Zero Hours Contracts - Pleased or Not

the private sector running services in Sheffield for example are using zhc. The services they are providing are not more efficient or effective have you not noticed bins going to fortnightly collections/ dumpit sites with reduced opening hours etc. btw seeing as you still haven't addressed what I put to you I'll try to explain , the older generation working these contracts (I bet) held full time permanent work of which they paid into pension pots to be able to retire early .out of this full time employment status they were able to get a mortgage and get on the property ladder. Do you think the people on the zhc are going to be able to do the same

It is unlikely.

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 18:38 ----------

As for the first bit - the specification for refuse removal, would have specified the frequency of collection. If there was a desire by the council to have more frequent collections then I'm sure the private company would be happy to oblige. Your example does not prove anything either way.

I've worked on ZHC through college. Wasn't a issue, I didn't want more hours, and the establishment would never had afforded to be able to hire their staff (many of us on ZH) without cost to consumer rising (basically they would have had to let people go).

We liked the flexibility, I would think it's mainly private small business using ZHC and I worry how students might work or these businesses stay afloat if they were removed as a option. I know some business owners who employ ZHC - they always respond to requests to more or less hours where they can and it suits them and their employees.

Edited by Nem88

I've mostly set people on a self employed basis and paying them for jobs done.I've always found because of the random nature of my kind of business I can't really turn round to someone and say I can give them a full time job all the time,I can see where zhc could be useful.

I've worked on ZHC through college. Wasn't a issue, I didn't want more hours, and the establishment would never had afforded to be able to hire their staff (many of us on ZH) without cost to consumer rising (basically they would have had to let people go).

We liked the flexibility, I would think it's mainly private small business using ZHC and I worry how students might work or these businesses stay afloat if they were removed as a option. I know some business owners who employ ZHC - they always respond to requests to more or less hours where they can and it suits them and their employees.

This term ZHC has only just been invented.

Like you say, they were the norm through Uni when it suited some students (not knowing hours and when is a little inconvenient) and employers alike.

Wouldnt like to try raising a family on one.