally laid in 1966 to supply much needed dining room facilities, changing rooms and showers, which were finally completed in1968. Before then meals had to be taken in classrooms with plastic clothes laid across the desks.

As part of the curriculum, visits were made to outside establishments including Treeton colliery, British Steel Corporation, British Rail and police and fire stations.

By September 1969 children were given the opportunity of transferring to comprehensive school. In April 1970 only one hundred and forty six pupils remained on the school roll. In july the secondary Modern school closed and the staff were re-deployed.

The Middle school which had been formed in 1969 took over the existing Secondary school accommodation.

No doubt children still benefit from the sound beginnings and traditions of this fine school."

I whole heartedly agree with the last sentence

Pieto

Does the book have any photos in it ? can it still be bought ?

I went on many of the visits above, well it was an afternoon off school after all.

Guest poppins
Originally posted by poppins

Are there any photos of Southey Green in the book ? can it still be bought ?

The bus from town we use to catch sometimes said Southey Green Via Nether Edge, cannot remember nether edge, is it part of Southy Green ?

Poppins,

Nether Edge is on the south side of the city, it's where the No. 97 bus (Southey Green) started from.

The book "A Home of our Own" is out of print (my copy has found a new home in Australia). It has many photos of the area from the 1930's to 60's. There are quite a few of the old swimming pool when it was opened in the 30's by Derek Dooley.

There was also an earlier book titled "It Was All Fields Then" which covered the area of Southey and Longley before the estates where built, (I am still searching for a copy).

Your best source for photos of Southey and Longley is still:

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk

Guest poppins

Poppins,

Nether Edge is on the south side of the city, it's where the No. 97 bus (Southey Green) started from.

The book "A Home of our Own" is out of print (my copy has found a new home in Australia). It has many photos of the area from the 1930's to 60's. There are quite a few of the old swimming pool when it was opened in the 30's by Derek Dooley.

There was also an earlier book titled "It Was All Fields Then" which covered the area of Southey and Longley before the estates where built, (I am still searching for a copy).

Your best source for photos of Southey and Longley is still:

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk

Thank you so much Pietro, all very interesting.

There are quite a few of the old swimming pool when it was opened in the 30's by Derek Dooley.

Are you sure you don't mean the 50s or 60s? Derek Dooley was born in 1929, so he would have been nobbut a nipper in the 30s.

mojoworking says: Are you sure you don't mean the 50s or 60s? Derek Dooley was born in 1929, so he would have been nobbut a nipper in the 30s.

I'm hoping to see a copy of the book later today, I will check it out.

I attended the Junior School at Southey 1955-61

I am struggling to remember the teachers at that time.

I lived on North Hill Road .

Great playground and grassed area - ideal for footy as I recall.

Anyone out there with a better memory ?

Chris M says; I am struggling to remember the teachers at that time.

Chris, Do any of these ring a bell.

Miss E.M Smith (retired 1964)

Mrs. Pattinson (Headteacher)

Miss Tew, Miss Gregory, Miss Mc Grath.

Mr Knowles, Mr Roebuck, Mr Senior, Mr Ellaby, Mr Shufflebottom.

All junior staff I believe.

mojoworking says: Are you sure you don't mean the 50s or 60s? Derek Dooley was born in 1929, so he would have been nobbut a nipper in the 30s.

You're absolutely right mojo. checked the book, got my dates mixed up.

Longley open air pool was opened 2 September 1938. Mrs Dooley would'nt let young Derek have the day off school, so it fell to the local doctor, his wife and others to perform the opening.

In the book there's a photo of D. Dooley (1950's), competing in a water polo match between Wednesday and United. (score unknown)

Thanks Pietro

Pattison,Tew,Roebuck and Senior all now come to mind.

Senior - he was the sums teacher.

I also recall that a handbell was rung at the end of dinnertimes

and "playtime".

I'm hoping to see a copy of the book later today, I will check it out.

Did you manage to get a copy of the book, I'd be interested to.

Cycleracer

Borrowd the two books I mentioned from Sheffield Libraries on Monday, I will be returning them to Southey library at the end of the week if your interested.

Chris M

I can't remember who taught what to be honest. I found the names going through Sheffield Archives a few weeks ago. Can you remember when you where in the juniors, the seniors (boys) doing cross country running on the roof of the school with the P.E teacher.