Shoplifting in coop

Oh I share your pain. Bring back real people thats what I say!

You are talking out of the back of your neck. There is almost always a choice between a self-service till and a staff-operated one.

Edited by aliceBB

You are talking out of the back of your neck. There is always a choice between a self-service till and a staff-operated one.

You ever been to b and q at Darnall?

Tesco express on abbey dale rd?

You ever been to b and q at Darnall?

Tesco express on abbey dale rd?

Yes and no.

If there is genuinely no choice of till type in a particular outlet, then there is no obligation to shop there, is there? Just go somewhere else.

It's called 'capitalism'.

Doesn't bother me at all. It was just to highlight the fact that there is not always a choice between self service and serviced till.

My experience of the staff in b and q Darnell will always lead me to use self scan if possible.

I've never liked those bloody machines, there's no consistency between different supermarkets or even the same supermarket.

In one supermarket, you have to scan in this direction ----->

In another supermarket of the same branch, you're expected to scan in that direction <-----

And heaven forbid if, like me, you carry your items to the scanner by hand instead of using a shopping basket!

"UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA!" she complains!

Or my personal favourite, after I've just paid and am picking up my items by hand (I don't take plastic bags I don't need):

"PLEASE TAKE YOUR ITEMS!"

I'M TRYING TO, MADAM!!!

Its too easy..if a third of people admit to stealing from them its those from all walks of life.

---------- Post added 06-04-2015 at 23:14 ----------

You are talking out of the back of your neck. There is almost always a choice between a self-service till and a staff-operated one.

Not always. Sometimes in the large supermarkets late

At night its virtually self service only.

By all accounts thats the best time to shoplift.

Not always. Sometimes in the large supermarkets late

At night its virtually self service only.

By all accounts thats the best time to shoplift.

Rubbish poem, if you don't mind my saying.

I saw a smackhead empty a box load of Kit-Kats into his bag and his smackhead girlfriend pick up two tiramisus from the chiller and just walk out. Staff did nothing.

Then a week or so later, same small Tesco shop, I saw a really dirty, scruffy, stinking old homeless pick up a pack of fig rolls and go pay for them with coppers. This was an emotional rollercoaster of a shopping trip.

I've never liked those bloody machines, there's no consistency between different supermarkets or even the same supermarket.

In one supermarket, you have to scan in this direction ----->

In another supermarket of the same branch, you're expected to scan in that direction <-----

And heaven forbid if, like me, you carry your items to the scanner by hand instead of using a shopping basket!

"UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA!" she complains!

Or my personal favourite, after I've just paid and am picking up my items by hand (I don't take plastic bags I don't need):

"PLEASE TAKE YOUR ITEMS!"

I'M TRYING TO, MADAM!!!

I'm almost certain that the only barcode scanner that has ANY relation to direction at all are the old pen type they used in the libraries.

The ones used in self-service machines (and most supermarkets) are omnidirectional, so can pick up the code at various angles. The trick is to line up the code with one of the lasers, direction is completely irrelevant.

The latter issues are undeniably annoying though. But if I am buying just a few items, I much prefer self service, once you get used to doing it.

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 02:36 ----------

Doesn't bother me at all. It was just to highlight the fact that there is not always a choice between self service and serviced till.

My experience of the staff in b and q Darnell will always lead me to use self scan if possible.

I would gladly use self-scan at Sainsburys at Town End as the staff turnover is so high that every single time I want to spend my Nectar points the person serving is new and doesn't know how.

I mean no disrespect to the staff, but sometimes it would definitely have been quicker to do it myself.

Then there was the time I forgot my Nectar card and had to use the app on my Samsung phone which they were SURE wouldn't work, so I had to bend over the counter to hold it in front of the scanner myself.

Edited by AlexAtkin

All this shoplifting because people are starving and can not afford food is rubbish. I worked in a shop for about 4-5 years and I only came across 1 person steeling genuinely for themselves (and I decided to let them have it)

The rest have been either drug addicts or alcoholics, steeling mainly meat, alcohol, cheese, chocolate or toiletries. I dealt with 100's and constantly got threatened, swore at, spat at and actually had a needle pulled out on me one (needless to say he got away with the meat lol)

I can totally 100% see why some staff don't bother with stopping them because of how them become when you try to take the stuff back off of them, because you are coming between them and the next fix.

I used to burn a hard copied Dvd for the police and report it (weather I got the goods back or not) but the shoplifters have to be caught like 10 times before they got locked up. Many staff don't bother taking the time to report it because of how long it takes.

In my opinion they should be at least 1 security guard on in every shop (although that will never happen)

I know ile be wrong and someone will come out with some statistics that 40% of shoplifting incidents are people doing it for a kick or something daft like that, but in my experience (in the real world not what the paper's or google say) it is people nicking to feed a habit.

All this shoplifting because people are starving and can not afford food is rubbish. I worked in a shop for about 4-5 years and I only came across 1 person steeling genuinely for themselves (and I decided to let them have it)

The rest have been either drug addicts or alcoholics, steeling mainly meat, alcohol, cheese, chocolate or toiletries. I dealt with 100's and constantly got threatened, swore at, spat at and actually had a needle pulled out on me one (needless to say he got away with the meat lol)

I can totally 100% see why some staff don't bother with stopping them because of how them become when you try to take the stuff back off of them, because you are coming between them and the next fix.

I used to burn a hard copied Dvd for the police and report it (weather I got the goods back or not) but the shoplifters have to be caught like 10 times before they got locked up. Many staff don't bother taking the time to report it because of how long it takes.

In my opinion they should be at least 1 security guard on in every shop (although that will never happen)

I know ile be wrong and someone will come out with some statistics that 40% of shoplifting incidents are people doing it for a kick or something daft like that, but in my experience (in the real world not what the paper's or google say) it is people nicking to feed a habit.

I dont buy it.

Except a third have admitted theft..from self service.

Its all walks of life. The only thing that stops anyone is if they can get away with it.

This is the thing. You will notice the 'druggie' type people. you probably won't notice the man in a suit who 'accidentally' didn't scan that bottle of wine through etc. The world we see is through our own lenses that our lives have provided for us. We are conditioned to believe only gaunt, scruffy, dirty drug addicts are shoplifters so that is all we look for, whether we are aware of it or not.

This is the thing. You will notice the 'druggie' type people. you probably won't notice the man in a suit who 'accidentally' didn't scan that bottle of wine through etc. The world we see is through our own lenses that our lives have provided for us. We are conditioned to believe only gaunt, scruffy, dirty drug addicts are shoplifters so that is all we look for, whether we are aware of it or not.

True...if you go in with a suit and tie on, obviously not a scroat..its too easy to slip a steak through the self checkout.

I know people who do it. But they are also buying expensive food. Its a trade off.