First Buses in Sheffield so Unreliable

That's my experience too. On the 120 Fulwood route, a few weeks ago, I waited 40 minutes + for a bus. I saw three buses go up to the terminus, but none came down for ages. Eventually, two buses came - one straight after the other, they then took it in turns to stop at alternate stops to pick up passengers.

When I had got on the bus, I had (politely) asked the driver, why we had had to wait so long for a bus. He didn't answer at first, so I asked again and got the surly reply, "I'm on time". Some of the First drivers are okay, but in my experience, a lot of them are miserable, unfriendly and unhelpful.

Yesterday, I got a Stagecoach 83A and that driver was cheery, polite and couldn't have been more helpful when I asked which stop was best for Endcliffe Park Cafe.

On the manner of First bus driver you seem to have the same opinion as me. They are so miserable and unfriendly.

At least Stagecoach drivers usually make an effort and are generally more cheerful.

*WAFFLE*

I haven't had a payrise either this year, neither have a lot of workers so quit the whining about 1%, it's better that most of us will get.

As for drivers wanting to run buses on time. Pull the other one. On REGULAR occasions I've witnessed/been victim to drivers using timing stops as unauthorised 5 min breaks when they're already 10-15 mins late.

The whole point of a timing stop is to be used as a buffer to get the bus back on track with the time table or as near as possible.

What you need is a nice little car. They go where you want, when you need them. Bus system is a joke if you dont live on a highly profitable route like the 52 . You cant move for buses on that route they are literally fighting to get to the passengers

Too true ChrisT70.

Plus there are already far too many buses on the road. Apart from peak times, buses run around the city mostly empty, cluttering up the road, slowing down other traffic and belching out some bad emissions (Buses do about 8 miles per gallon. The T reg bus I crept along behind at the weekend smelt like rotten eggs)

As for the behavior of people on buses......Dont get me started!

I don't know about prices on the other routes but the 120 is a total ripoff.

Want to go into town (4 miles) £1.70 which frankly is too much

Want to go about 6 stops to the pub (1 mile) £1.70 which is having a laugh.

So I walk to the pub , and get a taxi or take the car into town.

Maybe they can justify charging this at rush hour , but the vast majority of the time those buses are totally empty from fulwood into town.

And they run them every 10 minutes, allegedly .

I would much rather have one (on time) every 20 minutes and pay half the price. Or am I missing the point? Do they get a massive subsidy or something for running 100s of empty buses all day?

First 120 does not do a £1.70 fare on the 120 also the 120 route is the cheapest in Sheffield. Halfway through to Fulwood £180 . 51 route Charnock to Lodgemoor would set you back £2.30 for a similer distance. Also the 120 does not get any subsidy so they charge what is commercially viable

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 01:03 ----------

First does not do a £1.70 fare on the 120 also the 120 route is the cheapest in Sheffield. Halfway through to Fulwood £180 . 51 route Charnock to Lodgemoor would set you back £2.30 for a similer distance. Also the 120 does not get any subsidy so they charge what is commercially viable

Guest busdriver1
Or a 'quick report' button for when services don't arrive? I have a feeling part of the problem is that travel companies' senior management don't realise how much of a problem it is. People with hands on purse-strings to sort things out are probably management or money people rather than bus people.

If you had the slightest idea how important punctuality is to any bus company the above comment would not be made.

Once again this thread is littered with the usual ill informed bias and drivel that we come to expect on this forum.

Never mind a late bus. I went to take a bus from Barnsley to meet someone at sculpture park but the bus left 5 minutes early, saw it drive away and it is a once a hour service. I rather see them leave a little late.

Not everybody can drive a nice little car, there are many conditions that make driving too dangerous.

If you had the slightest idea how important punctuality is to any bus company the above comment would not be made.

Once again this thread is littered with the usual ill informed bias and drivel that we come to expect on this forum.

What a load of rubbish. You obviously don't use the 51route.:

I don't know about prices on the other routes but the 120 is a total ripoff.

Want to go into town (4 miles) £1.70 which frankly is too much

Want to go about 6 stops to the pub (1 mile) £1.70 which is having a laugh.

So I walk to the pub , and get a taxi or take the car into town.

Maybe they can justify charging this at rush hour , but the vast majority of the time those buses are totally empty from fulwood into town.

And they run them every 10 minutes, allegedly .

I would much rather have one (on time) every 20 minutes and pay half the price. Or am I missing the point? Do they get a massive subsidy or something for running 100s of empty buses all day?

Pricing the 1 mile fare the same as the 4 mile fare is a clear indicator that you should get off your fat arse and walk! Seriously though if people are making short journeys the bus stops more often and becomes late, which is no good for anyone who has a journey which is actually worth paying £1.70+ for.

The 120 isn't a subsidised route at all. The fact two competing companies run it suggests it is rather lucrative. Same with the 52.

I missed a physio appointment yesterday because the bus didn't turn up - not impressed!

Saying that, I have usually found the buses in Sheffield to be quite reliable, having moved from Essex where I was lucky to get two buses an hour (and one of those was usually cut out) I feel very spoilt here where I usually only have to wait a maximum of five minutes for the next bus.

What pay rise??? we have been offered 0 pay rise this year and 1% next year, so that's not true is it???, and as for the running boards..... each and every driver wants to run on time, it makes their job easier, ensures they come off on their break times on time, so they get their full break. Drivers run to the running boards the best they can. If you drive you will understand that things disrupt your journey each and every day, with buses it's no exception, volume of traffic, volume of passengers, unable to pull out, diversions (lots of these in Sheffield at moment with roadworks popping up everywhere), badly parked cars etc etc.......

It's not only First, many times i'm driving the 52 and get complaints saying there has been no bus for 10 minutes plus, so, the bus that was before me should have been a Stagecoach bus, but First are always the ones to get the flac. Someone on this forum was complaining about the 79 / 79a route, saying that first can't run it properly, and first are never on time on this route, its run by stagecoach, nothing whatsoever to do with First.

If Buses are late, be it First, Stagecoach, TM etc, they are late for a reason, not because the driver wants to be late. Most bus passengers see this, they are on the bus when something happens to make the bus late.

But at least they havent been on strike for a few years thats something to be thankful for. I remember when striking was common. In fact a few years ago the wonderful Union went on strike because they dared to sack someone for having his hand in the till.