FAO Voters - Why do you vote?

What has your vote actually achieved? In which ways has your vote ever made a difference, or think it will? Why do you voters keep voting and expect different results? How exactly has your vote ever made a difference in how this country is run?

I have never voted for anyone that got elected, maybe one day soon.

Exactly what differences do you think it would have made if the party you voted for was elected?

Do you not think abstaining, not registering to vote is as powerful, if not more a democratic statement as any vote could be?

Exactly what differences do you think it would have made if the party you voted for was elected?

Do you not think abstaining, not registering to vote is as powerful, if not more a democratic statement as any vote could be?

It has crossed my mind not to vote, but change will come from the smaller parties. It almost happened with the Lib Dems and PR, but Nick Clegg was tricked into accepting a vote on AV.

Aquaducts, sanitation, roads, education, etc.

I vote for one very simple reason, because I have the chance to, people all over the world have died just to get the chance we take for granted.

Normally, my voting slip (whatever it's called) ends up straight in the black wheelie bin, along with all of the unsolicited mail and other rubbish.

This year though, a friend has bagged my voting slip so she can go to a polling station and deface it, along with others she's collecting. Personally, I don't care one way or the other ... no way will I have anything to do with supporting a load of self-aggrandizing psychopaths, whatever their political denomination, in their pathetic efforts to go down in the history books as 'Not-dead-dead'.

Watching (very briefly) a load of 'politicians' the other night on telly, on a stage set reminiscent of a cross between Jeremy Kyle, Big Brother and Pointless (very apt, I thought), did nothing apart from reinforce my well thought out views.

I've never questioned why I vote, I suppose I see it as my civic duty....I think that there are a lot of people in countries who have fought and died for the right to vote.

I vote for one very simple reason, because I have the chance to, people all over the world have died just to get the chance we take for granted.

You and I have the choice to do or not to do other things, that doesn't mean we should.

People have also died so we have the right NOT to vote, in any democracy you have the right to abstain.

---------- Post added 06-04-2015 at 00:21 ----------

I've never questioned why I vote, I suppose I see it as my civic duty....I think that there are a lot of people in countries who have fought and died for the right to vote.

You see it as your civic duty to vote in warmongers, psychopaths, paedophiles, powerful corporations, further enslavement, more taxes, less freedoms, more privacy invasion and state control freakery, it is about time you did question why you vote.

---------- Post added 06-04-2015 at 00:23 ----------

Normally, my voting slip (whatever it's called) ends up straight in the black wheelie bin, along with all of the unsolicited mail and other rubbish.

This year though, a friend has bagged my voting slip so she can go to a polling station and deface it, along with others she's collecting. Personally, I don't care one way or the other ... no way will I have anything to do with supporting a load of self-aggrandizing psychopaths, whatever their political denomination, in their pathetic efforts to go down in the history books as 'Not-dead-dead'.

Watching (very briefly) a load of 'politicians' the other night on telly, on a stage set reminiscent of a cross between Jeremy Kyle, Big Brother and Pointless (very apt, I thought), did nothing apart from reinforce my well thought out views.

I don't pay council tax so not registered to vote, but my friend in Sharrow swaps his voting card for a kebab and chips at a takeaway on London Road.

And great post, any vote, is not a vote for this party or the other. It is a vote for the system. We all need to STOP voting and remove the legitimacy of this rigged system. Then we can change it.

Edited by gwhite78

I vote for the same reason.

No. It just means you, along with about a third of other voters, can be ignored.

YOU make it easier for politicians to carry on doi what they want.

Already more people don't vote than those who vote for the biggest party - this hasn't helped at all. If you choose to give up your vote, you can't complain you are not being listened to.

If you choose to give up your vote, you can't complain you are not being listened to.

Yes you can