Pitsmoor in the 60s

Pitsmoor in the 60s, just my time and place. Football on the rec down to Caira's shop for 10 No 6 tipped, (5 park drive tipped if you didn't have much spends) got some bell bottom jeans and sewed some bells on, sounded like a herd of reindeer approaching. Then got an ex army khaki jacket and covered it with badges and messages in biro. Used to deliver the papers for Marshall's and for that other paper shop on Pye Bank close. Beer at the Loco club or Fox & Duck or the Highway, chips from the White Cottage, then a chippy opened next to Caira's at the back of the Loco. Huge leap forward in catering when they started doing battered mushrooms. Got a Vespa in the late 60s, it lasted about about 3 months through the summer then it packed up.

Glad I had friends who lived in the big flats, cos then I could go up and down in the lifts. Did they put families with kids in two blocks and families without kids in the other 2? Everyone my age seemed to live in the two blocks nearest the rec.

I absolutely refuse to use the phrase, "Them were the days".

Originally posted by pitsmoorlad

Pitsmoor in the 60s, just my time and place. Football on the rec down to Caira's shop for 10 No 6 tipped, (5 park drive tipped if you didn't have much spends) got some bell bottom jeans and sewed some bells on, sounded like a herd of reindeer approaching. Then got an ex army khaki jacket and covered it with badges and messages in biro. Used to deliver the papers for Marshall's and for that other paper shop on Pye Bank close. Beer at the Loco club or Fox & Duck or the Highway, chips from the White Cottage, then a chippy opened next to Caira's at the back of the Loco. Huge leap forward in catering when they started doing battered mushrooms. Got a Vespa in the late 60s, it lasted about about 3 months through the summer then it packed up.

Glad I had friends who lived in the big flats, cos then I could go up and down in the lifts. Did they put families with kids in two blocks and families without kids in the other 2? Everyone my age seemed to live in the two blocks nearest the rec.

I absolutely refuse to use the phrase, "Them were the days".

The four blocks of flats that you remember, on Andover street were demolished in the mid/late 1980's.

Mr PT and I lived on Andover Drive, under the shadow of the first of the high rise blocks, opposite the school, when our lad was small.

Our lad went to Pye Bank School. it was excellent, as on school mornings, all he had to do, was fall out of bed, and roll over, and he was in school.

( :) )

the first two were one-bedroomed flats, so, yes, you would have had couples / single people with no kids in those two blocks.

The second two blocks were a couple of storeys higher (15 storeys rather than 13 storeys) and they were 2-bedroomed flats, so, yes, your memory serves you well, your mates' families would have been housed in those two blocks.

PT

i was brought up in pitsmoor used to live on spital lane i can rember them building the flats dad used to go drinking in east house was in the pub when some1 got shot no change there then . i attended ellesmere school then burngreave mum worked at gowers and dad worked at british steel as it was then we used to play on the flats when they built them . they found a body of a woman in the flats in the late sixties who had been murded im now 49 god im old but you could leave your door open all nite in those days theives we few and far between then and knew what they would get if they stepped out of line happy days then not like todays rat race does any of you remember bevans shop and coliseium cinema and the chippy cross road any how thats all for now best regards steve

Originally posted by kazisindahouse

Does anyone know if there was a school on the land where the "old" Pye Bank Trinity was built and if there was, was it called St Catherines RC and was it a big old gloomy loking building?

I was born on Denholme Close 1965 and have memories of this building around the early 70's and I'm sure it was a school but my mum says she cannot remember it.

There has never been a school on that land.

It had houses on it which were demolished in 1967.

The land the present school is on used to be Bramber Street and Montfort Rd and I remember a barbers shop on there very close to the sign post.

We used to get all our wood from the houses for the bonfire and remember the houses derelict a while before they were knocked down and they were open right down into the cellars.

there is a Catholic school, in the area, called St Catherine's.

it still exists; my mates kids went there, her eldest daughter is just turned 16.

But, the School is/was on the Burngreave/Ellesmere side of Pitsmoor, IIRC, between the St Catherine's Catholic Church, (which faces onto Burngreave Road) and the Burngreave cemetery, and not the side of Pitsmoor with the Pye Bank Schools (PB infants, and PB trinity junior school) on them.

PT

Originally posted by Mrs P

Wonderful turnout yesterday. Lots of ex pupils turned up the majority of them in thier 70s and 80s,they had a wonderful trip down memory lane.The oldest pupil was a lady who will be 95 in Feb and the oldest member of staff was a Miss Fisher who is inher 80s.

Mr Bezent retired last year when the two schools amalgamated.

I know you wrote this a while ago but can we still get to look at some old photo's.

Do you know what happened to Mr Cook, his whereabouts today.

I persume he is dead but you never know.

If he aint dead,then he must be the oldest man on earth!!

john t

Nah not true.

He was there in the early 1980s and I reckon he may have retired in 1984/5.

Persuming he was 65 when he retired, that would now make him around 84/85 which is not the oldest man on earth.

Mr Cook looked older than he was with the bushy eyebrows and grey hair, though he could have retired at a much older age which would put him in his 90s now.

Your memory must be playing tricks on you,Mr Cook retired in the mid seventies.I know this as went to say good bye to him on the day he left,Martin robinson went with me as well...!!!

John t

I saw that The Tea Gardens Pub was up for auction with Mark Jenkinson.Not sure if it has been sold

I am 43 and lived in Pitsmoor on the flats just above The tea Gardens( Earldom Drive)

I lived there from the age of 5 until we moved to Jamaica Street when I was 17.

The flats were not the best place to live and most of them are gone.

I went to Burngreave Middle school and then moved on to Ashleigh Comp at Gleadless.

My brother ran a hardware shop on the corner of Scott Road( now a house)

Originally posted by john t

Your memory must be playing tricks on you,Mr Cook retired in the mid seventies.I know this as went to say good bye to him on the day he left,Martin robinson went with me as well...!!!

John t

Ya got the dates wrong somewhere, I took my Daughter to see him when she was small and he was still there in the early 80s thats for sure.

Gotta agree with John here .... soz!

Mr Cook did retire in the mid 70's. I was born '65 and started at Pye Bank in the early 70's. I can remember him still being there when I moved up to the Juniors which would have been what, 1974/1975. Mr Cook retired not long after.

Don't know if Pete Brittain took over straight away, but he was certainly the head of Pye Bank Trinity when the Juniors moved to Middle School which was 1977/1978. Mr Anderson was deputy head master there at the same time. Didn't he later take on the headship too?

I also heard that Mr Bezant, who was one of the teachers there also became the headmaster, but am not sure if that's true ... will have to check, also that he retired only recently.