Zero Hours Contracts - Pleased or Not

Just to inject a factual content to an interesting debate, here are some stats.

I don't see the contracts themselves as a problem, if they are mutually acceptable. The problem comes when unscrupulous employers use them in an abusive manner.

The charts are interesting though.

From the article:

By gender:

Women make up a bigger proportion of those that reporting working on zero-hours contracts (55%) compared with other people in employment (47%).

It doesn't add up. Unless I've missed something.

Ron Jeremy says earlier that the people he employs on ZHC's find it mutually acceptable. What if the worker doesn't want to come in on a particular day, for what could be a myriad of reasons, and the employer 'does' want them in? How does that work?

See my post 23 above.. The employer rings someone else and asks them.

I know folk from public sector jobs where they retired in their 50s. They have paid off their mortgages and can pay their bills. Some work zero hour contract jobs to relieve the boredom between holidays.

It works like this. Phone rings... Can you work a couple of days next week.

No we are on holiday but I could do the week after.

No good the job is this week.

Ok well call me again next time.

This is exactly what happens.

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 10:56 ----------

Or forced to take the job by the benefits people?

Ron Jeremy says earlier that the people he employs on ZHC's find it mutually acceptable. What if the worker doesn't want to come in on a particular day, for what could be a myriad of reasons, and the employer 'does' want them in? How does that work?

They have the right to turn me down. It is a mutually agreed contract.

"Are you available on Thursday?"

"No"

"Ok"

Or forced to take the job by the benefits people?

If they don't want to work on that day, they just say no sorry can't work.

If they don't want to work on that day, they just say no sorry can't work.

Yes it sounds easy....But surely it must have an impact upon being asked at all on future days?....

Ok it's fine for someone who doesn't actually need the money....

Just to inject a factual content to an interesting debate, here are some stats.

I don't see the contracts themselves as a problem, if they are mutually acceptable. The problem comes when unscrupulous employers use them in an abusive manner.

The charts are interesting though.

This is bang on the money. This thread makes the important point that ZHCs suit some people and for those people the right for them to continue to work in that way should be preserved.

Like you say where the contracts are clearly exploitative then reform is needed. There are people who work full time on these contracts, with the contract just a device for the employer to shirk their responsibilities.

This isn't a black and white case of all ZHCs being bad so any new law needs to be smart enough to take that into account.

This is bang on the money. This thread makes the important point that ZHCs suit some people and for those people the right for them to continue to work in that way should be preserved.

Like you say where the contracts are clearly exploitative then reform is needed. There are people who work full time on these contracts, with the contract just a device for the employer to shirk their responsibilities.

This isn't a black and white case of all ZHCs being bad so any new law needs to be smart enough to take that into account.

It still doesn't add up, but that aside.

You are correct. They are not all bad, and indeed should not be demonised by the left. Exploitative contracts are the problem for some, but not ZHCs per se.

I cant see how they can legislate, and Millipede says he wants to ban them all - but he's never had a real job or run a business in his life, so what does he know?

I don't suppose he could live as a road sweeper either. What point are you trying to make?

I have quoted what the PM said, he couldn't live on a zero hour contract. What further point needs to be made?

Ed Milliband reminded Cameron about his quote on the debate last night and Cameron's reply - complete silence.

So the question remains is there anyone here on a ZHC?

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 11:40 ----------

I have quoted what the PM said, he couldn't live on a zero hour contract. What further point needs to be made?

Ed Milliband reminded Cameron about his quote on the debate last night and Cameron's reply - complete silence.

But plenty of people can and want to do so.

The PM probably also couldn't live on £10 an hour for a 40 hour working week so should that also be banned, the people that I know on zero hours contracts don't pay rent/mortgage/ or any other households bill so have no worries about budgeting.

Why couldn't the PM live on £10 an hour for a 40 day week?

If you turn any job down at the job centre for far less than that, you get your dole stopped. These are the government's own rules.

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 11:47 ----------

But plenty of people can and want to do so.

Great for students and casual workers with no commitments of rent or a mortgage and don't care where their next penny is coming from, but how many people actively go looking for that type of work? 2 hours a week if they are lucky and no work a week later.

It still doesn't add up, but that aside.

You are correct. They are not all bad, and indeed should not be demonised by the left. Exploitative contracts are the problem for some, but not ZHCs per se.

I cant see how they can legislate, and Millipede says he wants to ban them all - but he's never had a real job or run a business in his life, so what does he know?

I may be wrong and might have been hearing things...But I thought I heard them (him..Milliband) say, if you've been working full time hours for a period of 12 weeks, then you should be entitled to ask for a proper contract.

Asking isn't exactly the same as being enshrined in law.....So it seems to me, it's a bit of a fudge anyway.

And of course the workaround (for the unscrupulous) will be to lay you off for a few days or a week or something, so that you don't have the requisite 12 weeks uninterrupted employment.

Why couldn't the PM live on £10 an hour for a 40 day week?

If you turn any job down at the job centre for far less than that, you get your dole stopped. These are the government's own rules.

The answer is he could. Of course he could, but you get used to the income you receive.

We could all live on £70 per week - it wouldn't be much fun, but we could.