Rats in garden in chicken run

Has anyone got a method to get rid of rats in my garden we have a river nearby I cannot use poison I have a cat and a dog I have chickens

Thanks

There is a poison that is CAT, DOG and bird safe.

It only works on rats, it works by clogging the digestive system of a rat. Other animals including owls that eat rats are not affected.

Will try and find details . I also found the electronic, electrocution traps very effective

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/EradiBait_Rat_Mouse_Poison.html

Those type of poisons work by dehydrating the rat.

Sounds like there is some food nearby that the rats are eating. If you use weld mesh rats can't get into the chicken run. Weld mesh is fox proof.

Simple get rid of your chickens ,but you will always have rats near rivers and chickens , I had over 25 chickens on my allotment and was infested with rats

So got shut and now I'm rat free ,,, try a simple rat trap but peg the trap down

Good luck

Simple get rid of your chickens ,but you will always have rats near rivers and chickens , I had over 25 chickens on my allotment and was infested with rats

So got shut and now I'm rat free ,,, try a simple rat trap but peg the trap down

Good luck

Don't fool yourself; there are rats almost everywhere. There will still be rats living near the allotments.

Rats are attracted to places where they find food. We had lots of rats when we moved in but have less now.....and we keep poultry. How do you explain that?

We hang poultry feeders from the roof on metal chains. We have the type that the poultry can't flick food out of. On the odd occasion we have a food spill it gets cleaned up.

We hardly get any rat bait eaten now expect at harvest time when they come in hungry from the farmers fields.

is it worth keeping chickens for a few eggs to have rats around your garden?

Edited by jacklev1
Spellings

We too had rats in the garden and I was reluctant to have chickens because I didn't want to encourage anymore vermin.

I got the chickens anyway, and used poultry feeders where rat could not reach.

Anyway, about a year after, the neighbours stopped feeding the wild birds food because they would see the rats around the food they had put out for them.

The rats have all gone now and I still have my chickens.

We only have to be careful not to leave food about where rats can make easy picking.