Nick clegg in Sheffield

It looks very likely that the Lib/Dems will be part of a coalition government after the next election. Most likely with the Tories.

I suppose the point is that if Clegg is an elected MP Sheffield will have a minister in the cabinet who might well get some benefit for the city. If he isn't Sheffield won't.

Sorry Dan I don't buy your clear Lib Dem bias.

From what I've read this would be a fully funded policy that would mean the Universities get their money, and we can start to ensure future generations continue to get an eduction. So where does your 2/3rds come from?

The probability of being £44,000 in debt by the time you leave Uni is a legacy the Lib Dems have to stand by and no amount of scaremongering is going to change that they didn't just break a promise, they U-turned as soon as they could.

As for the tuition fees themselves, and whether putting them up to £9k was a great idea in the first place can be answered here:

Student fees policy likely to cost more than the system it replaced

Sorry to burst your bubble about how great the wonderful Nick Clegg is. But he IS likely to lose his seat, he DID have a majority of 15,000 and he HASN'T done anything for me his former constituent.

Not pro-Lib Dem at all.

Just saying that Labour's fee policy is the one that would be a disaster as it would drive unis into the private sector and allow the best unis to charge up to £30k a year.

Tories, SNP, Greens all have sustainable HE policies. It's only Labour's that is really dangerous. UniversitiesUK have sternly warned about the £10b funding gap if they implement it.

2/3s is because it costs £9k to run a university course (salaries, estates, overheads), so if Labour cut fees to £6k, that's 1/3 funding shortfall. Meaning 1/3 of staff would need to be sacked (Sheffield's two biggest non-public sector employers), and class sizes would need to be 1/3 bigger

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 09:49 ----------

It looks very likely that the Lib/Dems will be part of a coalition government after the next election. Most likely with the Tories.

I suppose the point is that if Clegg is an elected MP Sheffield will have a minister in the cabinet who might well get some benefit for the city. If he isn't Sheffield won't.

I agree it. IMO the Tories and Libs will end up in coalition again (Cameron will fight off the right wingers in his party to go with Libs over UKIP).

Whatever people think of Clegg, there's no alternative in Hallam constituency. The Tories aren't trying (a deal with Clegg?) and its far too rich an area (3rd richest constituency outside of west London) to vote Labour

2/3s is because it costs £9k to run a university course (salaries, estates, overheads), so if Labour cut fees to £6k, that's 1/3 funding shortfall. Meaning 1/3 of staff would need to be sacked (Sheffield's two biggest non-public sector employers), and class sizes would need to be 1/3 bigger

I think we all agree that this is a difficult area, but can we agree that they wouldn't simply stop paying the Universities overnight? That's an absurd and untrue suggestion.

The difference would be made up from the government just like it was before the coalition changed it. When the frees were tripled to £9,000 the universities didn't just suddenly get extra cash, it was offset by reducing what the government pays in.

Great, people will say. Why do I have to pay for someone to go to Uni? Visited a GP recently? Got children in primary, junior or secondary school? Not paying for those... Wow. Who needs a healthy educated society?

(Not Go4it apparently on the definition of 'compromise'. Why let facts and true definitions get in the way of a good rant)

Oh, and speaking of facts. Sustainability you say....?

Labour’s university fees reduction would eventually pay for itself

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 09:52 ----------

Whatever people think of Clegg, there's no alternative in Hallam constituency. The Tories aren't trying (a deal with Clegg?) and its far too rich an area (3rd richest constituency outside of west London) to vote Labour

No alternative? So whose leading the polls?

Clegg has had five years to show support for Sheffield - what has he done? Refused to back the Forgemasters loan, held his Lib Dem conference behind a ring of steel, hiding from his constituents. Clegg would do nothing for Sheffield - I will be voting for Coppard.

I think we all agree that this is a difficult area, but can we agree that they wouldn't simply stop paying the Universities overnight? That's an absurd and untrue suggestion.

The difference would be made up from the government just like it was before the coalition changed it. When the frees were tripled to £9,000 the universities didn't just suddenly get extra cash, it was offset by reducing what the government pays in.

Great, people will say. Why do I have to pay for someone to go to Uni? Visited a GP recently? Got children in primary, junior or secondary school? Not paying for those... Wow. Who needs a healthy educated society?

(Not Go4it apparently on the definition of 'compromise'. Why let facts and true definitions get in the way of a good rant)

Oh, and speaking of facts. Sustainability you say....?

Labour’s university fees reduction would eventually pay for itself

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 09:52 ----------

No alternative? So whose leading the polls?

So taxes would be raised by £10b to pay for cutting the fees? Where is that going to come from?

It's sustainable to get students to pay full costs (effectively a graduate tax, except not lifelong). An independent charity (like universities are) relying on the state to maintain them, when they are cutting spending everywhere, isn't at all sustainable.

HE was free when 1 in 13 people went. Now nearly 1 in 2 go. No state can afford to subsidise half its 18-21 - it would bankrupt itself in days. The only way to make university free is to make it completely elite again.

Local polls are notoriously poor. An intern probably sat in Starbucks on Eccy Rd talking to students (who won't actually bother voting) for a few hours on a weekday afternoon, and didn't talk to any of the working middle classes that make up 85% of the constituency.

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 10:25 ----------

Clegg has had five years to show support for Sheffield - what has he done? Refused to back the Forgemasters loan, held his Lib Dem conference behind a ring of steel, hiding from his constituents. Clegg would do nothing for Sheffield - I will be voting for Coppard.

How does he hide? He holds a surgery in Nethergreen every Friday. Anyone can book an appointment if they live in the Hallam constituency

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

Bringing the Lib/Dem conference to Sheffield gave the city a chance to be in the spotlight. Instead the lefty thugs attacked the conference and caused riots. Well done. I note no other party has considered Sheffield since.

Mod Note

Bickering posts removed along with all quotes, kindly stay on topic without the personal attacks please.

According to the bookmakers, he's still favourite to win Sheffield Hallam. I believe he will also.

If I was in Sheffield Hallam, I would vote for him. Unfortunately, I'm in Sheffield Heeley which is pretty much a Labour stronghold.

Lets hope that Coppard can win this seat. He seems a reasonable bloke...

Shame he's an Arsenal fan though..

Not to mention his excruciatingly bad taste in music....

Bringing the Lib/Dem conference to Sheffield gave the city a chance to be in the spotlight. Instead the lefty thugs attacked the conference and caused riots.

No they didn't. What a load of rubbish. I went - it was peaceful. The worst I saw was one man shouting "scum" at someone in a yellow tie. That's a million miles away from a riot.

Sheffield's ring of steel proved massively over the top

Why should have the government offered the Forgemasters a loan? They are a private business and they were offered a loan via the traditional methods, this is nothing more than a stick to beat Clegg with.

He wont.

His majority is more than 15,000.

I don't think the Tories have put up a particularly strong candidate

Enfield Southgate in 1997 was also defending a majority of more than 15,000. And we all know what happened there.

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 15:50 ----------

How does he hide? He holds a surgery in Nethergreen every Friday. Anyone can book an appointment if they live in the Hallam constituency

I live in the constituency and I seem to have recurring dreams of being a terrorist. Where I turn up there and punch him in the face. Then I wasn't aware that it was against the law to have such dreams.