Zero Hours Contracts - Pleased or Not

I would like to hear the views of people on here who are on ZHCs.

I employ plenty of people on full and part time contracts. I also have a few on ZHCs who are perfectly happy with the arrangements. They can tell us when they want to work, we can tell them when we want them for seasonal work particularly during the summer and at busy times. It suits us and it suits them.

I think you should be forced to give them all a full time job on £10 an hour.

:rolleyes:

I think you should be forced to give them all a full time job on £10 an hour.

:rolleyes:

Well they're not on Minimum Wage by any means so they are approaching that figure - if they work hard/smart enough.

Well they're not on Minimum Wage by any means so they are approaching that figure - if they work hard/smart enough.

Sounds fair enough to me.

I have never been on such a contract but can understand the benefits and the down side. The bit I wouldn't like is not knowing which days I would be working until the day arrives, and I think a minimum hours contract would be better with the minimum set at around 520 hours a year.

It's pretty much like employing a gardener to look after your lawns and hedges. You give a guy a few hours work each month during the summer when the grass and hedges are growing. He is free to work for other folk.

Like many folk employed on zero hours contracts. If you had to employ them full time or even part time all year round the job would cease to exist.

Zero hours contracts are an abuse of the workers.

It's pretty much like employing a gardener to look after your lawns and hedges. You give a guy a few hours work each month during the summer when the grass and hedges are growing. He is free to work for other folk.

Like many folk employed on zero hours contracts. If you had to employ them full time or even part time all year round the job would cease to exist.

That's my thought and experience. I realise they are being demonised by Milliband and his supporters, but I wondered if anyone on here is free to choose when they work?

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 10:08 ----------

Zero hours contracts are an abuse of the workers.

Please elaborate. Are you on a ZHC?

Even the PM say he couldn't live on a zero hour contract. Says it all really.

Please explain how are you suppose to budget to pay your rent or mortgage? :huh:

That's my thought and experience. I realise they are being demonised by Milliband and his supporters, but I wondered if anyone on here is free to choose when they work?

The answer is simple. Do away with the zero hours contracts and insist the emplyees become self employed contractors. It saves you paying NI as well.

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 10:18 ----------

Please explain how are you suppose to budget to pay your rent or mortgage? :huh:

I don't suppose he could live as a road sweeper either. What point are you trying to make?

Most zero hours contract jobs would cease to exist if the employer was forced to offer a full time job. So the alternative is to survive on the dole.

The PM probably also couldn't live on £10 an hour for a 40 hour working week so should that also be banned, the people that I know on zero hours contracts don't pay rent/mortgage/ or any other households bill so have no worries about budgeting.

most people cant live on these contracts (unless they have a partner working) and like you say about people paying rent/mortgage. I wonder how many landlords on here would rent to someone solely on a zero hours contract? how many banks would lend to people on a zhc ? this country is supposed to be run by clever people yet cant see the wood for the trees:huh:

Please elaborate. Are you on a ZHC?

No im not, id sooner be unemployed than on one of those. Tell me how you can plan for the week or months bills and expenses on a zero hour contract.

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 10:26 ----------

most people cant live on these contracts (unless they have a partner working) and like you say about people paying rent/mortgage. I wonder how many landlords on here would rent to someone solely on a zero hours contract? how many banks would lend to people on a zhc ? this country is supposed to be run by clever people yet cant see the wood for the trees:huh:

Its the clever people who run the country that allow nay encourage these contracts? Most mps have interests in big business and its big business thats makes a killing from these types of contracts.