Conservation area not being enforced

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice/sympathy. I live in a conservation area, as does my neighbour. In November last year my neighbour replaced all their sash windows with PVC and burned the wooden originals in their yard. I notified the council about this (they don't seem very nice so I was afraid to go round and consult them, plus it was done during the day while I was out).

However, despite receiving an email reply from the council saying it was definitely illegal, they hadn't requested planning permission and the owner was being asked to replace them with the originals or identical replacements nothing since has happened.

The PVC is still there and no replacement look likely, and there has been no planning permission applied for.

Last sumer I spent a ridiculous amount getting our original sash windows refurbished. Did i waste my money? I'm just annoyed our neighbour is getting away with this.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice/sympathy. I live in a conservation area, as does my neighbour. In November last year my neighbour replaced all their sash windows with PVC and burned the wooden originals in their yard. I notified the council about this (they don't seem very nice so I was afraid to go round and consult them, plus it was done during the day while I was out).

However, despite receiving an email reply from the council saying it was definitely illegal, they hadn't requested planning permission and the owner was being asked to replace them with the originals or identical replacements nothing since has happened.

The PVC is still there and no replacement look likely, and there has been no planning permission applied for.

Last sumer I spent a ridiculous amount getting our original sash windows refurbished. Did i waste my money? I'm just annoyed our neighbour is getting away with this.

Did the council say what their enforcement process is? It might all have started but be happening behind the scenes.

They said that they'd spoken to the owner and asked them to remove the new windows and replace them, or they'd do it for them by force, but didn't seem to have given them a timeline. It's just over 5 months later now and nothing has happened.

Hi,

You won't have lost money OopNorth. You house will be more desirable with sash windows. People value these features, especially in a conservation area. And in any case, your house will look much nicer than the neighbour's. Annoying though.

That's true. But I'm the one that has to look at their ugly windows every day. :D They get to look at my nice sash windows. ;)

That's true. But I'm the one that has to look at their ugly windows every day. :D They get to look at my nice sash windows. ;)

Mutter loudly about monstrous carbuncles every time you go past :)

They said that they'd spoken to the owner and asked them to remove the new windows and replace them, or they'd do it for them by force, but didn't seem to have given them a timeline. It's just over 5 months later now and nothing has happened.

Perhaps contact your Local Authority Councillor and ask for an investigation re why there's such a delay in enforcement.

Jeffery, perhaps you might be able to comment on whether the OP might be able to get recourse from the council in their failure to carry out their statutory duty.

I suppose the local government ombudsman might be the first port of call.

Won't it come to bite the owner in the bum if they come to sell it as well??

Hi,

Hi OopNorth.

As far as I'm aware planning permission is not required when replacing windows, even in a conservation area, unless the building is specifically listed or an Article 4 Direction has been applied to the area. Joe Public, therefore, simply does what he/she wants and from my experience conservation officers rarely intervene.

It's extremely sad that our built heritage is treated in such a cavalier fashion, often simply for the sake of convenience, but that's the way it is.

I live in a conservation area and have recently replaced 40 year old timber windows, like for like, with the exception that the new ones are double glazed. Of course wood needs periodic maintenance in the form of painting/staining and folks nowadays will say that they don't have the time or money to do that: but how long will Upvc ones last in good condition?

Some of my neighbours have replaced wooden windows with plastic and the results quite frankly are, in my opinion, grotesque. Here most windows are Georgian style with small panes and timber glazing bars. These have been replaced by white plastic strips set inside the glass. They look nothing like the original.

Another relevant point is that timber is renewable whereas plastic uses the finite supply of oil. It also has better insulating properties. One day, no doubt long after I'm gone, mankind will see the error of his ways but hopefully the tide is even now slowly turning.

My new windows incidentally cost less than equivalent Upvc ones.

So, in conclusion Oop North, you have my sympathy but be heartened by the fact that people who appreciate vernacular architecture kept in as near its original state as possible will look favourably on your house when you come to sell. You will see the benefit now and feel it then.

Thankfully we are not all Philistines.

echo.

Hi all,

Planning permission is definitely required for our area as it's an Article 4 Direction area. It's Nether Edge if that helps.

I chased the enforcement officer the other day and they replied to me today saying that they're still in the process of forcing him to comply. He said he would a few months ago, but hasn't done anything yet so they're going to remind him the work is outstanding and they may consider using "more formal enforcement action" if he doesn't.

The owner is a landlord btw, the building is split into flats, so I don't think he'll be bothered about the resale value.