Sheffield City Police Great Big Scam of 1964.

...............I bet you could tell us some real tales about what went on!!! Care to spill the beans? Not mentioning any names ofcourse!!!

What this space, when I get the time I will tell of things nefarious and some stupid.

P.C. P)lod

---------- Post added 10-04-2015 at 18:09 ----------

I remember PC Plod(Hiya Harry).

You will eventually read disparaging things on here about him as the ranks close and the standard damage limitation protocol is put into place.

Be aware of this, there was never a more hard working, conscientious, honest cop than PC Plod. He was eccentric, a real character but he put more villains away in a year than most cops of the time did in a career.

Hello Alan,

To be honest I can't remember you I'm sorry. But I am very grateful for your sentiments, they are more precious to me that any commendations or gongs.

Sincerely,

Harry Bunker, P.C. Plod

Hi Harry, In 1963 the police invited bids for some ex CID cars. I had a look at the car at West Bar and bid £175 and got a 1958 Minor 1000, reg 8180 WB. Stan Morris was a friend of my parents. As he was Chief Constable around that time, you may have known him.

Edited by mikeG
punctuation

I certainly did know Stan Morris. In 1963, he was a chief superintendent, and became chief constable of Rotherham shortly afterwards. When Sheffield amalgamated with Rotherham on 1st April, 1968, he came back to Sheffield as the Deputy Chief Constable of the combined force. He was a 'head honcho' in the masonic movement, and I'm sorry to tell you this, but he was a pillock of the first order, bossing and bullying everyone around under threats of 'being dealt with'. And he was mad, he used to patrol in his own plain car and he was wearing plain clothes looking for bad drivers, the only problem was how to stop an offending driver. That daft bugger did it by forcing the other driver into the side of the road and swerving in front of him. I know, I saw him do it once on Sheffield Road at Tinsley. The other driver saw me at the side of the road and made an emergency stop to seek refuge from me. He was notorious for doing that amongst other things, many of them bad things. Nuff said I think.

Sincerely,

Harry Bunker, P.C. Plod.

you aint the copper that gave me a dig at Hillsborough are you, be about 1971

I do not think so GVOWL, I worked from West Bar, then Rotherham, then Hackenthorpe, and finally Rotherham again before I got zapped. It wouldn't have been me anyway, I was serving in the C.I.D. at Rotherham from late 69 to late 74, and detectives did not do special duties at football matches.

Edited by PCPLOD178
addition

I do not think so GVOWL, I worked from West Bar, then Rotherham, then Hackenthorpe, and finally Rotherham again before I got zapped. It wouldn't have been me anyway, I was serving in the C.I.D. at Rotherham from late 69 to late 74, and detectives did not do special duties at football matches.

Good, totally uncalled for. I was on the Kop, the crowd swayed like it did in those days, probably pushing from the back. I was thrust into a copper and he gives me a dig when we regain out balance