First Buses in Sheffield so Unreliable

What pay rise??? we have been offered 0 pay rise this year and 1% next year, so that's not true is it???,

HAha, you get paid enough, so you dont need a payrise.

Half of drivers are grumpy sods, walk around with miserable faces, drive off when people at bus stops!

And you want a payrise?

try being respectful!

instead of having the union stop any progress

HAha, you get paid enough, so you dont need a payrise.

Half of drivers are grumpy sods, walk around with miserable faces, drive off when people at bus stops!

And you want a payrise?

try being respectful!

instead of having the union stop any progress

Pot, kettle and all that.

How much is enough then Queenie?

I take First buses from Hillsborough to Town for work at various hours of the day and have nothing but praise for the service

Rubbish and you know it. Whenever I am on a first bus and another one goes past they wave at each other. They also regularly talk to each other at the bus interchange. Whilst us passengers are sat around like loons waiting for it to go so they must know something was going on surely.

Sorry - it is NOT rubbish, but obvious to me. If a driver is driving a bus, he will (usually) have been doing the same route for a good part of that shift without any way of talking to another driver - unless they are in a terminus point and another bus pulls in and they have time for a quick chat. Of course they wave at each other as they pass - didn't you ever acknowledge your colleagues while at work?

None of that means they know where other buses are!

---------- Post added 04-04-2015 at 07:42 ----------

A decent company who respected their customers definitely would put this information out over the radio. I'm not talking about one bus being cancelled - entire routes for the whole day were cancelled and First did not bother informing their customers even though this would have been easy to do.

I'm not the kind of person who blames drivers for shoddy performance by senior management. It's not the driver's decision which routes are served decently and which routes get multiple cancellations. It's not the driver's duty to inform traveline of cancellations or delays. The incompetence is at the hands of senior management and the regulatory authorities.

On days like you refer to I would imagine there will have been disruption all over the network and trying to cover all the routes in ever-changing circumstances would be very difficult. As I understand it anyway (a bus driver correct me if I'm wrong), the radio is only really to be used in specific circumstances, and constant calls over not very reliable radio distracts drivers who would have been concentrating on driving 12 tonne plus vehicles carrying 60+ passengers -not a safe scenario.

What amazes me about the Sheffield Forum is when you start a subject that's already been covered the Mods are quick to close it down, but when it comes to yet another boring ill informed discussion on First bus the topic is left open for all the usual venom to be posted.

I was going to give replies as to why buses are late, but it has been covered SO many times to blinkered , ignorant, 'I know best' people of Sheffield that I would just be wasting my time. x

Nice one, barclay :D. Must admit my first (no pun intended) reaction was to ignore the ill-informed ranting, but then I had a few minutes to kill, and thought I'd TRY and inject a bit of balance. Obviously, I failed.

I can honestly say that I know of bus routes that first buses run on that have never been reliable or kave anything other than consistenly late or missing buses.

What I don't understand is that if the bus is always going to be late on a particular route its clearly not just driver error so why don't they rewrite the timetable.

If a bus is going to be missing regularly as some are on some routes then just drop that run so people are not expecting a bus that wont be there.

If one of the longer bus routes runs right across or round the city then somwhere on the route they need to put spares to step in when the planned bus is forced to run late.

Not all lateness is down to First or the drivers other motorists and break downs are a factor and I'm told by a driver that some cyclists in bus lanes are a problem.... far more bus lanes are need and perhaps they should be bus lanes all through the day if not 24hr which will stop people parking or stopping in them especially if they were prosecuted more vigorously.

We have just had the Prices increased in Sheffield,but did we need this when theres no Trust in the First Buses in Sheffield Anyway,You pay for Improvement but its Got Worst not Better now,Ringing Up and Complaining is Just a Waste of Time & Money because they Always come out with a Rubbish Excuses,Why?can"t something be Done by the Sheffield Council to remove the First Bus Service now its Getting Worse not Better,We Only got a Price Increase because the Drivers wanted the Public to Pay for there Pay Rise,Bus Drivers have Timetables on there Dashboard but its just a Load of Rubbish because they never Work to there Timetables and Know they can get away with this and never get no charge,if i was late for work to Often i would get Sacked,thats what annoys the Sheffield Public

Why do the drivers get the blame for being late, Hasn't anyone noticed the amount of traffic on the roads? Barnsley Rd, Infirmary Rd, in fact any road that bus routes run on have these obstacles, inconsiderate car & van drivers, road works, slow pass reading machines and the driver sorting out fares for people, all of these things add up on a route and make the drivers late.

Edited by lazarus

First are shocking

That's my experience too. On the 120 Fulwood route, a few weeks ago, I waited 40 minutes + for a bus. I saw three buses go up to the terminus, but none came down for ages. Eventually, two buses came - one straight after the other, they then took it in turns to stop at alternate stops to pick up passengers.

When I had got on the bus, I had (politely) asked the driver, why we had had to wait so long for a bus. He didn't answer at first, so I asked again and got the surly reply, "I'm on time". Some of the First drivers are okay, but in my experience, a lot of them are miserable, unfriendly and unhelpful.

Yesterday, I got a Stagecoach 83A and that driver was cheery, polite and couldn't have been more helpful when I asked which stop was best for Endcliffe Park Cafe.

I use FIRST everyday,and must say they arnt that bad.Most of us now own smartphones with access to App's that give up to date arrivals of buses so never really a problem if a bus is late. try the FIRST bus app or MOOVIT ,both are free and very reliable.

I use FIRST everyday,and must say they arnt that bad.Most of us now own smartphones with access to App's that give up to date arrivals of buses so never really a problem if a bus is late. try the FIRST bus app or MOOVIT ,both are free and very reliable.

Does the App make the bus come any sooner?

Does the App make the bus come any sooner?

Or a 'quick report' button for when services don't arrive? I have a feeling part of the problem is that travel companies' senior management don't realise how much of a problem it is. People with hands on purse-strings to sort things out are probably management or money people rather than bus people.