Cunninghams Pickled Red Cabbage

Asda pickled cabbage isn't bad

I have heard that waterall brothers butchers stocks the full range of Cunninghams products.

---------- Post added 18-12-2015 at 09:17 ----------

None of Cunninghams stuff tastes remotely like it used to when it was made on Queens Rd. The Piccalilli in particular is now just yellow mush compared to when it used to have huge chunks of veg in it.

I think this was mentioned on here a couple of years ago and somebody from the company said that the recipes were almost exactly the same.

They'll be telling us next that Waggon Wheels are the same size as they were when I was a kid.

Have you tried the piccalilli recently it seems over the last 3 months that the veg sizes have returned back to how they use to be and the sauce is a lot thicker now:thumbsup:

I have heard that waterall brothers butchers stocks the full range of Cunninghams products.

---------- Post added 18-12-2015 at 09:17 ----------

Have you tried the piccalilli recently it seems over the last 3 months that the veg sizes have returned back to how they use to be and the sauce is a lot thicker now:thumbsup:

Think I was being a bit harsh when I said it didn't 'taste' the same. I think my main gripe was the size of the veg. Despite my moaning about it I've always bought it. Growing up in the 50s the only pickles in our house were Cunninghams so the actual taste of Piccalilli to me is theirs. In the old days if you took a cauliflower floret out of a jar with your fork then half the jar seemed to vanish. That's how much bigger they we're than today where they're tiny chunks

Think I was being a bit harsh when I said it didn't 'taste' the same. I think my main gripe was the size of the veg. Despite my moaning about it I've always bought it. Growing up in the 50s the only pickles in our house were Cunninghams so the actual taste of Piccalilli to me is theirs. In the old days if you took a cauliflower floret out of a jar with your fork then half the jar seemed to vanish. That's how much bigger they we're than today where they're tiny chunks

hiya, it has never been mentiond about cunninghams pickles that George cunningham the painter was the founders son, his books are very good and are still in print saw some in w h smiths.

None of Cunninghams stuff tastes remotely like it used to when it was made on Queens Rd. The Piccalilli in particular is now just yellow mush compared to when it used to have huge chunks of veg in it.

I think this was mentioned on here a couple of years ago and somebody from the company said that the recipes were almost exactly the same.

They'll be telling us next that Waggon Wheels are the same size as they were when I was a kid.

Wagon wheels were as big as dustbin lids when I was a kid , now they're like fifty pence pieces . :hihi:

---------- Post added 25-12-2015 at 19:42 ----------

Does anyone out there in Forum Land know where I can get some jars of this?

When I was young my mother would only have Cunningham's product's , one time she sent my sister to buy Piccallili, my sister returned with the wrong brand , my mother sent her out , back to the " shop " , to replace this piccalilli with Cunningham's , unfortunately for my sister she had not been to the " shop " , she had bought it from the Mobile grocer , she searched the streets trying to find the Mobile , an old single decker bus , but to no avail and had to return to my mothers wrath .

hiya, it has never been mentiond about cunninghams pickles that George cunningham the painter was the founders son, his books are very good and are still in print saw some in w h smiths.

It seems that George's maternal grandfather was the founder of the pickle factory. The business was carried on by his mother and father when it became known as Cunningham Pickle & Co.

http://www.ourbroomhall.org.uk/content/latest-contributions/george-cunningham-history-family

Afternoon all.

I'm a director of Cunninghams Pickle Company & I have come across this forum & thought I maybe able to help.

Wateralls Butchers in Sheffield is our main outlet for all Cunninghams products. Please call in for everything we make. They are a fantastic family run business similar to us & they also sell extremely high quality cuts of meat too. They stock Onions, Cabbage, Piccalilli & also Sliced Beetroot. As you will know we also have our Piccalilli stocked nationally in Morrison's & also in regional Asda's & Tesco's.

Back to Piccalilli, I would like to inform you all that we have made significant changes to the vegetable content in the product at our expense & also the method of manufacturing to ensure we can get as much crunchy veg in the jar that is physically possible. I thank you all for discussing our products and all feedback is appreciated. I will never turn my back to constructive criticism, so I thank you all. I also would like to thank you for the continued support you have shown us throughout the years & long may it continue.

I would like to ask you all a favour though.

:help:

What product would you like me to spend time on creating for the Cunningham range? I'm open to suggestions, although I would like to add a form of Chutney myself?

Regards,

Stewart.

i regularly get cunninghams piccalilly ,and i can say there is a difference in the vegetable content.i wouldn't use any other brand :thumbsup:

Wateralls Butchers in Sheffield is our main outlet for all Cunninghams products. Please call in for everything we make. They are a fantastic family run business similar to us & they also sell extremely high quality cuts of meat too. They stock Onions, Cabbage, Piccalilli & also Sliced Beetroot.

I drive past there most days but didn't realise it was open to the public. So is there a shop inside? If so I must call in.

Afternoon all.

I'm a director of Cunninghams Pickle Company & I have come across this forum & thought I maybe able to help.

Wateralls Butchers in Sheffield is our main outlet for all Cunninghams products. Please call in for everything we make. They are a fantastic family run business similar to us & they also sell extremely high quality cuts of meat too. They stock Onions, Cabbage, Piccalilli & also Sliced Beetroot. As you will know we also have our Piccalilli stocked nationally in Morrison's & also in regional Asda's & Tesco's.

Back to Piccalilli, I would like to inform you all that we have made significant changes to the vegetable content in the product at our expense & also the method of manufacturing to ensure we can get as much crunchy veg in the jar that is physically possible. I thank you all for discussing our products and all feedback is appreciated. I will never turn my back to constructive criticism, so I thank you all. I also would like to thank you for the continued support you have shown us throughout the years & long may it continue.

I would like to ask you all a favour though.

:help:

What product would you like me to spend time on creating for the Cunningham range? I'm open to suggestions, although I would like to add a form of Chutney myself?

Regards,

Stewart.

A fruity brown sauce.

The only place I can buy any Cunninghams Piccalilli is the Moor Market, Tesco used to sell it but not any more, also my friend shops at Asda and they dont sell it anymore dont know about Morrisons

Thanks Stewart M for the information.

Having bought a jar of piccalilli a couple of weeks ago I can confirm that there's now loads more veg in there. Not the huge chunks of my childhood but definitely lots of small ones and, to me, it still tastes the same as it always did.

Pretty sure I bought it from Sainsbury's Archer Rd so add that to the list folks.

Can't advise you on any new line to introduce. There's so many sauces and chutneys out there now and, speaking personally there's no substitute for Branston, HP and Heinz sauces.

Incidentally, why is it that when you get to a certain age people think that you must live on chutney and jam? The number of times I get gifted it is alarming.